Lawn Vac for BX

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
possible option ?
Any chance you can just mow more often, with 'mulching' style blades ?
This is my preference. I'd rather mow twice without a vacuum than one with. Messing around emptying etc is a pain. Two short mows that I enjoy instead of one slow mow that I don't enjoy.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Also considered a bagger but from what I have read, Kubota bagger system sucks. Anyone know of a 3rd party bagger?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee... if 'Kubota bagger system sucks' , you really don't need a vacuum styled unit !! :rolleyes:
Hay, got a LOT of rain last night, can't get compost into garden, let alone plant.

I do know it's best to cut grass when it is DRY, say late afternoon,before dinner. Wet grass clumps up, deck tosses turds here, there everywhere, looks terrible and won't compost fast.

Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
gee... if 'Kubota bagger system sucks' , you really don't need a vacuum styled unit !! :rolleyes:
Hay, got a LOT of rain last night, can't get compost into garden, let alone plant.

I do know it's best to cut grass when it is DRY, say late afternoon,before dinner. Wet grass clumps up, deck tosses turds here, there everywhere, looks terrible and won't compost fast.
A friend of mine had the Kubota bagger on his BX and it really sucked. Was perfect for his little yard that was about 1/2 acre. Dumping was the hardest part. I use my cyclone rake to collect 20 to 30 cubic yards of grass clippings to mulch my garden every spring and that's the only time I let the lawn grow a little taller. All other times I keep it cut short. 6 acres mowed gives me a little over 10 cubic yards usually and 3 mowings mulch everything 6 to 8 inches deep. The only reason I have the vacuum for.

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S 3rdFunction TerraKingBagger 4ftBoxBlade 5ftPlowBlade 3ptQuickHitch
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
Anyone who has a BX series tractor can recommend a good lawn vacuum? Never owned one before so am new with this implement. Not sure if toe behind or 3 point is better. Looked at a few on google search. Tow behind looks alright but don't know if that hose would attach to my mower deck. Appreciate any help or suggestions. This would be for my BX1880. Thanks.
Using my TerraKing going on 3 years.

Make sure to put suitcase weights on the front to offset 20 bushel weight on the back!
Awesome device.
Cost $2800 then.
Never a problem.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
That is one heavy vacuum. About maxes out my 3 point. Any time I read contact for pricing, I can't afford it. Will do anyways just to see. Did you have to buy a specific kubota part to fit to the mower? Thanks.

stdenpi1

Equipment
BX23s
May 12, 2024
Warwick NY
I bought a Protero for my ZD127 zero turn years ago and love the fact that I can dump from the seat. I know they sell a PTO option for the BX, not sure of the price though...

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I bought a Protero for my ZD127 zero turn years ago and love the fact that I can dump from the seat. I know they sell a PTO option for the BX, not sure of the price though...

Thanks. Will check it out.

Just sent them a message for pricing. That looks good from the video I just watched. How well does yours pick up?

stdenpi1

Equipment
BX23s
May 12, 2024
Warwick NY
Thanks. Will check it out.

Just sent them a message for pricing. That looks good from the video I just watched. How well does yours pick up?
Very good pickup. It's not PTO driven since I use it on my Zero turn, so they sent me another spindle which doubles over the first spindle and that's how the blower gets the power.

It may clog sometimes if very wet and very thick...but it rarely does.

It wasn't cheap (I think around $2700 years ago) but Other than some belts, I haven't had to replace anything.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
3-4 decades ago on a cdn farm show program... guy bolted a bar onto front of his mower deck, tied a tarp, maybe 8 by 10 (?) to it, mows lawn, clippings fall onto tarp, when full, drives to 'compost area', backs up, clippings all fall off, goes back for another 'cut/haul/drop' again and again.
it was simple, cheap and effective !!

• Haha

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
3-4 decades ago on a cdn farm show program... guy bolted a bar onto front of his mower deck, tied a tarp, maybe 8 by 10 (?) to it, mows lawn, clippings fall onto tarp, when full, drives to 'compost area', backs up, clippings all fall off, goes back for another 'cut/haul/drop' again and again.
Was that the Red Green show :unsure::ROFLMAO:.

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
It was some 'farm show' shot near London Ontario ,in black and white, so when I saw it, obviously 'repeat' shows from late 50's/early 60's I assume. Heck I was living in my 3 bedroom apartment then,amazed me the ingenuity the farmers had back then. HAD to....no computers, no internet.........

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Very good pickup. It's not PTO driven since I use it on my Zero turn, so they sent me another spindle which doubles over the first spindle and that's how the blower gets the power.

It may clog sometimes if very wet and very thick...but it rarely does.

It wasn't cheap (I think around $2700 years ago) but Other than some belts, I haven't had to replace anything.
Just got a reply from them. $5000 plus shipping. Ouch. Looks good but to much for my blood.

• Wow

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
How did that work? Rear discharge mower, and most of it goes on the tarp dragging behind? And you don't worry that some goes under the tarp, some falls off the back of the tarp etc?

I'm still in favour of just mulching, and mowing more often. Our grass is pretty thick, so in spring and autumn I have to mow twice a week. But I like driving my tractor, and it's only 40 minutes. With a bagger or a rake I'd take twice as long (messing around and emptying), easier to mow twice and enjoy it. 1.5 hours of messing around, or 1.5 hours of mowing easy.

Mulching is good for the lawn too.

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S 3rdFunction TerraKingBagger 4ftBoxBlade 5ftPlowBlade 3ptQuickHitch
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
How did that work? Rear discharge mower, and most of it goes on the tarp dragging behind? And you don't worry that some goes under the tarp, some falls off the back of the tarp etc?

I'm still in favour of just mulching, and mowing more often. Our grass is pretty thick, so in spring and autumn I have to mow twice a week. But I like driving my tractor, and it's only 40 minutes. With a bagger or a rake I'd take twice as long (messing around and emptying), easier to mow twice and enjoy it. 1.5 hours of messing around, or 1.5 hours of mowing easy.

Mulching is good for the lawn too.
I wish for a 40 minute mow. Sigh.
Hilly and 2 acres means about 2+ hours if I hurry.

The Terra King dumps from the seat. So cool.
Just back up to the compost pile and dump. Very little extra time. I dump 2 or 3 times for the 2 acres.
When the leaves fall I dump 5 or 6 times :)
Beats raking!

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Found a used ag fab for half the price of new. Waiting on his reply on size of hose but new ones have a 6 inch hose. If I go check it out, probably offer $700 as his ad states $800 OBO. Worth a shot I guess. That lawn and leaf looks awesome but not for 5 grand.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
the farm tarp setup was for a side discharge machine......

neigbours hacks his 2 acres in 23 minutes with a $$$ zero turn. windrows of clumps as he doesn't cut often enough.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
the farm tarp setup was for a side discharge machine......

neigbours hacks his 2 acres in 23 minutes with a $$$ zero turn. windrows of clumps as he doesn't cut often enough.
My top 5 acres went from 2 hours and 15 minutes with the BX to 1 hour and 10 minutes with the Z726. Lots of trees and obstacles the zero turn scoots around without slowing much. Can do it in under an hour but that is quite scary. Better cut also. The big plus is my body is less beat up with the zero turn. The big minus is early spring when it's soft and muddy the zero turn is worthless.

Reactions: 1 users