Lifting with Chain/FEL

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Ballast began as the old 3 pt. dirt scoops folks have in their yards for ornaments. Helped neighbor remove a heavy weight machine out of his basement and he gave me the weights. I modified the dirt scoop, clamped the weights together and welded brackets on the ends and stacked them in the scoop. Total weight is about 1100#. Cost: welding rod, paint, elec. and time!
Impressive work! Looks pro. Looks like you used lat pulldown or other gym equipment weights as additional ballast. There are a ton of old machines out there that I can yank iron weights from. I wish I had my welder set up for use in our current house, I ran 100amp service to my 3 bay garage when the generator was installed but have not ran any electrical yet.. my two wall outlets run off of the kitchen GFCI circuits... Not sure how the old homeowner managed doing anything out there while his wife was using appliances.

I'm going to look around this weekend to see if anyone has a stout 54" or 60" box scraper this weekend.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
that kind of "I" bolt looses drastic capacity with any side load
Yep… And that 2700# working load limit is pretty worthless if the stud or bolt they’re threaded onto isn’t rated even higher. It’ll pull/strip the threads right-off and then you’re in trouble.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Yep… And that 2700# working load limit is pretty worthless if the stud or bolt they’re threaded onto isn’t rated even higher. It’ll pull/strip the threads right-off and then you’re in trouble.
Agreed although I doubt the galvanized allthread will break or strip threads... Even the weakest grade 2 1/2-13 allthread on McMaster Carr is rated to tensile strength of 50kpsi. Even @baronetm slabs that weigh 2-3x more than my piers were lifted using the same size fasteners (may have been different grades).

I may install the base + 2 columns of the pier in advance then (360lbs) vs. the fully assembled (500lbs) and once it's lowered into position, I can install the last two columns without needing a bunch of extra room since I can reach them from ground level.

The eye nuts will be installed to full thread depth and I'll epoxy the top 1" of the allthread to make it a solid connection and then trim the top 1" off after they are placed in the trench. Alternatively I can use the jam nuts that were previously suggested to achieve a similar result.

Here's my idea for chain hookup based on the feedback received (will trim the chain later):

PXL_20220605_155829134.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Agreed although I doubt the galvanized allthread will break or strip threads... Even the weakest grade 2 1/2-13 allthread on McMaster Carr is rated to tensile strength of 50kpsi. Even @baronetm slabs that weigh 2-3x more than my piers were lifted using the same size fasteners (may have been different grades).

I may install the base + 2 columns of the pier in advance then (360lbs) vs. the fully assembled (500lbs) and once it's lowered into position, I can install the last two columns without needing a bunch of extra room since I can reach them from ground level.

The eye nuts will be installed to full thread depth and I'll epoxy the top 1" of the allthread to make it a solid connection and then trim the top 1" off after they are placed in the trench. Alternatively I can use the jam nuts that were previously suggested to achieve a similar result.

Here's my idea for chain hookup based on the feedback received (will trim the chain later):

View attachment 81345
I think you’re heading in the right direction! (y)

Just be careful of the lateral loads as others mentioned. I didn’t think of that either, but certainly makes sense.

Hoping your project goes well. Those piers are pretty slick…..

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I think you’re heading in the right direction! (y)

Just be careful of the lateral loads as others mentioned. I didn’t think of that either, but certainly makes sense.

Hoping your project goes well. Those piers are pretty slick…..
Thank you! I hope it all goes well. Plan is to set everything up 2/3 of the way and move sloooooooow, shouldn't take more than a half hour 😁

I'll start a porch rebuild thread soon to document all the progress.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Fair enough, I needed an excuse to buy a box blade or rear implement. Thank you for sharing, your tractor is a lot heavier than mine so I will definitely need counterweight. Is your ballast box custom? I haven't seen one that nice online 😭

Noted, I will need to grab a box blade or ballast box before I start moving these things around.
You should not need additional ballast to lift 500 pounds a foot or two off the ground. I routinely move more than that and lift higher with a L3901 and nothing on the rear.

Dan

• Love

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
You should not need additional ballast to lift 500 pounds a foot or two off the ground. I routinely move more than that and lift higher with a L3901 and nothing on the rear.

Dan
I've lifted a few hundred pounds of rotting stumps to full height with just filled tires and she was stable so this gives me a bit more piece of mind. I have not been able to find any box blades online that I could get faster than 4-12weeks and Rural King is out of stock on their Cat1 ballast box (the Amazon ones are junk and Cat0 so they need modification to fit my tractor per the reviews).

I think I'll stick with my plan of building the piers up to a 360lb max weight, lift them 6-8" off of the ground, drop them in my trench and set the remaining columns on top.

I picked up some chemlink m1 adhesive sealant to seal the columns and base together to make the install water tight in lieu of 3000psi mortar or type M mortar. Would there be any added benefit to painting the pier with foundation coating (tar/waterproofing) prior to install? I have a month or so before I start this project so I have time to go overkill if necessary (as if 6 22" pier footings for a 6x28' porch isn't overkill enough 😂)

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I helped a neighbor get a 500 gal. empty propane tank off a trailer. I didn't want to bother getting the ballast for such a "simple" task. The tank had ears to attach to at each end and when I picked it up it was fine. Had him pull the truck/trailer up after lifting a few inches. When I lowered the tank to within inches of the ground I could feel the "teeter totter" effect. He ended up standing on the 3pt arms for added weight. That was with an L4240 with loaded tires. We only needed to move the tank 20 ft. but if asked again I would have counterweight as a precaution.
^^^^^

That is one solution, even if not ideal.

Proper Ballast is important. When lifting things that are mostly under 'static' conditions.......you are not at as much risk for a mishap as when something becomes 'dynamic' (an item shifts, drops, swings) suddenly. If this is isn't accounted for you can get 'tippy' real fast.

At our local RV sales company (small town) they move the travel trailers around with a marginally sized tractor.

On occasion.....one is simply too heavy for the tractor and front end lifts. So one of the employees there sits on the front of the tractor. I'm not showing faces because she is very sweet girl (with a weight problem)....but willing to go out there anytime and help.

Ballast.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

View attachment 81345
When I first saw the pic I thought holy shit look how big those hands are…either very impressive 😉or those are some tiny shackles…what’s the WLL on those?

• Haha

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
^^^^^

Proper Ballast is important. When lifting things that are mostly under 'static' conditions.......you are not at as much risk for a mishap as when something becomes 'dynamic' (an item shifts, drops, swings) suddenly. If this is isn't accounted for you can get 'tippy' real fast.

At our local RV sales company (small town) they move the travel trailers around with a marginally sized tractor.

On occasion.....one is simply too heavy for the tractor and front end lifts. So one of the employees there sits on the front of the tractor. I'm not showing faces because she is very sweet girl (with a weight problem)....but willing to go out there anytime and help.

View attachment 81370
I don’t know much, at best you can call me ‘odd’ if you are being polite, but I do know that you never make any reference to a lady’s weight…not ever and for no reason other than you don’t do that at work…How do you delicately ask a full cut gal to sit on the front of the tractor…how does that conversation even happen without ending up in HR? Much less take a picture…oh my.

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I don’t know much, at best you can call me ‘odd’ if you are being polite, but I do know that you never make any reference to a lady’s weight…not ever and for no reason other than you don’t do that at work…How do you delicately ask a full cut gal to sit on the front of the tractor…how does that conversation even happen without ending up in HR? Much less take a picture…oh my.
She is one of two Daughters of the owner of the store. Both girls are in Sales and have been in the family business for quite a few years. Either are willing to help anywhere needed and can wear any 'hat' necessary at the time to help run the business. Both are 'good as gold', small town Country Girls.

No one asked her to sit on the front of the tractor. She just saw what was going on (front tires lifting) and went out to help. That is her brother in law driving the tractor. I am good friends with the family and took the picture at her request. It was all in good fun NO HR required here, political correctness or adherence to what other women would consider inappropriate references.

Everyone understands there is a weight problem, she has had it since a child. You spend two minutes talking to her and her amazing personality will have you looking right past her physical appearance (IF its even an issue for you), it isn't for her.... or any that know her.

So now you know 'the rest of the story'. Sometimes good to know before making assumptions.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
^^^^^

View attachment 81370
That's one way to do it! Kudos to her for the ingenuity.

When I first saw the pic I thought holy shit look how big those hands are…either very impressive 😉or those are some tiny shackles…what’s the WLL on those?
😂 I can palm a basketball, but those shackles are tiny, way smaller than I'd expect them to be. They are a miniature version of the photo on McMaster Carr's site 😂. They are supposed to have a 1500lb WLL each which pairs nicely with the grade 70 chain and close to 3klb WLL of the eye bolts. Now if the allthread can handle 350 or so lbs, then I'm in business!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Must be awesome to work with real Americans and with real sense of humor and friendship. Seems like that is going by the wayside in a lot of places with PC…when people stop being able to joke kid and laugh then the days certainly seem longer.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Must be awesome to work with real Americans and with real sense of humor and friendship. Seems like that is going by the wayside in a lot of places with PC…when people stop being able to joke kid and laugh then the days certainly seem longer.
Well said Sir, and yes.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Unfortunately this mentality is gone in corporate America. Days seem longer and conversations with peers are without substance for fear of being offensive in some manner.

Working from home has been a blessing for the simple fact that I can have candid conversations with my wife but that will soon come to an end. The government's idea of reducing emissions is battery vehicle tech instead of mandating nonessential work off-site. It also doesn't fit JP Morgan's agenda of keeping companies shackled to commercial real estate leases.