Lesson learned the hard way

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
For all owners of L3901 or similar tractors with a BH mount, a note of CAUTION. When hooking up a brush hog or other 3-Point hitch implements watch the routing of your return hydraulic hose. I notice the first time I attached a 3-p implement the potential for hydraulic hose damage due to the close proximity of the hose routing due to its length and the BH frame with the 3P linkages attached. I thought I had protected the hose buy tie wrapping it to the BH frame to keep it from any chafing damage. Well I hit a rock with the Brush hog, broke a blade bolt and the violent out of balance condition with the 3P pinched the linkage against the hose before I could even shut down the PTO. I surveyed the damage and noticed the ragged hose protective covering but not seeing any oil, (the tractor was shut down), thought I had dodged a bullet, I drove the tractor out of the field not noticing any leakage, upon entering my drive way I notice the hydraulic streak. The cost, 5 gallons of UDT2 of which I used 2 gallons and one hose $215.00, plus 2.5 hrs. and 30 miles travel to nearest dealer. Yes the hose was a bit expensive 80 bucks, but the tractor is useless without it. The hose is now 12 inches; longer so I can route it differently.
I am looking into making a permanent plumbed hydraulic valve crossover with a locking mechanism to eliminate the need for reattaching the return hose. I will need to lengthen the hose on the BH to reach the connection but will eliminate this potential issue in the future.

Last edited: