Leak from split pin in bottom of transmission

MarkGTH

Equipment
Kubota L3940
Mar 1, 2021
Oklahoma
I wanted to share a recent experience I had hopefully to save others from splitting a tractor to replace a seal....I recently traded my 2010 L3400 with 340 hrs for a 2007 L3940 HSTC with 510 hours both with FELs. The L3940 was in great shape and extremely clean with no apparent leaks. The dealer who I had also bought my L3400 from delivered it and I parked it in my shop. The next morning I went out and found a 2' puddle of oil underneath the center of the tractor. My heart sank. I cleaned it up and drove it down to my pond and back and parked it. It immediately was dripping out the split pin hole and this time there was a 3' puddle around it. I emailed the dealer and let him know what was happening. He said he would arrange to pick it up and look at it. I went in the house and starting reading the forums on OTT and saw the common answer of splitting the tractor to replace a bad seal. After praying about it, I put my mind in motion and thought through the situation. A couple of related posts mentioned "vents". I checked the rubber horseshoe vent hose on my fill plug and it was completely blocked. I cleaned the mud out of it and could now blow through it. I cleaned up my mess again and drove back to the pond...retracing my actions....lifting the loader and putting it down a couple of times. I parked it back in the barn and to my VERY HAPPY SURPRISE, NO LEAK! I assume it was allowing enough pressure to build in the crankcase when it was blocked and with the loader cylinders releasing a large amount of fluid rapidly, it had to go somewhere so it found the path of least resistance....Praise God! I traced my front axle vent hose up the side of the block and found the metal tube it ends at and found it blocked also. Will watch to see if my 2 drips from the left front axle go away....

Just wanted to share in the hopes it saves someone from splitting their tractor over a simple blocked vent hose!!

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My old 9N had a split-pin in a drain hole also. It was purposed to keep the drain-hole clear of debris, but a lot of “new owners” and others questioned why it looked like a cotter-pin had fallen out of some interior part and was trying to “escape”. LOL

Reactions: 1 user

MarkGTH

Equipment
Kubota L3940
Mar 1, 2021
Oklahoma
My old 9N had a split-pin in a drain hole also. It was purposed to keep the drain-hole clear of debris, but a lot of “new owners” and others questioned why it looked like a cotter-pin had fallen out of some interior part and was trying to “escape”. LOL
I have an old 8n with the same plug....hence I knew what to call it! Thanks for the laugh!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I wanted to share a recent experience I had hopefully to save others from splitting a tractor to replace a seal....I recently traded my 2010 L3400 with 340 hrs for a 2007 L3940 HSTC with 510 hours both with FELs. The L3940 was in great shape and extremely clean with no apparent leaks. The dealer who I had also bought my L3400 from delivered it and I parked it in my shop. The next morning I went out and found a 2' puddle of oil underneath the center of the tractor. My heart sank. I cleaned it up and drove it down to my pond and back and parked it. It immediately was dripping out the split pin hole and this time there was a 3' puddle around it. I emailed the dealer and let him know what was happening. He said he would arrange to pick it up and look at it. I went in the house and starting reading the forums on OTT and saw the common answer of splitting the tractor to replace a bad seal. After praying about it, I put my mind in motion and thought through the situation. A couple of related posts mentioned "vents". I checked the rubber horseshoe vent hose on my fill plug and it was completely blocked. I cleaned the mud out of it and could now blow through it. I cleaned up my mess again and drove back to the pond...retracing my actions....lifting the loader and putting it down a couple of times. I parked it back in the barn and to my VERY HAPPY SURPRISE, NO LEAK! I assume it was allowing enough pressure to build in the crankcase when it was blocked and with the loader cylinders releasing a large amount of fluid rapidly, it had to go somewhere so it found the path of least resistance....Praise God! I traced my front axle vent hose up the side of the block and found the metal tube it ends at and found it blocked also. Will watch to see if my 2 drips from the left front axle go away....

Just wanted to share in the hopes it saves someone from splitting their tractor over a simple blocked vent hose!!
God cares about every little detail of our lives....how awesome is that?

Glad to hear the positive outcome of your situation.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I know you are relieved. That's good information. Now, if I can find an older Grand L with an oil leak on the cheap, I'll know what to do.
:devilish::ROFLMAO: