load distribution on FEL chain hooks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I didn’t say anything about an attack.

You seem to have a problem with math. If the load on the chain is 17.4 tons per side, each link would be 8.4 overloaded. You don’t get to add all of the numbers together.

Btw, you are intentionally violating the design of your bucket as well by both welding to it, and also, lifting from the center. So, please don’t have anyone near you. Joking, but you are over the top.

Again, since you seem to have missed it, I can put my chain at 45 degrees and each hook will be less than your 90 degree single hook that is giving you a chance to bend your bucket. I could also use a spreader bar which would be easy to do and double the total capacity. I could also use a much strong chain to decrease the risk. Meanwhile, you would still be taking a chance to bend your bucket.

Obviously, I am honestly discussing the design. I agree that I had a misunderstanding of the effect of sideforce. But, no matter how hard you try the principles of the approach far exceed the single hook in the center method albeit with a modification to use a 45 degree angle.
Jim, I don’t mean this harmfully at all…but first-off, you are only imagining my set-up. I’ve never said I have a “single hook” either. And, I will not likely bend my bucket because it has a 1/2” by 6“ by 48” steel plate welded across its lip…..to which I added dual hooks….and I’ve not “violated” any design of my bucket. I’ve no problem with math but you’ve one with geometry, I believe.

I am not your enemy.

Good luck with your setup.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Jim, I don’t mean this harmfully at all…
Actually, to be clear we are talking physics of the sideload force not geometry. Again, I still have no idea why you imply I think you are trying to be harmful.

Like I said over and over, I can lengthen the chain which changes the angle and reduces the sideforce. You have changed Kubota’s design by welding to it. Did you hurt it? Who knows, and most of us don’t care.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Of course, I did.
So it’s OK if YOU do it…but if anyone else does it …and uses it in a less stressful manner…they are all-wrong…. I see.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
So it’s OK if YOU do it…but if anyone else does it …and uses it in a less stressful manner…they are all-wrong…. I see.
No, you don’t see … obviously.