loose steering

ggflyer46

Equipment
G6200, rc48 deck, 4000 tiller, snow blade
Jul 17, 2013
Northfield, Minnesota
Hi ya'll. New to this forum. I have a G6200H. The steering is very loose. Is there some way to adjust this? Or do I have to find new/used steering parts? Love the tractor but it's like herding cats all over the yard.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Your tractor looks to have a very simple open gear steering system. I don't think it is adjustable like the steering box on a larger tractor. Look for loose nuts holding the tie rod ends or drag link. My guess though it is from play between the small gear on the end of the steering wheel shaft and the sei-circle shaped sector gear. It also could be the bearing below the shaft is worn so the two gears can separate.

Attachments

Last edited:

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
I have the same model and as you said, I love it also but the constant adusting to the steering is a pain. One day I will dig into it and fix it. The location that it is in is the reason I am putting it off. It is not going to be easy to get to the steering mechanism behind the dash.

I use it to cut 5 acres and prefer it over my big tractor because it doesn't beat you to death.

The one thing that I find that helped is a steering knob on the steering wheel. It makes it more bearable.

ggflyer46

Equipment
G6200, rc48 deck, 4000 tiller, snow blade
Jul 17, 2013
Northfield, Minnesota
Thanks for both of your responses. I've looked at the steering system and was hoping for an easier fix. I looked at it last fall and figured that the mfgr. built the tractor around the steering plate. Looks like I'll have to take it all apart this fall. I have a steering knob on it and that does help a lot. I'll post a reply when I get around to fixing it. Thanks again.

02trike

Equipment
2007 BX2350, G5200
Jul 13, 2013
Greensburg, Pa. USA
Hello everyone I am a new member and not very good on the computer and I just bought a G5200H and my steering is also loose but I notice the first 1/8 turn effects the front axle first and then it turns the wheels. Is there a bushing in the front axel or could there be a bolt that needs tightened. I received no info. with the tractor and am looking for a free download for a service manual. I try to do all repairs myself and having a service manual really helps. I was told to join this forum because the people on here really know their stuff and also know where to get the parts new or used. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Thanks again.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hello everyone I am a new member and not very good on the computer and I just bought a G5200H and my steering is also loose but I notice the first 1/8 turn effects the front axle first and then it turns the wheels. Is there a bushing in the front axel or could there be a bolt that needs tightened. I received no info. with the tractor and am looking for a free download for a service manual. I try to do all repairs myself and having a service manual really helps. I was told to join this forum because the people on here really know their stuff and also know where to get the parts new or used. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Thanks again.
Welcome to OTT!
It is probably a compound problem- wear in the steering gear, wear in the pivot pin of the front axle, and possibly wear in the tie rod ends. For the best repair, you should go through the steering system, starting with the steering gear- that is a common point of wear. There won't be one bolt to tighten that will fix it.
As far as a free service manual download, I don't know of any (which doesn't mean a whole lot- I certainly don't know everything). If there are, someone will chime in or send it to you. Otherwise, there are some reasonable options on Ebay.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Welcome 02trike, the G5200 is a fine machine with one weak link, steering, but parts are availble, as for a parts breakdown follow this:
Go to Kubota home page and goto the parts tab, agree to all terms and type in G5200, you will find all information in the parts department, I would call Artman Equipment at (724) 337-3700 they are located 0n RT 380 just before Plum, closed on Mondays open 8-6 Tuesday thru Friday and 8:30 - 12:30 on Sataurday, they will more than likely have your parts in stock and technical help just ask for Big Bob, Young Bob or Joel.
I guess you can tell I like them, over 40 years as a Kubota dealer and full of information.

Big Kahuna