Looking at purchasing a B8200 HST

Tractorfan

Hello, I am new here and to Kubota tractors. I have a few International Harvester tractors. But am looking at adding a Kubota to the stable. It's a 1990 B8200 HST, with loader and rear grader blade. I haven't seen it in person yet but from pictures and description is seems like a nice tractor. But I have a few questions. How well does the hydrostatic transmission hold up to loader use? Any known problems with these machines? The asking price is $8000 canadian. Does that sound like a fair price? Judging from the pictures it looks straight with good paint and decals. So I am basically looking for as much information as possible. Thanks. ;)

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi and welcome ,
you're in the right place now for all things orange and 4 wheeled.;):D

You wont regret owning a B8200, they are great machines, more power than the smaller B's but without being to much bigger, a really good compramise .
HST is a good choice , but so is the manual flavour.
there are no real bad points on them really, just the normal bits that you get on any used machine.
There have been reported issues with the hst variants with a front loader fitted and using turf tyres leading to transmssion issues, i've not had any issues with mine as a manual flavour but there have been reports of a few issues as above, maybe just the way the machine is being used though.
I have an early manual version which is unstopable , i do personally prefer the manual version but thats my personal choice but both versions are brilliant machines.
anway , i'd go for it , you wont regret it.
great with FEL and backhoes too.

rgds
rob

Last edited:

Tractorfan

Hi and welcome ,
you're in the right place now for all things orange and 4 wheeled.;):D

You wont regret owning a B8200, they are great machines, more power than the smaller B's but without being to much bigger, a really good compramise .
HST is a good choice , but so is the manual flavour.
I have an early manual version which is unstopable , i do personally prefer the manual version but thats my personal choice but both versions are brilliant machines.

great with FEL and backhoes too.

rgds
rob
Hi Rob, thanks for the quick reply. I am really looking forward to going to look it over. I have watched a few B8200 videos on YouTube. It looks like it would fit my needs perfect. Does the price sound about right? Thanks again.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
not sure on the price to be honest, i suspect other users in your area will have a better idea on value for money.

Over here in the uk they can be purchased for quite low prices , well for a fair condition model that is.
I paid £2500 for mine which had low hours and was in pretty good running order but needed a bit of paint work doing (just me being picky);)

runs well and has yet to let me down.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I think it is a bit high. Kubota declares a tractor obsolete at 35 years. That one is already 24 years. The smallest B series w/FEL is $16,300 on the Kubota web site; you can usually get 10-15% off that from a dealer, plus bonuses & package deals. I'd be thinking $6-7K.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
just checked exc rates, 4,333.49 GBP is expensive , i'd be looking for it at somewhere around the $5000 mark to be honest for a good example, unless they are throwing in soem decent extras with it.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Tractorfan, hydro failures are very expensive, however they're very infrequent with Kubota's as well. They pioneered the HST back in the 70's I believe and its been the industry standard since. I have a B9200 with some serious hours on it and the BF350 loader, I paid $8500 for it a few years back.

With the stuff I have pulled/pushed/moved plus the normal lawn mowing I use it for, I have had zero issues with my HST and would pick it over a DT every time.

I had manual steering and converted it to power steering, it was a PITA especially with a full load in the bucket. Now it works great with the power steering, zero complaints.

Tractorfan

Tractorfan, hydro failures are very expensive, however they're very infrequent with Kubota's as well. They pioneered the HST back in the 70's I believe and its been the industry standard since. I have a B9200 with some serious hours on it and the BF350 loader, I paid $8500 for it a few years back.

With the stuff I have pulled/pushed/moved plus the normal lawn mowing I use it for, I have had zero issues with my HST and would pick it over a DT every time.

I had manual steering and converted it to power steering, it was a PITA especially with a full load in the bucket. Now it works great with the power steering, zero complaints.
Thanks for the reply. I am starting to feel a little better about the HST. I was a little nervous at first that steady loader use may be to much for the tranny.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tractorfan,
Actually it easier on an HST system to do loader work then it is the older clutch and gear models. ;)

Last edited:

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
X2 on Wolfman's point. To be able to work your way into a pile of material, the HST wins over a clutch every time. Also, to reverse and attack pile again or turn around and dump, again HST wins. HST is literally designed to "slip" hydraulically and will last far longer than a clutch under the same circumstances.

The only place for DT tractors is really in wide open fields for plowing/tilling or to pull trailers or move something down roads for long distances. Anywhere else, I would take HST. HST will do those tasks as well, but holding a HST pedal for a 100 acre field or something is definitely not as nice as putting it in gear and just going.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
here you go, direct info from kubota so 100% accurate;)
If its got a BF300 or 300A which is the correct loader for the 8200 , the loader weights in at 617 lbs .
the B8200 weights in at at approx 1,565 lbs for the man version so a bit more for the HST.

so looking at 2,182 lbs minimum. for the B8200 with the loader fitted, anything else such as rear weights , wheel weights etc etc will all be additional weight you'll need to factor into your limits.

i think you'll be struggling with the trailer lenght , the b8200 at 105.5 inches long without the loader , then add another 24inches (approx) for the loader infront you're a shade under 11ft and thats only approx as i dont have the exact dimesions for the tractor with loader fitted, but it wont be less than that, you'll have some leeway because the rear 3pt arms are included inthe tractor lenght, but its still a bit close.
rgds
rob

Last edited:

Tractorfan

here you go, direct info from kubota so 100% accurate;)
If its got a BF300 or 300A which is the correct loader for the 8200 , the loader weights in at 617 lbs .
the B8200 weights in at at approx 1,565 lbs for the man version so a bit more for the HST.

so looking at 2,182 lbs minimum. for the B8200 with the loader fitted, anything else such as rear weights , wheel weights etc etc will all be additional weight you'll need to factor into your limits.

i think you'll be struggling with the trailer lenght , the b8200 at 105.5 inches long without the loader , then add another 24inches (approx) for the loader infront you're a shade under 11ft and thats only approx as i dont have the exact dimesions for the tractor with loader fitted, but it wont be less than that, you'll have some leeway because the rear 3pt arms are included inthe tractor lenght, but its still a bit close.
rgds
rob
Thanks Rob for looking up the weight for me. I think I am going to be a new Kubota owner. :D I went to look it over and got to run it some pushing snow banks back. It works great, and the HST works awesome. If I do take it, I can get it delivered for nothing. :cool: