Length of Rear Blade? (mostly for snow)

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Hi gang, been enjoying my L4600 this summer and haven't logged in much. I hope everyone is well and no one has been in trouble with floods, tornadoes, fires or any of that crazy stuff.

I searched the forum for 'blade' and didn't see much discussion of rear blades. I am looking for a rear blade mostly for snow clearing on my 1/4 mi x 10 ft wide driveway. The tractor is about 6 ft. wide at the rear wheels. I'm sure it could pull one larger than 6' wide especially just for snow clearing, but I have some tight spaces, a fairly narrow drive (one lane in places - where it goes over some draws) and I thought maybe a 6 ft. would be OK. I might do a SMALL amount of grading with it - I don't have a box blade (got a driveway grader for the gravel).

I know there are heavier ones and cheaper ones and I don't mind buying heavier if I need to, especially used. I did find a Woods RB6, 6-footer that looks lightly used with reversible cutting edge that has not been flipped, for $235. Steel looks to be 1/4", not real heavy. Price seemed good. I would have to drive a bit to pick it up. Can you add the end shoes for snow after the fact? Are they universal or brand specific? This one doesn't have them but it has bolt holes on either end of the blade.

Any suggestions on what to buy and how to use would be greatly appreciated.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
With the blade at a 30 degree angle you still want it to be wider than your rear tread. A 7' blade covers 6' at a 30 degree angle.
A light weight blade will work for snow plowing, but you need a heavy blade for any grading. A light blade used for grading will just bounce across the ground.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Well there's a very good point, I should have considered the angle but I didn't. Mostly because I had no clue what angle to run it at for snow. Thanks.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
If you multiply the blade width by 0.7, that will be very close to the width at 45 degrees.

Bruce

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I'd go for a seven or eight foot blade. A heavier blade will scrape a bit better in my experience, but more importantly I would like to recommend the addition of tire chains. Nothing better in snow as far as I'm concerned.

Jerry

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wondered about chains. This is a 4WD tractor with R4 tires. Just got it this spring so no experience in snow.
With R4's I would seriously consider chains!
They are the lowest on the traction scale in snow.
Depending on clearance you might need wheel spacers to make the chains clear.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I don't think you should chain up the front, but chains on the rear really make a huge difference. I've had two tractors with chains, and I'll not live north of Florida without them! I keep a few sets for the truck and cars too, just in case. I hate winter, so any chance I get to poke it in the eye...

Happy Labor Day,

Jerry