LaneShark overheating hydraulic system?

Steve Paine

Equipment
MX5200DT, L3800DT
May 6, 2022
Louisiana
I installed a LaneShark valve kit on my MX5200DT and used the LaneShark LS2 to cut trails etc. The LaneShark worked great but I noticed the hydraulic system on the tractor gets HOT. The tractor doesn't have rear hydraulics.
With the LaneShark removed the hydraulic system still gets HOT. This has, I believe, led to the failure of both hydraulic steering hoses on the tractor. Has anyone had a similar experience or suggested solution? I'm thinking of connecting the supply and return hoses to the cutter motor together and opening the valve to ensure a continuous flow as I suspect the control valve supplied with the kit doesn't allow enough flow through it when closed. The problem with that solution is that so much fluid will flow through the supply/return hoses, other hydraulic functions will be very slow if they work at all

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I installed a LaneShark valve kit on my MX5200DT and used the LaneShark LS2 to cut trails etc. The LaneShark worked great but I noticed the hydraulic system on the tractor gets HOT. The tractor doesn't have rear hydraulics.
With the LaneShark removed the hydraulic system still gets HOT. This has, I believe, led to the failure of both hydraulic steering hoses on the tractor. Has anyone had a similar experience or suggested solution? I'm thinking of connecting the supply and return hoses to the cutter motor together and opening the valve to ensure a continuous flow as I suspect the control valve supplied with the kit doesn't allow enough flow through it when closed. The problem with that solution is that so much fluid will flow through the supply/return hoses, other hydraulic functions will be very slow if they work at all
Maximum flow on that tractor is 9.5 GPM. The LS2 requires 8.5 to 15 GPM flow rate. Hard to imagine the valve for a motor that size is causing overheating. In any event oil coolers are inexpensive and effective

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I had to go look at some Lane Shark videos to understand what that switch/valve does. Quite frankly their explanations suck.

If I understand correctly it is installed in the power beyond out from the loader valve. When you press the buttons (why two???) it diverts the power beyond flow to the motor and the return from the motor goes to the tank port on the tractors hydraulic block. When you turn the Lane Shark off the power beyond flow goes through the valve to the implement return port on the tractors hydraulic block.

If that is correct your three point lift and rear remotes will not work when the Lane Shark is running so forget about looping the motor hoses together.

Dan

Last edited:

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301. KX033-4
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
I have a mx5400 and a lane shark. I have not experienced any issues with overheating. Dealer installed the plumbing.
My understanding was the lane shark return line dumps directly to the hydro tank/sump.
Lane shark functions well for me with the 5400

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a mx5400 and a lane shark. I have not experienced any issues with overheating. Dealer installed the plumbing.
My understanding was the lane shark return line dumps directly to the hydro tank/sump.
Lane shark functions well for me with the 5400
The pressure side of the Lane Shark motor is fed by the power beyond side of the loader valve and the motor return goes straight to sump. You are definitely pushing the heat envelope running a 9 GPM hydraulic motor on a HST tractor with hydrostatic power steering and a scant 12 gallons of reservoir.

Dan

Steve Paine

Equipment
MX5200DT, L3800DT
May 6, 2022
Louisiana
I had to go look at some Lane Shark videos to understand what that switch/valve does. Quite frankly their explanations suck.

If I understand correctly it is installed in the power beyond out from the loader valve. When you press the buttons (why two???) it diverts the power beyond flow to the motor and the return from the motor goes to the tank port on the tractors hydraulic block. When you turn the Lane Shark off the power beyond flow goes through the valve to the implement return port on the tractors hydraulic block.

If that is correct your three point lift and rear remotes will not work when the Lane Shark is running so forget about looping the motor hoses together.

Dan
My understanding of how the Lane Shark valve works is the same as yours. When the Lane Shark motor is running the three point lift does not work.
Can you suggest a source for an oil cooler and a location in the hydraulic circuit?
Also an old Hokie.

Steve Paine

Equipment
MX5200DT, L3800DT
May 6, 2022
Louisiana
The pressure side of the Lane Shark motor is fed by the power beyond side of the loader valve and the motor return goes straight to sump. You are definitely pushing the heat envelope running a 9 GPM hydraulic motor on a HST tractor with hydrostatic power steering and a scant 12 gallons of reservoir.

Dan
The hydraulic system gets hot even when not running the Lane Shark

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The hydraulic system gets hot even when not running the Lane Shark
We had a similar discussion earlier this week. Hydraulic systems naturally get hot but how hot is too hot?

Design oil temperature for a typical industrial system with a large reservoir would be in the range of 100F to 130F.

A hydrostatic transmission in mobil equipment is limited to a smaller reservoir and operates closer to 130F to 180F.

I'd guess your concerns are based on a subjective perception and you dont know the actual temperature you are seeing. Its hard to make any real judgement without a measured oil temperature. Before doing anything else you might want to install an oil temperature gauge.

You can find a decent selection of heat exchangers at Surplus Center but many hydraulic supply companies will have them. Your tractor probably has one already so I'd be looking at adding a second to that circuit. They are typically face mounted on the radiator and utilize the air flow from the engine fan to aid in cooling.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301. KX033-4
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC

Dan
Well, I have lots of hours on the machine, no overheat issues.
But what do I know?
So, you have one or just know all there is to know about them?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well, I have lots of hours on the machine, no overheat issues.
But what do I know?
So, you have one or just know all there is to know about them?
I know very little and I was not addressing your specific situation. My comments were general in nature and in response to the gentleman who believes he is having heating issues.

Let me expound on that a bit. The Lane Shark is 9+ GPM, steering is another 5. and charge pump at least 2. Thats 16+ GPM of continuous flow on a <12 gallon reservoir.

One of the things I do know is that is about 2X the maximum flow most designers would consider reasonable and it means very little dwell time for heat exchange and entrained air to escape the oil. I think that qualifies as "pushing the envelope".

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users