lifting Mower deck for cleaning

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
While it's easy for me to lift one side of the mower deck.....I haven't figured out a way to clean it. Today I lifted it to peak under and almost hurt myself and possibly damage the deck when I shifted the weight to much and the rollers rolled towards me and the deck away on to it's back....I didn't drop it...but the weight rested on the PTO shaft for a moment. I don't see any bends...and I guess I'll figure that one out when I hook it up again whether it's bend or not (or the gear box...since that is what is attached to the PTO shaft).
Anyway....I have a FEL...but no hooks on it yet. I have straps... so I could use to strap the deck to the bottom side of the bucket i guess and lift :confused:. I really wish they would make that "load and go" SSQA

I don't know...I've been thinking of creating some sort of "cherry picker" type of thing to lift the deck...but then again...there doesn't seem to be a good "lift point" like you see on engines and stuff. Maybe weld a hook or loop point for a strap on it? I love the deck...but it seems like this is a PIA to try and lift and clean without some sort of "stand" to prop it on safely.

I've see those trolleys with the big tires...but that doesn't seem too sturdy without strapping it to something else before cleaning...

BX2380..60inch mowing deck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When I get 'volunteered' to clean other riders, I just lift the entire rider up by the grille guard using a chain hoist/trolley on the overhead I-beam in my garage. Once up at a 60* angle ,more or less, I can easily remove the blades for sharpening, then scrape the deck clean of wet,old grass.
I've done this for decades, never had a problem.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
When I get 'volunteered' to clean other riders, I just lift the entire rider up by the grille guard using a chain hoist/trolley on the overhead I-beam in my garage. Once up at a 60* angle ,more or less, I can easily remove the blades for sharpening, then scrape the deck clean of wet,old grass.
I've done this for decades, never had a problem.
I mean....I would love an over head I-beam and hoist/wench set up. I have the space...just not the $$$ right now.

Having said that I ended up just using a heavy duty 4 inch strap with hook and ratchet. I used my FEL to put the bucket over the Mower deck and lowered it pretty close to it. I then took out the long strap out of the ratchet and fed it between the two rear link pin holes. I then put the two end hooks on the top of the bucket...then took out the slack and tighten the strap. Then lifted the FEL until the mower deck was about a foot off the ground. Seemed to work. Only issue I could see would be if the strap got caught on the leveling bold threads and frayed the strap under tension.....so i just made sure the strap was on the frame in the pin hole.

Overall I still feel a bit uneasy seeing all that weight dangling around by a strap (which is close to sharp bolt threads)... while i power wash all the caked on grass. I guess I just have to get used to it unless I find better way to stabilize the deck.

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
I've got a boom pole and have tried using it to lift the deck. Works, but not worth the trouble. Then I bought a set of axles for the deck. Now I just lift it up to the standing position. Works great for cleaning and blade maintenance, plus I can roll the deck around. Money well spent in my view. In the winter I roll the deck up against the garage wall and it's completely out of the way.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Not sure if you have the room to do it, but my well is next to a storage shed. I measured how far between the spindles for the blades and built a little manifold out of copper tubing with pipe caps at the end that I drilled at a 45 degree angle. basically a sprinkler head with alot more volume.
Buried the whole thing underground and plumbed it into a valve mounted on the side of the shed.
When I'm done mowing, pull next to shed, turn water on and start blades. If it was wet when I mowed, let run longer [like 20 seconds instead of ten] It does knock the real good cutting edge off of the blades but I'm not that picky, they don't have to be razor sharp.
When I buried it , I bedded it in rock and at the lowest point I drilled the smallest hole that I had a drill bit for. It sprays when I have the water on but dissipates into the gravel. When the water is shut off, it self drains so there is no muddy area or puddle to draw the yellow jackets.
Some people I have told this too use sprinkler heads and PVC.
I wanted more volume and a little more durable. Been useing it for about 15 years now.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
When I need to do serious cleaning or recoating the underside of a deck I pick it with the FEL and lean it against a tree. Although these are RFM's it could work the same with e mid mower.

For general cleaning I park the tractor downhill near the top of a hill so the raised RFM is high enough to use a long handled scraper or the pressure washer on it. For swapping blades, it gets raised and blocked.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Just this weekend pulled the deck from the zero turn. Used pallet forks with the Kubota. So much easier to service the deck and sharpen blades. Now you have a reason to get some forks.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Not sure if you have the room to do it, but my well is next to a storage shed. I measured how far between the spindles for the blades and built a little manifold out of copper tubing with pipe caps at the end that I drilled at a 45 degree angle. basically a sprinkler head with alot more volume.
Buried the whole thing underground and plumbed it into a valve mounted on the side of the shed.
When I'm done mowing, pull next to shed, turn water on and start blades. If it was wet when I mowed, let run longer [like 20 seconds instead of ten] It does knock the real good cutting edge off of the blades but I'm not that picky, they don't have to be razor sharp.
When I buried it , I bedded it in rock and at the lowest point I drilled the smallest hole that I had a drill bit for. It sprays when I have the water on but dissipates into the gravel. When the water is shut off, it self drains so there is no muddy area or puddle to draw the yellow jackets.
Some people I have told this too use sprinkler heads and PVC.
I wanted more volume and a little more durable. Been useing it for about 15 years now.
wait whaaaaa? lol That sounds really cool ......got any pictures or video you can upload? I gotta see this!

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
This basically what I did. Where are the straps attached too on both ends? Thanks for the pictures!
I hooked to the frame bumpers on the top of the deck which are good, balanced lifting points. The straps wrap around the bucket, teeth down, to avoid any sharp edges. Otherwise use softeners under the straps at sharp contact points.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I use forks as well.

If you look at some of the JD mower decks, ive seen tractor time with tim, where he installed little angle pieces on the mower deck that hook into SSQA. Not fixed or super strong, but enough to grab and lift the deck for work.