Looking for buying and selling advice - 12+ Acre Lot

sscogin87

Equipment
B7510
May 9, 2023
Maine
Hello all - my family and I just purchased a piece of rural 12 acre property in western Maine and have found ourselves in need of a tractor. I currently have a used and abused B7510, but it needs too much tinkering for me to be useful at this time and I'm pressed to get this property in working order soon.

I'm considering selling the B7510. I got it for a decent price and put some work in to it repairing some issues - any idea if a dealer would take it on trade? I know I would be better off trying to sell it privately, but to avoid the hassle and in the interest of time I'd be interested in just trading it in.

The property has a gentle slope to it, a long driveway, needs some minor earthwork done, and about a quarter to half of it is a neglected orchard. We would be using a tractor to mow and maintain a lawn space between trees as well as brush hog once or twice a year another section. I'd also like to get a flail mower and slowly reclaim some of the property that has been left to become overgrown. Oh, and snow removal in the winter for the fairly long driveway (and other maintenance of it). I've got a large barn to store it out of the weather. We may also attempt to purchase a larger lot behind ours that would bring the grand total up to about 65 or 70 acres.

I'm considering a L2501 - curious if folks think this would be a right sized machine for what we are looking to do. Any input is greatly appreciated.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Of course I am a bit biased, lol, but my L2501 hst turned out to be a great choice for me. Price, simplicity, size, capabilities. My property is 56 acres of rolling oak savanna mixed with some acres of dense pines/hardwoods about 20 to 25 years of growth. Many will say that if you purchase the additional acreage that the L2501 will not be a large enough machine. I can not quite wrap my head around that. In my mind it is much more important to consider what implements and what jobs you envision doing with a tractor.

One factor that you mentioned is snow removal and mowing . The L2501 does not have a mid PTO option which for all practical purposes rules out a front mount snowblower and mid mount mower.

Side note: If not mistaken the L2501 has been replaced by the L2502 which means if buying new off the lot you may or may not have access to a L2501?

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'm fairly new to tractor'n, but I have never quite understood the relationship between land size and tractor size.

For instance; If you have 2,000 acres, but it's all forest/hunting land that needs not too much done to it, then a 2502/1 would be fine, I guess.

However; The antithesis of that would be if you had a 50 acre farm that required you to move those big gas round bales, and till 30 acres twice a year, then maybe something bigger would be appropriate.

To me, it seems like the amount of work needed to be done and the type of work needing done, would be the main driving factors in regards to tractor size.

Reactions: 7 users

sscogin87

Equipment
B7510
May 9, 2023
Maine
Of course I am a bit biased, lol, but my L2501 hst turned out to be a great choice for me. Price, simplicity, size, capabilities. My property is 56 acres of rolling oak savanna mixed with some acres of dense pines/hardwoods about 20 to 25 years of growth. Many will say that if you purchase the additional acreage that the L2501 will not be a large enough machine. I can not quite wrap my head around that. In my mind it is much more important to consider what implements and what jobs you envision doing with a tractor.

One factor that you mentioned is snow removal and mowing . The L2501 does not have a mid PTO option which for all practical purposes rules out a front mount snowblower and mid mount mower.

Side note: If not mistaken the L2501 has been replaced by the L2502 which means if buying new off the lot you may or may not have access to a L2501?
Thanks for the reply and insight. For snow removal, I'm planning on plowing the driveway instead of snow blowing. I'm also not opposed to using a rear PTO driven snowblower, although I've had some issues with wet, heavy snow clogging the tractor at a property I manage.

I'm hoping there are some last year models still on lots and can get a L2501, but I guess I'm not opposed to the L2502.

sscogin87

Equipment
B7510
May 9, 2023
Maine
I'm fairly new to tractor'n, but I have never quite understood the relationship between land size and tractor size.

For instance; If you have 2,000 acres, but it's all forest/hunting land that needs not too much done to it, then a 2502/1 would be fine, I guess.

However; The antithesis of that would be if you had a 50 acre farm that required you to move those big gas round bales, and till 30 acres twice a year, then maybe something bigger would be appropriate.

To me, it seems like the amount of work needed to be done and the type of work needing done, would be the main driving factors in regards to tractor size.
Yeah, I agree that it's more about usage than size. However, a bigger lot will generally require more work.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the reply and insight. For snow removal, I'm planning on plowing the driveway instead of snow blowing. I'm also not opposed to using a rear PTO driven snowblower, although I've had some issues with wet, heavy snow clogging the tractor at a property I manage.

I'm hoping there are some last year models still on lots and can get a L2501, but I guess I'm not opposed to the L2502.
MachineryPete.com currently has 64 used L2501 tractor listings.

Tractorhouse.com has 242 used L2501 tractor listings.
I would expect that you could find a nice low time L2501 among over 300 total listings.

Reactions: 1 users

sscogin87

Equipment
B7510
May 9, 2023
Maine
MachineryPete.com currently has 64 used L2501 tractor listings.

Tractorhouse.com has 242 used L2501 tractor listings.
I would expect that you could find a nice low time L2501 among over 300 total listings.
Thanks for the resource. I think we are going to finance a local tractor at this point. None of the tractors on that site are even remotely close to us.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
What sort of spacing do you have between the trees? That could potentially limit the size of the tractor you may want to consider.

Front snow blower eliminates tractors w/o mid PTO. LX or Grand L still have mid PTO's. LX will easily handle your 12 acres. However, if you were to acquire an additional 60, then I think I'd be looking for a considerably larger tractor.

Regarding mowing requirements, maybe ditch the brush hog and simply go with a decent sized flail mower (with hammers) that will serve double duty.

Best of luck in your decision.

sscogin87

Equipment
B7510
May 9, 2023
Maine
What sort of spacing do you have between the trees? That could potentially limit the size of the tractor you may want to consider.

Front snow blower eliminates tractors w/o mid PTO. LX or Grand L still have mid PTO's. LX will easily handle your 12 acres. However, if you were to acquire an additional 60, then I think I'd be looking for a considerably larger tractor.

Regarding mowing requirements, maybe ditch the brush hog and simply go with a decent sized flail mower (with hammers) that will serve double duty.

Best of luck in your decision.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the flail mower is certainly in the cards. I'd like to be able to clear some of the birch scrub that's overgrown on the sides of the property.

I can get between the current spacing of the apple trees okay with the B7510 and I hesitate to go much bigger due to spacing. The other acreage has one field that's about four or five open acres with some apple trees - the rest is wooded and we would probably keep it that way.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the resource. I think we are going to finance a local tractor at this point. None of the tractors on that site are even remotely close to us.
If you buy your tractor in NH, at Chappelle Tractor, (Brentwood, or Milford) you would at least save Maine sales tax,
You would need to pick it up in person.
I have done business with Chappelle in the past, and they have been very good to deal with.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Based on what you are saying, I think a L2501/L2502 would be good. Depending on whether you get cold easily or not plowing, you might want a cab. In that case, you'll want something bigger.

My L2501 does well with snow using a rear blade with chains. The L2502 has minor changes which some say are improvements like moving the brakes to the left side.

taylorce1

Equipment
L3010
May 4, 2023
Colorado
I'm pretty new here and very limited experience on compact tractors. I do have a lot of years of experience with tractors over 100 hp. I'll tell you buy as big a tractor as practical for your budget.

You can do a lot of work with a small tractor. A small tractor just takes more time to do the work a larger tractor will. I bought an L3010 for my 12 acres, and it will not see the work here in Colorado your tractor will in Maine. I still wish I had gone bigger, but my budget wouldn't allow for a bigger tractor.

My other big piece of advice is get a mower wider than your rear tires.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just a thought, and money is at the base of it all. You have a plan for right now, and thats good, a low hour L would be a good choice, parts while not cheap are readily available, add on's again not cheap, and that goes for any tractor. Snow and a brush hog or flail mower, and if you want to run a small bailer for hay for goats or sheep it will handle it. One thin you might want to remember is it is a tractor and not a 988 so you just remember there are limitations. So no matter what color you find, that has the things you want need, be safe thing every step through and do it again, Main thing is you enjoy what you are doing,, and if you go Orange welcome :) and even if you dont welcome anyways

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
What part of western Maine are you settling in SSCOGIN ??
are you new to Maine ? There is a weekly buy and swap magazine here 'Uncle Henry's " , they have new and used tractors. I'm in western Maine also. I got mine from Harry's Motorsports in Presque Isle. I saw his ad in the magazine and he delivers right to your door. The credit app is done thru his website. Your approved. It's delivered. A friend of mine got one last fall from them . Full cab, front snow blower ect. His current price for a L3301 is exactly the same as my uncle just paid in Auburn for a BX2380.
Two very different machines.

Attachments

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA

The dealers in my area have plenty of new L2501’s available.

Mike

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. Congrats on the land purchase. Before sell or buy anything, I’d recommend consider the tasks you need to do all the time, some of the time and rarely. Then out of those tasks (basically lifting, pulling or PTO) how large an implement you want to run, and in the case of lifting how much you want to be able to lift and / or move safely (with margin). Do you want to lift a pallet full of blocks, or pallet of feed or a tank of water or split wood or logs or round bales etc? If so how much weight? How much PTO you need? Have intention for snow removal? Plowing or blowing? Does the machine you are considering handle that? Regarding current machine does it have a mower deck? If so maybe it’s still of use / value?….is there lawn that needs mowed up close to buildings or fences or something? I am not sure what the used value of it it is but if it works a mower, why sell it? You may end up with more than one machine…if no need PTO, it you want to lift heavy stuff, keep the compact you have and get a Compact track or wheel loader. With the size and scope you mention I think there are some frequent jobs you might have which might mean a B or small L size machine and depending on how happy you get with work / weight you could easily be into a larger L / M or even a compact loader…compact loader will out lift and maneuver a tractor….so IMO consider all the tasks and the capability you want for them x frequency. Just my thoughts. Personally I don’t think the amount of acres really make much of a difference…I think the amount you want to lift or amount of PTO power you need should help nudge one to the correct tractor.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
1. L2501/2 will do everything you describe. It's a good tractor and a good choice
2. The alternative choice would be an LX - probably LX2610. It's about the same price, has about the same statistics, but is a lighter tractor. That is good and bad. You'd go to the LX if you need to trailer it between properties, if you're on the lawn a lot and want less weight, if you want a mid-PTO (for a mower or blower), or if you want a factory cab
3. If you're mowing with an L, then a flail can probably replace both a rear finish mower and a brush hog. They mow well enough on the lawn for most people, they can take a fair beating reclaiming land. They're not a rotary cutter, so they won't eat 1 inch saplings, but they do most of everything else. They also don't stick out so far, which is a benefit in many ways.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I think a L2501 would be a good choice as the LX2610 seems to be a little more tippy. But, my pucker factor is lower than others.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
I would have a hard time doing snow removal without a cab all winter.
I got a tractor with a cab.
I get cold to fast.
Wind blowing snow and rain do not sound like fun.

RustyPitchfork

Equipment
l35
Dec 29, 2022
usa
My biggest regret is not getting a more powerful tractor. I got a ~35hp and thought that would be fine as I had already jumped up from the around 20hp that I intended to buy initially, but really I should have gone with something near the 50s. Just my two cents.