Lining up FEL attachments on larger tractors

Sixmaxwells

Equipment
Kubota L3560 & M4D-071
Mar 27, 2020
Callahan, FL
Any tips on lining up front end loader for larger tractors? I previously had a l3560 and could at least halfway see what I was doing when changing front end attachments.

I tried for the first time today with m4-71 and basically had to get lucky to get it hooked up. Any tips would be appreciated!

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Only have a B model but, thinking about building an open front shed with shelf for SSQA attachments and storing 3pt implements below shelf.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
THAT is why the SSQA was invented. I know, probably a lot of coins to add to your tractor BUT consider the time you waste ($$$) EVERY time you load/unload the loader...
Say you do it once a week and it takes 15 minutes, there's an HOUR gone. At $100/hr, that's $1200 out the door and 12 hours LOST . If you're using the tractor for farming, you NEED to be able to quickly and safely run equipment,SSQA is one such tool.
When I bought my BX23S 3 years ago ,it HAD to come with SSQA. dealer understood why. even though I've been retired for 33 years, I don't like to waste what time I have left on PITA stuff like lining up 4 pins on heavy things I can't budge !

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
IMHO SSQA on my M7040 FEL is a lot better than driving pins in/out when changing FEL attachments but SSQA was designed for a machine such as a skid steer with no hood blocking operators view.

My solution would be a device similar to a backup camera only aimed forward instead of rearward.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: But it you can’t see the front then it doesn’t help much

wow that's scary ,to me at least NOT, being able to see what's up front and close.

if possible, always put bucket in the same place,use some 'reference' to get you lined up ?

Sixmaxwells

Equipment
Kubota L3560 & M4D-071
Mar 27, 2020
Callahan, FL
re: But it you can’t see the front then it doesn’t help much

wow that's scary ,to me at least NOT, being able to see what's up front and close.

if possible, always put bucket in the same place,use some 'reference' to get you lined up ?
Probably so... this was my first change out ever on this tractor but I was just surprised at the lack of view.
To make matters worse I had dropped off my bucket and was trying to pick up a grapple which for me anyways requires more sensitivity or else you’ll tip it over. I’m imagining the bucket will be much easier to connect because you can push on it a little more until it lines up.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
SSQA steals too much lift-capacity, requires alteration of ALL existing attachments, and costs too much for my tastes (speaking of conversions from pin-on attatchments):

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
SSQA vs pins is like Ford vs Chevy...
but
#1 SSQA doesn't 'steal too much lift capacity' IF you buy/fab implements that are lighter., 'problem' solved. My SSQA BX23s can lift what the manual says it can as a pinon loader.

#2 NONE of my SSQA attachments needed ANY mods, unlike the 'Quickhitch' stuff out back....

#3 cost ?? SSQA option was a LOT cheaper than 3 months of meds and drs from trying to get 4 pins in. I've converted a'pin-on'style bucket to SSQA, cost was $20 in steel, 2 hrs of my 'free' time. Actually the steel was free, 20 was retail cost if you have to buy it.

I understand a LOT of Kubots owners aren't 'handy bodgers' and have to buy items,frankly 'based on this forum', I'm surprised how many aren't 'wrenchturners' as most farmers HAVE to fix stuff on the farm, can't wait or afford the dealer to repair stuff.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I marked the edges of the SSQA on the back plate of my bucket, pallet forks and grapple with black on white arrow pipe marker tape. Sidecar flip said it was a stupid sticker for a stupid person but it helps me line up my attachments.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If I had the need to change SSQA on a large tractor I would buy an old hay 4 wheel wagon and build stations for each attachment. That would allow the attachments to be high enough to see them when changing them. The attachments are off the ground. Make racks to hold the attachments as you change the attachments so the reattachments are easier to do. If you have a project across the farm the attachments could follow you to were they are needed or in and out of the barn.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I marked the edges of the SSQA on the back plate of my bucket, pallet forks and grapple with black on white arrow pipe marker tape. Sidecar flip said it was a stupid sticker for a stupid person but it helps me line up my attachments.
That is one clean tractor I like it 👌

Sixmaxwells

Equipment
Kubota L3560 & M4D-071
Mar 27, 2020
Callahan, FL
The elevated platform is a good idea! I may just place my front end loader attachments on my gooseneck trailer. That should work! Thanks for the help guys. and holy smokes yes that’s a clean tractor

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
I’d buy a backup camera with an led screen. Mount the screen somewhere you can easily see it but out of the way. Usually a 7” screen is plenty. Then mount the camera on the front of your tractor. You can buy these super cheap, around $50 for the camera and screen. check Amazon and you will have a bunch of options.

the other benefit to this is you will have a set of eyes for when your doing work as well.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you feel comfortable driving standing up, try that.

I had problems seeing forks when sliding forks in to move pallets off the ground. So I often end up driving the HST standing up for the brief pallet on forks maneuver. For mine, the seat switch is a flipper type under the seat so I can (and do) bypass it with a busted paint stir stick and a binder clip. Sometimes I like the seat switch so I don’t care to totally bypass. If the paint stick and binder clip didn’t work I’d have a switch on the fender to have the option to have the seat switch off or on.

Anyway, if you feel comfortable driving standing up, try it.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I had a heck of a time lining up FEL atachments to connect to my 4760. I found that if I lean far to the left and look outside the loader arm I can see much better to make the connection. I have an open station but I would guess it would work on a cab model also.