liquid ballast question

wvcamper

Equipment
L3400
Jan 8, 2010
grafton, WV
Have a question about the mixing of antifreeze and windshield washer fluid.
I am on a fairly snug budget, so I need to work cheap, for a lack of better words. I have decided to use windshield washer fluid to ballast the tires on my L3400 - 24 gallons per tire. The cheapest I can find is good for 20 below. I would like to lower that temperature a bit, so my thought was to substitute a couple gallons of antifreeze per tire.
So here is the question, since I am not a chemist. Would there be any adverse reaction that I should be concerned with by mixing antifreeze and windshield washer fluid?? Obvioulsy antifreeze mixes with water, but the ammonia in the washer fluid is my concern..
Thanks in advance for any input.
David

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Just my 2 cents, but I am in NH, well north of you and I just use straight washer fluid, never had a problem. Only gets below zero a couple times a year here and I have only seen below -20 once since moving to southern NH.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
3.99 a gallon for WW antifreeze is outrageous.
I had my tires filled with Rimguard beet juice at $2.95 a gallon and $25 labor to put 50 gals in each tire.

hav24wheel

Equipment
L275
Oct 13, 2009
ND
3.99 a gallon for WW antifreeze is outrageous.
I had my tires filled with Rimguard beet juice at $2.95 a gallon and $25 labor to put 50 gals in each tire.
Calcium Cloride cost me $1.48 a gallon installed....

Just sayin...

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Question
Does the tire need a tube to be filled for ballast?

My current set up (rice tires) has some pretty good wear in a few spots.
So much so that I can see some of the white tire ribbing.

hav24wheel

Equipment
L275
Oct 13, 2009
ND
Depending on what you use in it, yes tubes are a good idea. A lot of the older tires have tubes in them. My L275 came with tubes. With tube less tires if you run chloride you would have to fill it over the top of the rim. If the wheel isn't covered in chloride they will rust really fast from the inside out.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Depending on what you use in it, yes tubes are a good idea. A lot of the older tires have tubes in them. My L275 came with tubes. With tube less tires if you run chloride you would have to fill it over the top of the rim. If the wheel isn't covered in chloride they will rust really fast from the inside out.
Which is why I went with the rimguard - non-corrosive
Cheap at the price for an eventual very spendy rim replacement

hav24wheel

Equipment
L275
Oct 13, 2009
ND
Which is why I went with the rimguard - non-corrosive
Cheap at the price for an eventual very spendy rim replacement
I was going to go that way, But only place in town that sells ot wanted $3.99 a gallon! Funny partt was that's what they wantewd for chloride too. That's one major reason I went elsewhere and got it a lot cheaper.