Leveling tool

RichAllyn

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 25, 2020
Athens, PA
I am soon going to install a home made leveling guide. Still looking at different designs and trying to decide which one to go with. Originally this was for my FEL. Will this also work to help out using forks?
Thanks

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I am soon going to install a home made leveling guide. Still looking at different designs and trying to decide which one to go with. Originally this was for my FEL. Will this also work to help out using forks?
Thanks
“Leveling guide” refers to a bucket level indicator, the sliding rod type works for bucket and forks. The rod attaches to a SSQA pin, not the bucket, so it stays on at all times. (Just for clarity it’s the plain silver bent rod above the hydraulic hoses on the inner right boom in the photos.)

Forks will probably be a different point on the rod (mine are) but it’s not difficult to mark two places on the rod or just know how far to offset it for forks.

Of course that style (mine is OEM) only tells you bucket / fork position at ground. Have seen a variety of homegrown designs, some sophisticated enough to show level throughout lift range. If it’s some other design I have no clue about bucket to fork usefulness.
FD3719D2-D4EB-4591-9EB1-0833A67A56AB.jpeg
00FE6ED2-F8F7-4B03-A41B-0C85E45DF4E6.jpeg

RichAllyn

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 25, 2020
Athens, PA
“Leveling guide” refers to a bucket level indicator, the sliding rod type works for bucket and forks. The rod attaches to a SSQA pin, not the bucket, so it stays on at all times. (Just for clarity it’s the plain silver bent rod above the hydraulic hoses on the inner right boom in the photos.)

Forks will probably be a different point on the rod (mine are) but it’s not difficult to mark two places on the rod or just know how far to offset it for forks.

Of course that style (mine is OEM) only tells you bucket / fork position at ground. Have seen a variety of homegrown designs, some sophisticated enough to show level throughout lift range. If it’s some other design I have no clue about bucket to fork usefulness.
View attachment 57244 View attachment 57245
Thank you for your comments. I wanted hear from someone who had experience with the forks to give me confidence to set it up for them also. I also like what you mentioned about a design to show level at any height. Thanks again

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
For a more sophisticated “level at any height” you might find this helpful.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The levelling guide for forks is ok at ground level but more of a useless reference at different heights. I never really use it with my forks, only with the bucket i.e. after dumping a bucket I use it while lowering the boom and curling the bucket to the ready to dig position.

If I'm picking pallets off a trailer I look at the forks only. When putting stuff on pallet racks I look at the load position.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Someone on TBN built one with electronic sensors and a display that worked in any position such as stabbing pallets off a flatbed truck, etc..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you'll soon find out using forks is a real 'fun' experience ! Controls are waaaaay too sensitive though reducing RPM does help some. it'd be nice to have a snail/rabbit mode on them. 2 years of forking everything imaginable and I still can't get the hang of it. TOTALLY different than using my 7000# forklift.

There is a 'level' indicator on the front right of the SSQA frame, if you haven't powerwashed the label off, the steel will be there.

RichAllyn

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 25, 2020
Athens, PA
you'll soon find out using forks is a real 'fun' experience ! Controls are waaaaay too sensitive though reducing RPM does help some. it'd be nice to have a snail/rabbit mode on them. 2 years of forking everything imaginable and I still can't get the hang of it. TOTALLY different than using my 7000# forklift.

There is a 'level' indicator on the front right of the SSQA frame, if you haven't powerwashed the label off, the steel will be there.
The forks are new and like you said the controls can jump real easy. I worked at DuPont for years and did a lot of forktruck work. I agree there is big difference. If there is no load on forks or a loader is it ok to curl at low RPMs?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: If there is no load on forks or a loader is it ok to curl at low RPMs?

yes, I do that everytime I swap bucket for tines for bucket for tines for.......daily, it seems....
you need to curl back to 'seat' the attachment up against the SSQA frame, THEN lock it on.
I'm still not used to the 'loader forks' as I go between Kuboats and A-C forklift, often,
yesterday removed 3 10' posts, used BX23S to dig around the posts, then forklift to pull them up and out.
fun in the sun time !

Two things you'll probably want to do....
1) upgrade the primary fuel filter...while there are online kits, the Kubota filter is about $110 at dealer....
2) add a rocks and chickens filter screen to the fuel tank inlet ($1.50 at $rama)