Loader Hydraulic Line Change and Question

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

I have a BX1860 with the Kubota LA203 loader. I noticed late last week that one of the four hoses that come off of the hydraulic block on the lower-right of the tractor was starting to leak.

On Saturday I went to the auto-parts store and got all the hoses made-up figuring that if one was going, the other may well be following.

At any rate, I changed all four this morning, being careful to color-code the hard lines the hoses connect into on the hydraulic block. After making all connections, I started the tractor up to check for any leaks.

I was surprised and a little freaked-out to find that all functions seemed to work except the dump function...except when the stick was pushed all the way over, past the detent. Doing this would dump the bucket. I cycled the hydraulics a number of times as well as topped off the hydraulic fluid and still the dump function would not work. It actually sounded like it went immediately into relief, which was odd and made me think something was blocked. I then removed the new hose and put back on the old hose (which wasn't damaged yet) to rule out the possibility of something wrong with the new hose - same deal, the bucket would not dump (except when the stick was pushed all the way over) and it sound like the hydraulics went directly into relief. Next I swapped the quick disconnects, which made it so that pushing the stick both left and right made the cylinder dump - lost curl altogether - obviously not the answer, but figured I'd try it.

Well, low and behold when I hooked the quick disconnects back up in the correct order both dump and curl worked... This left me confounded and now I'm wondering if perhaps there was just air in the line and it needed to work all the way out? Or perhaps the quick disconnect just wasn't seated all the way somehow?

Has anyone else had this happen to them after changing hydraulic lines? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Hi-

I have a BX1860 with the Kubota LA203 loader. I noticed late last week that one of the four hoses that come off of the hydraulic block on the lower-right of the tractor was starting to leak.

On Saturday I went to the auto-parts store and got all the hoses made-up figuring that if one was going, the other may well be following.

At any rate, I changed all four this morning, being careful to color-code the hard lines the hoses connect into on the hydraulic block. After making all connections, I started the tractor up to check for any leaks.

I was surprised and a little freaked-out to find that all functions seemed to work except the dump function...except when the stick was pushed all the way over, past the detent. Doing this would dump the bucket. I cycled the hydraulics a number of times as well as topped off the hydraulic fluid and still the dump function would not work. It actually sounded like it went immediately into relief, which was odd and made me think something was blocked. I then removed the new hose and put back on the old hose (which wasn't damaged yet) to rule out the possibility of something wrong with the new hose - same deal, the bucket would not dump (except when the stick was pushed all the way over) and it sound like the hydraulics went directly into relief. Next I swapped the quick disconnects, which made it so that pushing the stick both left and right made the cylinder dump - lost curl altogether - obviously not the answer, but figured I'd try it.

Well, low and behold when I hooked the quick disconnects back up in the correct order both dump and curl worked... This left me confounded and now I'm wondering if perhaps there was just air in the line and it needed to work all the way out? Or perhaps the quick disconnect just wasn't seated all the way somehow?

Has anyone else had this happen to them after changing hydraulic lines? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for any help!
I’ve had that happen a couple of times when I didn’t get the quick connect fully seated. First time it was a bit concerning. Second time I just disconnected the non-functioning line and reconnected. Both times everything “looked” right but obviously wasn’t.

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I’ve had that happen a couple of times when I didn’t get the quick connect fully seated. First time it was a bit concerning. Second time I just disconnected the non-functioning line and reconnected. Both times everything “looked” right but obviously wasn’t.
Thanks - it definitely was concerning...I tried not to panic, but could hear my wife going "ok, now what did you break and how much is it going to cost to fix it?"

Thanks again!