Lifepo4 (lithium) batteries in B6100

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
So I had been running two batteries in parallel on my b6100, a group U1 ‘riding mower battery’ in the tray, and a group 16 ‘powersports’ battery on the left hand loader subframe. Here’s a pic of how i mounted that 16 before we move on:

4ED77706-6735-422A-B47D-94F108C4BA02.jpeg

Anyway, the U1 died and needed to be replaced. I could have done the ~$34 thing and just bought another U1 riding mower battery from Walmart, but i wanted to turn it into an experiment instead. Ive been transitioning from lead acid to lifepo4 in both my RV and my house (my small house is 100% off grid with solar and batteries). While generally they are sold as ‘deep cycle’ and not appropriate for engine starting, they DO sell starter battery versions woth the caveat that theyre VERY pricey, like $300-800 pricey. Perhaps justifiable on a sports car for their very light weight, but not justifiable on a B6100!!

However.. car-sized batteries arent the ONLY starting batteries. There are 'powersports' / motorcycle lifepo4 starting batteries as well, and on Amazon those are getting down into the $40-60 range! They are 'rated' for 200-300 'cold cranking amps' in that price range, and are only 2-6ah of capacity! I assume they are simply some tiny but otherwise 'normal' lifepo4 cells hooked to a relatively monstrous BMS, and cycle life be damned (but still claim 2000-8000 because who will stop you!?). I have not opened one to verify. But I found a ~$40 2ah model rated for 200a and bought it.
1703803153898.png

I paid ~$40 with a coupon

The model i bought, i found disappointing for this application. My little tractor takes about 130-180a in current conditions (it was 70f) and the battery would only crank it intermittently. I do not have an inrush meter but i know that if one were to scope a starter motor's current waveform it has an enormous but very brief spike before quickly dropping to 'steady' cranking amps. Unfortunately in this case, the bms electronics are fast enough to catch that and disconnect before the current drops off to the level the BMS is rated for. Even when the bms makes it across that jump and cranks the engine, I only get 1-2 good seconds of cranking before the BMS trips again. Put one way, it is WAY LESS of a cranking battery than the $37 lithium 'jump pack' i bought a couple of months ago. So, disappointing. BUT!

But i never really intended to put a 2ah battery alone in my tractor (a U1 is perhaps ~20-35ah depending on which version of a U1). I wanted a bit more margin for error than that, such as if i run the thing out of diesel and have to crank the engine to purge the air from the injection lines before it will start again. So I had the thought of paralleling a larger ah battery to the tiny motorcycle battery so that it would 'contribute' to some extent during cranking, but mostly 'add capacity' to the starter battery by transferring charge to it pretty rapidly, giving me many good long cranking attempts, only perhaps requiring some decent pauses in between.

1703803344723.png

I paid ~$41
For this purpose i bought an 18ah battery for ~$41. I figured if this didn't work out it would go in one of the little electric cars for my 2 & 5 year old daughters, lol. It has a 20a continuous rated BMS, and supposedly allows 40a for up to 5 seconds. With this whole engine-cranking thing we are spending all our time not in the continuous rating, but in that 1s-5s duration rating that not many rock-bottom-money Amazon listings even mention. There is not even ROOM for a 200a bms in the 200a rated battery, so i believe the 'cranking amps' number these starter battery listings are using is really something at or under that 1-5 second rating we see specified on higher quality products. Anyway, I put a 100amp load tester to this 18ah battery and it consistently immediately tripped the bms. However, my theory for why the bms wouldnt trip during engine cranking was because my parallel connection to the other battery would be no larger than 12ga, which would 'throttle' the current sufficiently to stay in that 1-5 second rating region until the cranking was over. So, i hooked the 100a load tester through some 12ga wire and the 18ah battery did 75 amps for a solid 5+ seconds, and i lost my nerve and let off to see if my 12ga was getting too hot, before the bms actually tripped. It did far more than the 40a it claims to allow. So far so good!
1703803600432.jpeg

1703803631681.jpeg

1703803654910.jpeg

Once the two batteries were in parallel in the tractor with 12ga wiring in between, it DID work out basically as i thought, with the caveat that the 2ah bms still occasionally tripped. When it didn't, the batteries cranked the engine fast and plenty long enough, and i didn't have the patience to see how many 'good long cranks' i could get out of it but it was definitely enough. I measured both batteries together to crank the engine fast at 180a with 75a of that coming from the 18ah, and the 2ah alone (18ah disconnected) cranks the engine a bit sluggishly at 133a.

I considered my idea to be proven viable, with the exception that the 2ah 'starter' battery (really just its internal bms) is slightly undersized for this task. So, i returned it and replaced it with a slightly larger one for a few bucks more (i started with a group 4, replaced it with a group 7). Heres the one i bought, but ive since found cheaper at $47.
1703803789872.png

I paid $56
But id buy this bigger one for $48 if i had to do it again today.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
So i have developed a fondness for this little 100a load tester which can be had for $16 with a coupon.
At first id been skeptical of its usefulness but ive used a variety of larger adjustable carbon pile load testers on a bajillion FLA car batteries (and i do own a large adjustable one, its just not very portable) in my work as a mechanic and hobbyist, and ive never had the little one disagree with the big ones!

So this $56 battery handled the 100a load tester for ~5 seconds just fine ( i let off, the bms did not trip) and voltage dropped to the ‘200cca’ region on the gauge, which i can say from experience is the same region a $35 U1 fla ‘riding mower’ battery tests at. I have cranked this very tractor with those and it cranked very similarly, which is to say ‘a little slow’. So, this $56 battery acted equivalently to a $35 U1 but hopefully with many times the lifespan.

I tested the pair of lifepo4 at 192 amps. Not EXACT same conditions as prior $40 battery attempt, but close and a slightly better result. Of that, 43 amps came from the 18ah battery, a significantly smaller proportion then before. When i disconnected the 18ah, the $56 battery alone cranked the engine at 168 amps. It could start the tractor on its own but it cranked much more comfortably with the 18ah paralleled in, which is the final setup. Here are the two tiny little things in my battery tray together. Some further tidying of wiring is to be done but this is what they look like!
1703804885807.jpeg

I built this setup as much as an experiment as anything, so even though i COULD have bought a much larger starting battery for the $100 i spent, i still wouldnt have. However, given that i have learned that both the group 4 and group 7 sizes struggle with the 600cc diesel (the 4 a lot, the 7 only a little..), if one wanted to follow in my footsteps and swith to lifepo4, its a GOOD bet that this $66 group 14 battery would work quite well, plus it has 21 THOUSAND reviews on amazon and is highly rated!

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Neat!
If you decide to run a lithium on the tractor, whats the plan to charge it? Will the alternator will be 'good enough'?
I put a big lithium on my camper...... its a 150ah, with a capacitor pack built in, it has a claimed cca of 1400! I have a dc-dc charger to charge off the truck/car.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
All I can say, is do not understand any circumstances charge that thing near your home. Chicom lithium Batts are poor quality and often outright dangerous.
High quality units are pretty reliable and durable. Been one I'm my race bikes for 5 years.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Not all Tesla batteries are 'reliable and durable'.........

FWIW , check your insurance policies ! some now have 'lithium battery exclusion' clauses.....

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
So as far as charging, the tractor itself charges at 1-5amps depending on rpm. ive got a total of about 20ah of battery there, so if the batteries were truly dead and i had to jump start the tractor, id have to leave it at max rpm for 4 hrs to fully recharge the batteries! But of course most of the time they wont be dead and the tractor only has to ‘replace’ what it took to fire it up, which it should do within 10 minutes or so.

IF the tractor had a ‘real’ alternator youd have to be more careful about matching the battery to the charging system because lifepo4 ideally shouldnt be charged at more than 1c rate. C rate is just amp hours or Ah. If i have ~20ah of batteries ideally i should not charge at more than 20amps. Not a problem on this tractor but would be on some with ‘real’ alternators and would force the selection of larger batteries for best longevity.

The batteries also dont need to be FULLY charged to crank the tractor anyway. One cool thing about lifepo4 is that it doesnt suffer ‘voltage sag’ due to the ‘peukert effect’ to anywhere near the degree a lead acid does, so for example the lithium at 20% charged would crank just as hard as if it were 80% charged. One big drawback is you cant charge them below freezing at all, which would be a problem for some people but i dont use my tractors when its below freezing at all because that’s usually a very short time here in South Texas and i just wait it out.

Last edited:

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
love the experiment and the write up! Thanks!

I put one of those little powersport lithium batteries in my shifter kart 6-7 years ago, because it was the only thing available for sale at the track when the previous one died. I was sure skeptical when I took it out of the box and it weighed only a few ounces, but it worked flawlessly. Granted, the starter on 125cc 2-stroke is a bit smaller than that on your diesel tractor...

Also a side note: many years ago I did an experiment measuring startup current spike on AC universal motors. Those tests averaged 7X spike current compared to run current on the one motor we were shipping.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I've used many Lithium batteries in street bikes over the years....

At first I thought they were great albeit expensive. (Shorai brand)
But over the years I have had a few fail and one actually bulge to the point where it looked like it might explode.
I have come full circle on lithium batteries.

I now use cheap (in price) Gel batteries.

As a long term user this is my $0.02

They don't like the cold.

Some of the cheap Chinese (Amazon) import batteries are down right unsafe to use.

If you happen to completely drain the battery and jump start it, there is a high chance that you will destroy it.

As far as charging, It's best to use a Li-Ion charger that will balance the cells.

I just don't think it's worth the hype. ESPECIALLY the cheap amazon "deals"

I only have 1 bike with a Li-Ion still in it.
but thats only due to room/space restrictions... and it had NO parasitic draw.

I would never use one in a tractor or a car/truck.

call me old school, but I'll keep my lead Acid bat-trees......

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
ah evil...
YOU said...
"High quality units are pretty reliable and durable "
I'd have though Tesla made "high quality units' if PRICE is a reflection on quality...... :giggle:

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Thanks for the feedback. Ive only been using lifepo4 batteries for a year and change so i cant say much about longevity.

I will say there is a difference between li-ion and lifepo4. The use of lifepo4 in starting batteries is fairly recent and anything more than 2 or 3 years back would likely have been some other form of lithium ion (which is sort of an umbrella term), more like what is used in lithium ion jump packs, or power tool batteries. Lifepo4 is considered the longest lasting and safest lithium chemistry in common use and has almost no chance of thermal runaway, athough you could still make a hell of a lot of heat electrically with them. They all have battery management systems built in that cut out in case of a short circuit but of course in case of an accident its still possible something could puncture the case and short directly across some cell terminals.

Personally im not concerned about any danger, especially since the tractor has a puny charging system (i did see it get up to almost 7amps at redline the other day!) so any danger would have to be physical accident related or just a manufacturing defect rearing its head. I can only speak for myself.