looking for a plow

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
Not sure if this is the place to post this question so mods please advise/move.

I was going to purchase a moldboard single plow from everything attachments and they produced one that had a coulter and wheel which I thought would be perfect and was made for smaller tractors and had been looking at them for over a year thinking I would buy a tractor one day. Well I did buy the tractor but they are no longer in business.

I am looking for advice on what brand and any other thing I may need to know regarding this purchase. I have around 1.5-2 acres that I want to plow and this has not been ever used for such.

I have a B2610 and know there are limitations. I have asked a few guys around here but the answers ranged from a Brinly to other companies and prices north of a grand. None of them seemed to sure so I am hoping y'all have some answers.

Garvini

Equipment
Kubota b26 hydraulic thumb pallet forks
Apr 4, 2022
Hingham, Massachusetts
I had ordered the quick attach 72 inch from Bxpanded…manual angle plow because I do not have front hydraulics…It was about $1800 delivered but they kinda kept changing the delivery date so I cancelled the order…with everything going on with everything attachments it’s a good thing you didn’t order with them…you may not have gotten it
i may still order it…I couldn’t find any bad reviews

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I did not realize that they went out of business until I called about 4 times and it went straight to voice mail. I went to leave a message but it said the mail box was full. I thought well this is a little odd but as a very (to) trusting guy I thought well maybe they are on vacation. I emailed them , nothing, I then posted a question on google if they went out of business. To my surprise I read with interest that they are in a multi million dollar lawsuit. I am very glad that I didn't order from them. It appears that all who did pretty much lost their money witht the majority if settled will go to the banks and then eventually will filter down to the small guy possible getting like 5 cents on the dollar.

Maybe somebody here can chime in why the companies that manufacture them don't include a coulter.

The quest for a decent single molboard plow with coulter that won't break the bank continues.

I had ordered the quick attach 72 inch from Bxpanded…manual angle plow because I do not have front hydraulics…It was about $1800 delivered but they kinda kept changing the delivery date so I cancelled the order…with everything going on with everything attachments it’s a good thing you didn’t order with them…you may not have gotten it
i may still order it…I couldn’t find any bad reviews

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I was in a market for a plow over last summer and finally purchased a used one…I could not stomach new. That being said I believe LP does make them with the coulter wheel in single and double moldboards. Not sure it meets price expectation, but they can be bought new with the coulter. Pricing may be more than expectation. 🥃

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeesh there has to be a zillion one furrow plows available from old farms ! Around here lots of Fords and Fergusons, $100-$200. Call local farm supply shops( Co-ops),dealers, used farm places, antique dealers, scrap yards.
I had a 3 furrow one here ,turned into a 2 furrow as i already had a great 3 furrow plow.

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
T
I was in a market for a plow over last summer and finally purchased a used one…I could not stomach new. That being said I believe LP does make them with the coulter wheel in single and double moldboards. Not sure it meets price expectation, but they can be bought new with the wheel. Pricing may be more than expectation. 🥃

Thanks to all who are giving me sound advice. I just hold of the dealer who I bought the tractor from and they handle LP. They quoted me $1,800 for a single with coulter. It appears to be very well built. 342 lbs. Going to keep looking. Prices are crazy. I would consider a used one but I heard you have to be careful the 3 point attachment isn’t to high. If it is you won’t be able to lift it high enough above the ground. Does that sound right ?
Anything other than that I should know about and problems hooking up to a 3 point CAT 1 - single moldboard plow ?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
yeesh there has to be a zillion one furrow plows available from old farms ! Around here lots of Fords and Fergusons, $100-$200. Call local farm supply shops( Co-ops),dealers, used farm places, antique dealers, scrap yards.
I had a 3 furrow one here ,turned into a 2 furrow as i already had a great 3 furrow plow.
Thank you , I certainly will start looking. Can I use any single plow for this tractor ?

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
Why do you need a coulter and wheel? I've turned over virgin soil with just a single plow, like this one:

The only reason is that a guy told me that it would be much easier with a coulter. Being new ti this I don’t know what to believe so that’s why I came here.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Colb56, I dont know where you are inthe keystone, I will offer this. If this is all unbroken ground, and you are going to do as large an area as you say. You might want to look around for someone close by that already has all the equipment to plow and disk things up. This would serve a 2 fold purpose, 1 it would give you time to find what you really want and need and 2 watching you will learn something as well. Just a thought from the coal country

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
T

Thanks to all who are giving me sound advice. I just hold of the dealer who I bought the tractor from and they handle LP. They quoted me $1,800 for a single with coulter. It appears to be very well built. 342 lbs. Going to keep looking. Prices are crazy. I would consider a used one but I heard you have to be careful the 3 point attachment isn’t to high. If it is you won’t be able to lift it high enough above the ground. Does that sound right ?
Anything other than that I should know about and problems hooking up to a 3 point CAT 1 - single moldboard plow ?
Oh my how many Karats was the plating? 😂. That’s exactly why I went used.

There are other options if you use Google foo, but they are sort of other direction 4-500…I’m not sure what getting there. But there are some with coulter as purchased new.

As far as how high it sits, well, it’s not a brush cutter that’s for sure. I’d look for something appropriately sized. I’d think smaller plow size is more likely to be a better fit / function for a B, but I don’t have experience with a B and a plow to be sure. Maybe if you can find spec drawing on one you can compare / measure 3 pt arms (sypher 😉). Hopefully some more knowledgeable members will chime in with product/implement knowledge.

I would offer I found the articles / video below helpful for my understanding. YMMV. 🥃

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
If you have ag tires, it'll easily pull a single furrow plow ! I've got a 9HP Sear garde tractor with a 10" Brinly plow with coulter and it slices/flips virgin sod over great. Running a 'real' plow on a 'real' tractor will be no problem.
Setup is critical but once you adjust it right...set and forget...go plow 1,000 acres if you want !
The coulter is supposed to slice the sod vertically, the plow then 'turns over' the sod. Makes for prettier furrows too.....
I'm just gasping at $1800 for a new plow.....

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
Alre
Colb56, I dont know where you are inthe keystone, I will offer this. If this is all unbroken ground, and you are going to do as large an area as you say. You might want to look around for someone close by that already has all the equipment to plow and disk things up. This would serve a 2 fold purpose, 1 it would give you time to find what you really want and need and 2 watching you will learn something as well. Just a thought from the coal country
already tried that. I spoke to one guy who I went to school with. He has some pretty large tractors and sidstepped my question. He said why don't you rent a rototiller ? When I heard him say that I said yea maybe I'll do that. I came home and told my wife that he was a jerk. I tried calling a guy who advertized about rototilling with his small tractor and I about threw up when he told me his price.

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
If you have ag tires, it'll easily pull a single furrow plow ! I've got a 9HP Sear garde tractor with a 10" Brinly plow with coulter and it slices/flips virgin sod over great. Running a 'real' plow on a 'real' tractor will be no problem.
Setup is critical but once you adjust it right...set and forget...go plow 1,000 acres if you want !
The coulter is supposed to slice the sod vertically, the plow then 'turns over' the sod. Makes for prettier furrows too.....
Tell me about it. I have searched the internet and found them from 300 to now 1,800. I ask myself what in tar makes thhe one that is 1800 that much better then the one that is a 1,000 or 800 or....

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
What's the difference between these two hand planters? ....other than $414 bucks.

Nothing...

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
I looked at h

I looked at the Brinly earlier today but didn't know if that was feasible or thought maybe it wasan't made well. Tried looking at craigslist and nothing. They are around $500 plus I needed 2 attachments to use it with a 3 point which brings me to around $650. Old and Tired a few posts up recommended one from Agri supply around 310.00 Now I am thinking whats the difference between that one and the 1,5000 one. Both are 1 plow, both use a 3 point. Maybe one is made in China and one in the US , maybe much beefier steel but that much ?

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
Oh my how many Karats was the plating? 😂. That’s exactly why I went used.

There are other options if you use Google foo, but they are sort of other direction 4-500…I’m not sure what getting there. But there are some with coulter as purchased new.

As far as how high it sits, well, it’s not a brush cutter that’s for sure. I’d look for something appropriately sized. I’d think smaller plow size is more likely to be a better fit / function for a B, but I don’t have experience with a B and a plow to be sure. Maybe if you can find spec drawing on one you can compare / measure 3 pt arms (sypher 😉). Hopefully some more knowledgeable members will chime in with product/implement knowledge.

I would offer I found the articles / video below helpful for my understanding. YMMV. 🥃

Thanks so much, watched and read with great interest. Yes a small plow will work better and I have searched google and found that the price range is pretty far apart. The main thing I am concerned with is my luck I will buy say one around 4-500.00 and it doesn't work well. I don't know.. just guessing but again there must be some reason why some are a LOT more then others, Better steel, Thicker steel, mark up much higher, country or manufacture. Trying to sort this out is cray

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Looked on Kijiji ( like craigslist) and found 20+ 2, 3 furrow plows..all +-500. Then TWO, 2 f plows for $260.
Hard to believes there are lots of Ford or Dearborn 1F plows down there !

Any real farmers nearby " Ask if they'll plow your patch for a few bucks ??

Just trying to think of more options for you...

ok, https://www.wengers.com/allis-calmers-1x-3pt-plow-coulter-and-guage-wheel-89855.html
knew there was a place in PA. probably have more, call see if other dealers closer to you ??

sad thing is I bought tractor, 3f plow, blade for less than just their plow price....24 years ago.

I know there's a nice one in town, as a friggin LAWN ORNAMENT !!! arrrrgh....

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
Looked on Kijiji ( like craigslist) and found 20+ 2, 3 furrow plows..all +-500. Then TWO, 2 f plows for $260.
Hard to believes there are lots of Ford or Dearborn 1F plows down there !

Any real farmers nearby " Ask if they'll plow your patch for a few bucks ??

Just trying to think of more options for you...

ok, https://www.wengers.com/allis-calmers-1x-3pt-plow-coulter-and-guage-wheel-89855.html
knew there was a place in PA. probably have more, call see if other dealers closer to you ??

sad thing is I bought tractor, 3f plow, blade for less than just their plow price....24 years ago.

I know there's a nice one in town, as a friggin LAWN ORNAMENT !!! arrrrgh....
Appreciate your help. I looked at the one for 550.00 wengers - located a little over 3 hours away. going to make some phone calls tomorrow. Prices are crazy high huh ? Tried to get a farmer next to me...went to school with him, nice guy buy gave the impression he didn't want bothered. I'll find one ! thanks again.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh, must be a 'new skool farmer'....I can call the one left near me(rest hhave pased on..) and he'd help me.
try local papers,maybe ,yuck, auctions....?
Post a wanted notice up in coffee shops that farmers hang out ??