Lift and curl

• Thread starter Deleted member 47704
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47704

Being able to lift and curl is handy for loader work especially snow. I was working with my new LX2610 and started trying different things with the loader stick.
You can move diagonal for combined loader functions except lift and curl.
What I found is if you start to curl bucket back, pull back at the same time and you get lift and curl.

Reactions: 1 user

MOTOROLANUT

Equipment
Grand L4240, LA854 FEL
Apr 25, 2021
West Virginia
Yup. It takes some practice to be proficient, but is an essential skill when working with materials.

Reactions: 1 users
D

Deleted member 47704

Yup. It takes some practice to be proficient, but is an essential skill when working with materials.
This doesn't take any practice, instead of moving diagonal, you go left and back.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This doesn't take any practice, instead of moving diagonal, you go left and back.
Old Bob, you are probably right. Lift and curl is so natural to me, that I will have to take a look next time to see how I do it.

I have read though, that some Kubota models, as well as other manufacturers models, make lift and curl simultaneous operation very difficult or impossible.

D

Deleted member 47704

Old Bob, you are probably right. Lift and curl is so natural to me, that I will have to take a look next time to see how I do it.

I have read though, that some Kubota models, as well as other manufacturers models, make lift and curl simultaneous operation very difficult or impossible.
The manual says not to do it because the of reduced lifting capacity. So be it.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I've always heard the smaller John Deeres can't effectively run two functions at once. Even had a John Deere salesman tell me that, but I've had guys who have them insist that isn't so.

Absolute deal-breaker for me, being able to do two functions at once is a must.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've always heard the smaller John Deeres can't effectively run two functions at once. Even had a John Deere salesman tell me that, but I've had guys who have them insist that isn't so.

Absolute deal-breaker for me, being able to do two functions at once is a must.
It takes practice. On some machines more practice than others. Hence the story that some machines can only do one at once. I think technically they can do two, it's just that the sweet spot on their controls is so tiny that you'd be pretty experienced before you got it right very often.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I lift and curl down simultaneously all the time if I'm keeping a forklift load level as I lift. And the reverse when lowering, curling up at the same time to keep the load level.
I love it. Nice and smooth load handling.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Being able to lift and curl is handy for loader work especially snow. I was working with my new LX2610 and started trying different things with the loader stick.
You can move diagonal for combined loader functions except lift and curl.
What I found is if you start to curl bucket back, pull back at the same time and you get lift and curl.
Lift and curl is obtained by shifting both spools at the same time. Use whatever stick action makes that happen.

Dan

D

Deleted member 47704

I posted this in response to someone saying you couldn't lift and curl with the compact and sub compact tractors.You can and it doesn't take any special skill.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I think what you’ll find is that the lift action will drastically slow down when you have the curl function fully open, or vice versa. If the curl function stalls (bypasses), then the lift won’t have any pressure to work with to prevent flipping the tractor forward or breaking the boom, and may actually drift down. It’s a lot easier to hurt the loader going up than going down. The lift cylinder has nearly double the force when lifting than it does lowering. When lowering, the cross section area of the rod (Nearly half the total cross section of the cylinder) subtracts from the total available force, and all you can do is push the front of the tractor up a little bit. If you’re raising a load, your center of gravity is chasing the position of the load, and quickly making the tractor unstable. The lifting has to be restricted to the mechanical strength of the boom, and curling while lifting can exceed that rating. Also consider how much more upward travel lifting has versus lowering, I think you’ll come to a very quick decision about how dangerous that can get in very short order if the combination of the curl and lift are not limited enough to avoid lifting the back of the tractor. Most of the restrictions we run into on the smaller tractor frames are safety measures dictated to keep us from killing ourselves. The valve is designed with those restrictions in mind. You’ll find that one motion or the other stops or significantly slows down when you engage the lower left quadrant of the stick travel. That’s by design and keeps ambulance chasers away from Kubota. If you are indeed curling up while raising the bucket, then something isn’t working the way it was designed. I didn’t say right, I said the way it was designed. “Right” is however you want your tractor and equipment to work. Mechanically, as designed, the lever cannot be pulled diagonally left and down to engage both lift and curl at the same time. OM for the FEL says so.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
In loading 10-14 foot long logs into a trailer, I can lift and curl at the same time to prevent a log from coming back at me over the top of the forks. Sides of the trailer are at almost lift height.

D

Deleted member 47704

I was trying to help those with issues.
I have a lot of hours on the loader moving snow.lift and curl is how its done.If I couldn't do that the trator was going back, I bought it to move snow. I just happen to have other uses for it.

"Mechanically, as designed, the lever cannot be pulled diagonally left and down to engage both lift and curl at the same time. OM for the FEL says so. "

FWIW its worth I didn't say diagonally, I said left and down.Inverted bckwards "L" shaped motion.

sorry I mentioned anything

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Heck Bob. Its a good subject esp for some of us who never had a tractor with a FEL before. I learn something from all the people on this site.

D

Deleted member 47704

Heck Bob. Its a good subject esp for some of us who never had a tractor with a FEL before. I learn something from all the people on this site.

Those are the guys I'm trying to help.

The manual (LA535) states that lift and rollback is not recommended for scooping because of insufficient lift force. (it does slow down because of flow)
In the instructions it says rollback and lifting will increase efficiency.:unsure:

So there is somewhat of a conflict and you have to try it in your material.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I have a lot of hours on the loader moving snow.lift and curl is how its done.If I couldn't do that the trator was going back, I bought it to move snow. I just happen to have other uses for it.

"Mechanically, as designed, the lever cannot be pulled diagonally left and down to engage both lift and curl at the same time. OM for the FEL says so. "

FWIW its worth I didn't say diagonally, I said left and down.Inverted bckwards "L" shaped motion.

sorry I mentioned anything
Actually, glad you did. Wasn’t criticizing, just reiterated all I’ve read and learned on my LX. It will indeed go down then left or left then down. I tried both methods today, just because I read this, but as stated, it will not go diagonally. Strange. But this will greatly reduce the lifting power and movement speed to protect you first, and the loader second. If full force were available to both motions, one could easily lift the tractor up on its front wheels/axle and make it very unstable and unsafe. Both motions were greatly reduced when I did what you described, and I was also doing this empty

D

Deleted member 47704

Actually, glad you did. Wasn’t criticizing, just reiterated all I’ve read and learned on my LX. It will indeed go down then left or left then down. I tried both methods today, just because I read this, but as stated, it will not go diagonally. Strange. But this will greatly reduce the lifting power and movement speed to protect you first, and the loader second. If full force were available to both motions, one could easily lift the tractor up on its front wheels/axle and make it very unstable and unsafe. Both motions were greatly reduced when I did what you described, and I was also doing this empty
I was ripping out old nursery stock and got a tree that I was just lifting , with the rear tires loaded with Rimgaurd (got the big tires) it stalls the loader and the tires stay firmly planted.

I'm used to the 520, that thing is beast, been running it for 20 years.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Those are the guys I'm trying to help.

The manual (LA535) states that lift and rollback is not recommended for scooping because of insufficient lift force. (it does slow down because of flow)
In the instructions it says rollback and lifting will increase efficiency.:unsure:

So there is somewhat of a conflict and you have to try it in your material.

i notice the degradation of lift capacity on my loader when filling the bucket with gravel when im truing to use both functions. Before i even got my machine i watched hours of how to videos. Neil at messicks has a really good video explaining that picture you depicted. (i cant link the video with the computer im using but its easy to find on youtube). Moving snow the loader easily curls and lifts at the same time.

D

Deleted member 47704

i notice the degradation of lift capacity on my loader when filling the bucket with gravel when im truing to use both functions. Before i even got my machine i watched hours of how to videos. Neil at messicks has a really good video explaining that picture you depicted. (i cant link the video with the computer im using but its easy to find on youtube). Moving snow the loader easily curls and lifts at the same time.

Neil (y)

His videos are very informative.