lawn sprayer

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Here is my old lawn sprayer unit adapted to fit the three point on the BX. In case you are wondering why it is mounted lengthwise instead of crossways, it's because in it's past life it was on an application where it had to be mounted that way, and I wanted to reuse as much as possible. The sprayer is powered off the power outlet I put on the back of the tractor, and I have an indicator light that I can put on the dash so I know the sprayer power is on. As you can see, the sprayer also has a hand wand plumbed in, and the spray arms fold in or out on contact with any object or for storage.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Load that puppy up with deicer and your good to go!

And for those thinking I can use deicer it will ruin my lawn, there is a deicer that is also a fertilizer! :eek::p:D

It is pet safe too, It won't hurt their pads (salt burns) or insides if they lick it, It's all we use because of all our animals!

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Not to criticise your work, but for spraying a lawn, those 2 nozzles look like they are a little far apart, from my view. There is a chart available on the internut that shows max nozzle width for nozzles mounted at a given height, you might want to consult that...:D

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Load that puppy up with deicer and your good to go!

And for those thinking I can use deicer it will ruin my lawn, there is a deicer that is also a fertilizer! :eek::p:D

It is pet safe too, It won't hurt their pads (salt burns) or insides if they lick it, It's all we use because of all our animals!
Wolfman, what do you use for de-icer? Salt does a number on my concrete and my pooch doesn't like it either. I use that safe paws stuff but it's expensive and doesn't work well unless ya use a lot.

I like the sprayer :D

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Not to criticise your work, but for spraying a lawn, those 2 nozzles look like they are a little far apart, from my view. There is a chart available on the internut that shows max nozzle width for nozzles mounted at a given height, you might want to consult that...:D
All the tank plumbing and the nozzles was done by a co-worker that owns a farm sprayer business, and he signed off on the height and distance of the nozzles. Beyond that, I don't really know. I do know that when I rinse out the unit on the concrete driveway, the spray patterns just meet. The next issue will be my ground speed. My friend helped me calculate it for my old garden tractor (2nd gear, 75% throttle), but now I have to start over. I wonder if my GPS would be accurate enough at that low of speed?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
All the tank plumbing and the nozzles was done by a co-worker that owns a farm sprayer business, and he signed off on the height and distance of the nozzles. Beyond that, I don't really know. I do know that when I rinse out the unit on the concrete driveway, the spray patterns just meet. The next issue will be my ground speed. My friend helped me calculate it for my old garden tractor (2nd gear, 75% throttle), but now I have to start over. I wonder if my GPS would be accurate enough at that low of speed?
If you google how to calibrate a sprayer, you can go through the steps. Basically what you do is fill the tank up, and spray a known distance,at a known speed, like 100 feet. then you measure how much water you sprayed over that distance, say 10 gallons. then you measure how wide the spray pattern is, say 10 feet. You then set up a ratio and solve for X.

10gal/(10 foot wide x 100feet long)(1000square feet)=Xgallons/43560sq ft (1 acre)

In this case you would be spraying out at a rate of 435.6 gallons per acre.

Hey I just set it up to make the math easy, for most lawn spraying you want to shoot for a gallon or 2 of spray per 1000 square feet.:D

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
His tips look like they are flood jets (they discharge straight back more or less even though the body is oriented down). They generally have very wide patterns, large droplet sizes, and high volumes compared to flat fans or hollow cones.
Tee Jet Corporation has some good calibration guides and you can usually get them from your University Extension if needed. Constant speed and pressure are the key ingredients.

Getting ready to build a new boom for my yard sprayer. Getting lazy and want to get done earlier so I'm going to go wider and add at least 1 tip to each end.

Oh yeah... an inexpensive bicycle speedometer that can be calibrated to your wheel size takes care of the speed issue, especially on a hydrostatic tractor where speed control isn't constant to throttle setting.

Last edited: