Looking for an easy access for jump starting and charging

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I got about 6 tenders going all winter. 2 on the tractors, one shared by the quads, another on the side by sides one on the zero turn, one on the gararaged car and some on spare batteries. Hmmm, maybe I have seven. I've found the HFT ones (their better ones that sold for over $20 a few years ago) work fine. I think I have a couple of heavier one but can't recall the name. I can look later if you want. All came with multiple plug-in attachments.
Believe it or not: I actually have a total of 14 battery maintainers!
Each battery has it's own.
Some: Battery Tenders, some Battery Tender Jr's, some Battery Minders, and some NOCO Genius.
The Battery Tender brand has become stupidly expensive, so when needed, I look to the other brands.
I buy NOTHING electrical that is for unmonitored use, and sold by HF.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DepositGuy

Equipment
Kubota L5030 with cab, 6 foot Landpride Rotary Mower, Kioti LK3054, too many att
Sep 8, 2023
Southern Tier NY
Believe it or not: I actually have a total of 14 battery maintainers!
Each battery has it's own.
Some: Battery Tenders, some Battery Tender Jr's, some Battery Minders, and some NOCO Genius.
The Battery Tender brand has become stupidly expensive, so when needed, I look to the other brands.
I buy NOTHING electrical that is for unmonitored use, and sold by HF.
I can't disagree with your assessment of HFT electrical anything. Everything over ever bought has failed, most times after a couple of uses. The tenders are still functional though even after 2 or 3 years. I noticed they are a quarter of the weight of my Battery Tender branded ones.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I can't disagree with your assessment of HFT electrical anything. Everything over ever bought has failed, most times after a couple of uses. The tenders are still functional though even after 2 or 3 years. I noticed they are a quarter of the weight of my Battery Tender branded ones.
My primary reason for avoiding HF electrical items is fire safety.
IMHO, an unattended electrical item from HF, is a potential fire hazard.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: My primary reason for avoiding HF electrical items is fire safety.

guess you won't be buying a Tesla then !!!

Reactions: 1 user

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Not to change topic, but I've been looking at those for making it easy to hook up a 12V external fuel pump to my tractor for refueling. I would like to hear others that have used these and their experiences.
I have both my John Deere and Kubota set up with Anderson connectors on the exterior of the body, and 12 gauge wire connected to the battery because I have no power at my bulk diesel tank. The pump on the tank runs on 12 volts and has an Anderson connector on it so when it is time to fuel all I have to do is pull up to the pump, connect the 2 Anderson connectors together, and the pump fuels the tractor.

emac

Equipment
L3600, ZD1211, ZG20
Sep 13, 2021
SC
On my l3600 I just have a tender plug hanging out of the grill. The tractor gets used most of the year, so it rarely goes on the tender. Big fan of Battery Tender products.

emac

Equipment
L3600, ZD1211, ZG20
Sep 13, 2021
SC
I did. I found one "statistic" that based it on responses to car fires. If there are tons more gas cars running around, of course they are going to have a greater chance of being involved in a fire! Fun with statistics :) I will let others be the first to jump on the electric tractor wagon.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I did. I found one "statistic" that based it on responses to car fires. If there are tons more gas cars running around, of course they are going to have a greater chance of being involved in a fire! Fun with statistics :) I will let others be the first to jump on the electric tractor wagon.
Truth with statistics.

More cars increases total incidents not probability.

In the US analysis of NHSTB statistics indicates roughly 25 vehicle fires per 100,000 BEVs on the road compared to 1500 per 100,000 for ICE.

Sweden has a much higher concentration of BEVs on the road and a better fire database. Their data shows a 20X greater probability for ICE.

Either way the data are very substantially tilted to lower risk of vehicle fire with BEV. Hybrids on the other hand seem to be the worst.

Dan

Amarillo

Equipment
MX6000 w/ LA1065, tiller, disc, core aerator, box blade, shredder, Blast Sprayer
Jan 10, 2023
Amarillo, TX
For charging, Buy a Battery Tender. It comes with a ringed plug.

For DC power beyond, for a winch, etc., Use the plugs listed above. But go with 2 gauge or higher (numerically lower) wire. View attachment 117736
This is what I use on my tractor, zero turn mower and UTV. I install the cord in a way that it hangs out just enough to allow easy hook up and disconnect. Works great.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Serves multiple purposes. I can jump the tractor or I can jump a car or the genset from from the tractor.
I took a set of good jumper cables, cut them and installed matching Andersen connectors. The cable can act as regular jumpers being I put a connector on each end.
I put the same connector on my 3,000 watt AC 120V inverter and of course, the winch.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There no way that $5.95 connector in post #14 is good for any winch let alone 'jumping' any tractor.
Might be good for 10 amps ?? Most battery 'tenders' / maintainers only put out 2-5 amps.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Go with a NOCO GENIUS2D onboard charger and a GCP1 AC port plug

If you want to be able to plug in a block heater at the same time, go with a GCP2 port.
I was going to get a NOCO, but it seems that you have to mount the entire thing under the hood. I would much prefer to just run the wires from the battery to the area where my block heater is, then keep the battery tender in the shop.

I'm thinking of something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Tr...2309556&sprefix=triclke+charger,aps,81&sr=8-6

Amarillo

Equipment
MX6000 w/ LA1065, tiller, disc, core aerator, box blade, shredder, Blast Sprayer
Jan 10, 2023
Amarillo, TX
There no way that $5.95 connector in post #14 is good for any winch let alone 'jumping' any tractor.
Might be good for 10 amps ?? Most battery 'tenders' / maintainers only put out 2-5 amps.
The connector in post 14 is for a Battery maintainer. As he states, if you need to jump or run a winch, Use a thicker Guage wire.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
THERE IS a HUGE terminal on your starter. It has a LARGE cable coming from the POSitibe post of your battery directly to that terminal. If you place a VOLT meter on that terminal…you will see it is HOT all the time. However, the starter is not energized because the SOLENOID is not activated which completes the circuit to the armature of the starter.

Jump directly to that terminal. You can also place your charger directly on that terminal.
Place the NEGative lead of your charger onto the frame of the tractor or body of the starter mounting bolts.

No additional hardware or modifications needed.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I would like to read that study, please post the link.
Just google it. Google is your friend. By the way, that number I quoted was not based on cars on the road, it was based on fires per 100,000 vehicles, and the number google came up with was 20 to 80.