Looking to buy an acetylene/oxygen torch

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I read this site a lot and I can't believe how many guys waste their money at Harbor Freight tools!
You can find plenty of good tools at Harbor Freight if you know what to look for and plenty of junk at Home Depot if you don't.
I agree with both of you guys in part.

Like 183King said - HF does sell junk, but 99% of it is not junk. I have their Tool Cabinets, and I think they're great for a huge discount over others.

I have other HF stuff that is useful as a paper weight and little more.

Like Clay said - some of the wrenches, clamps, etc. are the same at Tractor Supply - Pittsburgh brand. Except HF is half or less.... HD, Lowes, TSC, all sell some junk.

But to the OP's original question, there are some things I will ONLY buy from the local guy. Was looking at Milwaukee Fuel 18 volt - 15 and 18 gauge nailers an hour ago at the local welding supply....

Last edited:

HWwelds

Equipment
B7200 & MTD 960 & 990
Feb 9, 2017
PENSACOLA, FL, USA
I have an need for a torch set up that can cut at least 3/8 inch. I have looked at northern tool, ebay etc. and everyone claims that depth.

My real question is what is a good model/brand of set up for an acetylene-oxygen torch that will not be under sized for my immediate needs and not be grossly over sized for the future. I will never me cutting 1 inch plus.

Semper Fi
If you don't plan to cut a lot of metal and fabricate, a plasma cutter may be an expense you don't want. You can find deals on Chinese CUT50 models that are much more affordable but you get what you pay for.

I'd love to have an American made Hypotherm 45 but I can't justify the expense as a hobbyist so a few years ago I got a Simadre CUT50DP with the High-Frequency pilot arch and I've since upgraded the torch and I can get through 1 inch if I need to. It's not smooth or clean without grinding, but it works. 1/2 inch is no problem though.

A BIG consideration with an Oxy/fuel set up that I learned reading through my Home Owners policy in Florida is that it is a deal breaker if I have acetyline on my property so before I had the plasma cutter, I used an Oxy/Propane torch and it worked fine. Propane is easy to get.

If you use an Oxy/fuel set up, learn everything you can on how to set it up and make sure you use the right hose for your torch if you go with Propane.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
I agree with both of you guys in part.

Like 183King said - HF does sell junk, but 99% of it is not junk. I have their Tool Cabinets, and I think they're great for a huge discount over others.

I have other HF stuff that is useful as a paper weight and little more.

Like Clay said - some of the wrenches, clamps, etc. are the same at Tractor Supply - Pittsburgh brand. Except HF is half or less.... HD, Lowes, TSC, all sell some junk.

But to the OP's original question, there are some things I will ONLY buy from the local guy. Was looking at Milwaukee Fuel 18 volt - 15 and 18 gauge nailers an hour ago at the local welding supply....
Hello all. For the record I went with a Northern Tool set up. I am quite happy. Ordered some scarfing tips and it removes welds like a dream. My only concern/issue is the price of acetylene. Friends have told me to buy a propane regulator and switch. Thoughts. I really have no reference but for the hobbyist farmer/really handy person should I switch over?

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
My only concern/issue is the price of acetylene. Friends have told me to buy a propane regulator and switch. Thoughts.
I use oxy/propane for cutting (also brazing, heating/bending etc) because it's WAY cheaper than acetylene and safer to transport and store too. Your acetylene regulator will work just fine. Note, however, that you'll need Type T hose, and special propane cutting tips. Both are relatively cheap - cheaper than a new regulator, for sure.

You won't be able to gas weld with propane, but there's not many times (except maybe for artistic stuff) where you can't get by with some form of arc welding instead of gas.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
I use oxy/propane for cutting (also brazing, heating/bending etc) because it's WAY cheaper than acetylene and safer to transport and store too. Your acetylene regulator will work just fine. Note, however, that you'll need Type T hose, and special propane cutting tips. Both are relatively cheap - cheaper than a new regulator, for sure.

You won't be able to gas weld with propane, but there's not many times (except maybe for artistic stuff) where you can't get by with some form of arc welding instead of gas.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into propane. I will never gas weld since I have a nice mig setup and it works great. The thing that really angers me is the price of a acetylene bottle plan or even a one year rental. The gas is ~$100.00 but a plan is $1000.00 or a rental here was $300.00. You still have to pay for the gas. I don't know what a T hose is but will find out and your right tips are between $10.00 and $20.00. Why doesn't everyone do this?

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
Steve - I should have typed "Grade T" hose, not "type". If you google grade t gas hose, you'll find out that Grade T is good for all gases including acetylene, and is flame and oil resistant to boot. Grade R hose (the usual on an oxy/acetylene rig) is good only for acetylene, and is NOT flame or oil resistant. Has something to do with the chemistry of the hose material, but it's beyond me. Go with Grade T, it's good for all uses.

I dunno why more people don't use oxy/propane. I saw employees at a metal supply store using it, asked them about it, and found out how much cheaper it is. You are right about acetylene, the cost is ridiculous. For my propane, I have a couple of the tanks you get for grills, and swap them at the hardware store for about $25 when I need a fresh tank. I have 2 so I always have a spare. You can buy a new filled tank for around $50, or just watch craigslist and pick them up cheaper.

Have fun!