Leaking from fuel tank

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Well it has finally happened; I moved the tractor from where i had parked it and noticed a spreading stain of fuel on the ground:eek:
I had been moving slash to access a tree I had just felled. I try to be careful when doing this but I can't see everything.
I drove quickly back to my shop before running out of fuel, parked it on a slope to try and slow the drip and put some buckets beneath the tank.
I can't see any obvious damage but it is wet on the whole bottom of the tank.
I did find a small, 5/16"+- ID, hose that appears disconnected with a little diesel dripping from it but it is not the source as it seems to come from above the tank.
Maybe it is leaking from what it was connected to but I can't see an obvious connecvtion point.
Has anyone dropped a fuel tank from an M6040?
Like I said, there is no visible external damage so I need to see the whole tank which means dropping the fuel tank.
There was less than a 1/4 tank so somewhere around 5 gallons.
Advice?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
went to Kubota parts finder, saw this, I suspect that hose is a return line from 'somewhere'. Have no idea what's involved in reconnecting it though.It'll either be easy or a PITA....

Attachments

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
went to Kubota parts finder, saw this, I suspect that hose is a return line from 'somewhere'. Have no idea what's involved in reconnecting it though.It'll either be easy or a PITA....
I also saw that diagram. I suspect it will be a PITA ;when I looked for where it connects, I could find nothing obvious. I will give it a more thorough look today.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
it 'might' be as 'easy' as removing the seat and fender tin...,though in my case I broke the 1-2-3 PTO knob off as the WSM did NOT explain HOW to properly remove it. $6.88 for a new one btw....

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Success! The small disconnected line was from a fitting on the bottom of the tank.
This fitting is covered by the skid plate so it is not obvious where the hose goes.
Of course, I discovered this after dropping the tank; it might have been accessible without dropping the tank but now at least I know how to do that.
I also discovered the tank drain.:)
Back to tractoring

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Congrats on what sounded like a relatively simple fix although you did the normal "too much" before you found the source of the leak.