loader cylinder rod bent on my 2020 kubota l3560

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
More then likely you used the bucket to back drag and tipped the bucket to far forward. When back dragging always keep the cutting edge pointed away from the tractor. In other words do not extend the bucket 100% and then back drag.

Reactions: 1 user

spf58

Equipment
loading, mowing, tilling, pushing
Aug 2, 2021
michigan
More then likely you used the bucket to back drag and tipped the bucket to far forward. When back dragging always keep the cutting edge pointed away from the tractor. In other words do not extend the bucket 100% and then back drag.
How could back dragging bend the cylinder ram rod and not bend the supporting brackets first? Been on a farm for over 30 years and have never seen a bent cylinder rod before.
Something is not engineered correctly in my opinion.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
How could back dragging bend the cylinder ram rod and not bend the supporting brackets first? Been on a farm for over 30 years and have never seen a bent cylinder rod before.
Another cause of a bent cylinder is something getting caught between the cylinder and the loader boom

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The rod bends first because it "It is the weakest link."

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Without any context yes this is the most common issue. OP when you fully curl the bucket out (or down) all the way, the maximum length of the hydraulic cylinders are exposed. This puts the overall cylinder in its weakest position to withstand strain. Most of the time you hit a stump, rock or something that jars against the bucket and bends that cylinder in its exposed position.

@spf58 do you recall doing any of this type of work and if so hitting anything hard with the bucket in this position?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The rod bends first because it "It is the weakest link."

If you're back dragging with the bucket angled all the way down and the cylinder rods fully extended, would setting the loader in float mode be a good idea, assuming that you don't need a lot of downforce other than the weight of the bucket and loader?

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If you're back dragging with the bucket angled all the way down and the cylinder rods fully extended, would setting the loader in float mode be a good idea, assuming that you don't need a lot of downforce other than the weight of the bucket and loader?
With the bucket dumped at 100% the edge is pointed toward the ground enough that it will catch a root or rock or something else and put a shock load on the cylinders. Even in the float mode the cylinders are prone to damage. It takes just an instant for the bucket to catch and bend the rods.

As Neil stated in the video the edge pointed away from the tractor will work almost as well as when the bucket is being dumped 100% with a great deal less of a chance to damage the loader.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Just take a close look at most commercial class TLB's. The bucket cylinder geometry is completely reversed. The bucket cylinder is connected to the bottom of the bucket (instead of the top) for that very reason. When the bucket is "opened" fully (or dumped), the cylinder that drives it is completely retracted into the cylinder housing making them almost impervious to damage from back dragging.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
la555? I notice the cylinder caps look different than the ones on my 2017 model. I would file a KTAC claim. That cylinder is probably more than $1200. I would also check to make sure the other side is not bent as well. Like others have said, more than likely you back dragged too far with it.

spf58

Equipment
Aug 2, 2021
michigan
la555? I notice the cylinder caps look different than the ones on my 2017 model. I would file a KTAC claim. That cylinder is probably more than $1200. I would also check to make sure the other side is not bent as well. Like others have said, more than likely you back dragged too far with it.
Thanks
What is a KTAC claim?

spf58

Equipment
Aug 2, 2021
michigan
Without any context yes this is the most common issue. OP when you fully curl the bucket out (or down) all the way, the maximum length of the hydraulic cylinders are exposed. This puts the overall cylinder in its weakest position to withstand strain. Most of the time you hit a stump, rock or something that jars against the bucket and bends that cylinder in its exposed position.

@spf58 do you recall doing any of this type of work and if so hitting anything hard with the bucket in this position?
I was not Back Dragging anything. I was slopping a ditch from the bottom side going up. Approaching the bottom of the ditch from the side that was already slanted. I was doing this to make it so I could mow it versus using a weed whacher.
Having abused a lot of tractors in the past, this tractor is not built well enough to handle the job if back blading will bent a cylinder without me even knowing that hit something hard enough to bend a rod!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I was not Back Dragging anything. I was slopping a ditch from the bottom side going up. Approaching the bottom of the ditch from the side that was already slanted. I was doing this to make it so I could mow it versus using a weed whacher.
Having abused a lot of tractors in the past, this tractor is not built well enough to handle the job if back blading will bent a cylinder without me even knowing that hit something hard enough to bend a rod!
Sorry I might not be fully grasping this, was the bucket curled out and then maybe you pushed into the slope?
I agree with you on the build if that is the case seems a bit under built.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Thanks
What is a KTAC claim?
If financed through kubota, you payed for insurance in the loan.$250 deductible. If you payed cash then i doubt you have it, since it is not ringing any bells. Your dealer should still work with you on the issue. You machine is relatively new. It may be a defect. You never answered my question, is this a La555 or la805?