Limp stick

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
:p

last fall the last time I mounted the MMM I noticed the loader joystick wouldn't return to center. as such, it also robbed hydraulic power for the 3pt.

Fast forward to today I finally decided to dig into it ( no snow this year as yet, so no need to be in a hurry ) also put a new seat on as well.

I figured it was the spring in the control valve had collapsed/rusted and I wasn't far off.

there are 2 cups similar to what you see here, facing each other that holds the spring partially collapsed
moving spool either way the srping will push back and center the spool ( and the stick )

The actual spring, somewhat cleaned up

the failed lower cup

left side is " bucket curl" which is the one that failed, right side is lift lower and "float" the detent for float is inside the lower cup, the spring is in the extension housing

The cups have no drain holes but do have "weep" grooves in the upper edge, which would let water in ( or leaking hyd fluid out ) and they hold water.

I haven't pulled the right side yet, no sense poking the bear before I have parts, I'm sure it's in similar condition.

Hoping I can get spring rebuild kits, Messicks lists them and has a price, so they "should" be available ? I'll check local and Messicks, this has to be a common issue. I can't see having to replace the whole valve because of this .

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
When I saw "Limp Stick" I thought "Maybe the guy needs to go to a DOCTOR!" :eek:
Keep us posted on the parts hunt. A lot of the hyd controllers are just sold as the whole unit

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yeash looks like the inside of my air compressor reg. If that doesn't work out might do better scraping off some of that grime and finding the actual manufacturer and their part number. Let us know.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Whew,

Went to Kubota store today, parts guy was pretty helpful.

told him what I had and needed and he just kinda looked at me, then says, " Ya know, I don't think I've ever sold any control valve parts " ....... :confused:

UM, well there's a first time for most everything, right ? :D

He looks up the loader by model and serial, and wouldn't ya know, there is a parts breakdown for the control valve. ( I knew this, but didn't let on just yet )

he prints out a picture of the valve and hands it too me. I show him what I need, and he looks it up, there is a parts listing AND it is available. kits for both spools.

They ain't cheap, the spring and cup kit retail for $90 for the curls side, and $143 for the lift/lower/float side ( includes new detent parts for float as well as springs ) :(

The entire control valve retails for $980 :eek:

The parts are available in Georgia I am told, and a little cheaper if I order with their stock order ( no shipping ), I'm in no hurry.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
LOL, if I didn't already have the parts to repair my current valve, I'd bid on that

betting the reserve is $400 or better. Kubota list was $980

will keep an eye on it, see what it sells for.

Thanks

and as to your previous post, Husco will not sell Kubota parts direct per contractual agreement

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
LOL, if I didn't already have the parts to repair my current valve, I'd bid on that

betting the reserve is $400 or better. Kubota list was $980

will keep an eye on it, see what it sells for.

Thanks

and as to your previous post, Husco will not sell Kubota parts direct per contractual agreement
There is NO RESERVE on it. I would buy it "Just in case"

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Got the kits for the control valves, NOT CHEAP ! if I had seen the control valve on Fleabay before I had ordered these, I would have gone that way, these were special order, non-returnable. Oh well.

new kits have EVERYTHING including the cup and bolts for the lower end of the spool ( o-ring and backer included )

the screw that holds the cups and springs on the end of the spool has been "redesigned" the original scew was slotted on the head, which doesn't work well for removal or instalation as the screw is also treated with Yellow loctite compound.
new scew is allen hex head, though does appear to be rather soft

bottom of the valve body each spool has an o-ring and a backing ring

o-ring, backer with ridge down into plate, flat side of plate to valve body

Last edited:

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
You'll notice the hex is rounded out a bit, seems the screw is a bit soft, the thread lock compound made it a little difficult to seat the screw fully, 3/16" hex and then a 5mm hex. I stopped before it got ugly

springs installed and assembled

and the cup installed

and my lovely assistant

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
I took the other cup apart to inspect, as I did get a build kit for it as well, the detent for "float" position is in the end of the cup, the spring is in the extension housing.
spring and cups looked good, detent cup and balls were a bit crudded up, so I pulled that apart and cleaned all.
I didn't get pictures as my hands were all greasy from reassmbly, getting the 4 small balls and single large ball in position and fighting spring pressure, all while still on the machine, it was a trick, but I have a pretty cool lil helper tool

the cupped end perfectly holds the center ball allowing you to push against the spring to seat the cup and other 4 balls of the detent.
The tool came OEM in early Toyota 4x4 trucks to allow you to grease the U-joints and center ball in the double cardan CV joint in the front driveshaft. the other end is an open grease fitting to stick your grease gun nipple on.