Landpride RCD1884 - Timing Blades and Issues

Lwoadam

Equipment
MX5200
Aug 3, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hello everyone,

First post here. I have about 50 acres in Pennsylvania that I mess around farming myself, food plots, small projects cleaning up etc. Nothing Major.

Purchased an MX5200 with LandPride Grapple and an RCD1884 cutter.

This cutter has given me trouble galore since I have bought it. The rubber "shear" clutch on the intermittent driveline makes the blades get off time constantly.
When I was a kid we used to mow over cinderblocks, pasture rocks, roots, whatever. Never ever remember having these problems before.

It's got to the point where I can't even use this thing with confidence anymore, and tried to trade it back in for a single shaft RCR1884. None available.

Does anyone else have this cutter and is it such a diva? I mean EVERY time I use it, it breaks. I am not mowing heavy duy things, nothing over 2".

Now my fields are overrun with Mares-Tail and i'm hundreds of dollars into repairs and tools to repair them.

Photographs of what I'm talking about. I have replaced these "Weasler Discs" 4 times now in 2021. There is VIOLENT banging of the blades smacking into one another and they are destroyed. I get the idea of the disc - when it stresses and stretches when you run over something, it absorbs that transfer to the gear box. I just want to cut with confidence.

Is my application wrong for this cutter? - Pasture and Mix of Woods - Nothing Completely Crazy

Are these common problems with Dual-Spindle cutters? Love this design width and offset, but a cutter that doesn't cut is worthless.

Does anyone else have this problem?? I can't imagine I am the only one.

A frustrated Customer

Photographs of the Intermittent Driveline and the "Weasler Disc" hub assembly. I wish there was a way to convert this to a slip or shear pin clutch for the intermittent driveline and then this thing would be a hit. Photos for reference and thanks in advanced.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I have the same cutter and it works flawlessly. I would like to redirect your thoughts on the function of this component.

It is NOT an overforce device or clutch! It is a flex coupling between the gearboxes that allows a certain amount of misalignment.

If you are destroying the disk, then you are exceeding its torque or angularity limits. A Lovejoy coupling of the appropriate size might be a suitable alternative.

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Just a thought seeing the pictures and you describing blades hitting, while I am not familiar with that cutter do the blades overlap? I see it has a spline and wonder if the manual has a specific place where the flex coupling has to be to avoid hitting between the blades in operation. If it was assembled wrong and was close it wouldn't take much for them to hit when the coupling stretched.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The blades have a fixed overlap distance. The overlap is not adjustable, that's why timing is critical. The splines allow you to slide the coupling apart to facilitate changing the disk. For some reason the OP is tearing up the disk....could have been the outboard blade assembly striking an object causing the disk to tear or whatever.

Lwoadam

Equipment
MX5200
Aug 3, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have the same cutter and it works flawlessly. I would like to redirect your thoughts on the function of this component.

It is NOT an overforce device or clutch! It is a flex coupling between the gearboxes that allows a certain amount of misalignment.

If you are destroying the disk, then you are exceeding its torque or angularity limits. A Lovejoy coupling of the appropriate size might be a suitable alternative.
How is it not acting as a overforce device if it rips when I hit something? I feel like a shear pin would be a much better design to keep time of the intermittent driveline. When this "misalignment" happens, and the blades hit, that's when you're suppose to know?

I am destroying these disks on a regular basis. I have ran over plenty with this unit, but nothing that significant, and EVERY time the disk gets compromised and the blades smack into one another and is rendered useless, new disc, hit something, same thing happens. It can be a tight turn, a root, small stump or even large clumps of grass.

I'm just not sold on this unit for rough pasture and was hoping there would be some sort of alternative, more robust connection for this driveline.

Lwoadam

Equipment
MX5200
Aug 3, 2021
Pennsylvania
The blades have a fixed overlap distance. The overlap is not adjustable, that's why timing is critical. The splines allow you to slide the coupling apart to facilitate changing the disk. For some reason the OP is tearing up the disk....could have been the outboard blade assembly striking an object causing the disk to tear or whatever.
Yeah it's just insanity that so much hinges on that, imo, chintzy disc. It should be a slip clutch with overspeed to disengage the outboard cutter.

Lwoadam

Equipment
MX5200
Aug 3, 2021
Pennsylvania
Just a thought seeing the pictures and you describing blades hitting, while I am not familiar with that cutter do the blades overlap? I see it has a spline and wonder if the manual has a specific place where the flex coupling has to be to avoid hitting between the blades in operation. If it was assembled wrong and was close it wouldn't take much for them to hit when the coupling stretched.
No, the flex coupler fits between both spline spindles with no definite arrangement.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
How is it not acting as a overforce device if it rips when I hit something? I feel like a shear pin would be a much better design to keep time of the intermittent driveline. When this "misalignment" happens, and the blades hit, that's when you're suppose to know?

I am destroying these disks on a regular basis. I have ran over plenty with this unit, but nothing that significant, and EVERY time the disk gets compromised and the blades smack into one another and is rendered useless, new disc, hit something, same thing happens. It can be a tight turn, a root, small stump or even large clumps of grass.

I'm just not sold on this unit for rough pasture and was hoping there would be some sort of alternative, more robust connection for this driveline.
The slip clutch on the input shaft of the main gearbox should be adjusted to slip before destroying the flex coupling disk....might want to investigate that.

trentstractor

Dec 3, 2022
Statesville NC
Hello everyone,

First post here. I have about 50 acres in Pennsylvania that I mess around farming myself, food plots, small projects cleaning up etc. Nothing Major.

Purchased an MX5200 with LandPride Grapple and an RCD1884 cutter.

This cutter has given me trouble galore since I have bought it. The rubber "shear" clutch on the intermittent driveline makes the blades get off time constantly.
When I was a kid we used to mow over cinderblocks, pasture rocks, roots, whatever. Never ever remember having these problems before.

It's got to the point where I can't even use this thing with confidence anymore, and tried to trade it back in for a single shaft RCR1884. None available.

Does anyone else have this cutter and is it such a diva? I mean EVERY time I use it, it breaks. I am not mowing heavy duy things, nothing over 2".

Now my fields are overrun with Mares-Tail and i'm hundreds of dollars into repairs and tools to repair them.

Photographs of what I'm talking about. I have replaced these "Weasler Discs" 4 times now in 2021. There is VIOLENT banging of the blades smacking into one another and they are destroyed. I get the idea of the disc - when it stresses and stretches when you run over something, it absorbs that transfer to the gear box. I just want to cut with confidence.

Is my application wrong for this cutter? - Pasture and Mix of Woods - Nothing Completely Crazy

Are these common problems with Dual-Spindle cutters? Love this design width and offset, but a cutter that doesn't cut is worthless.

Does anyone else have this problem?? I can't imagine I am the only one.

A frustrated Customer

Photographs of the Intermittent Driveline and the "Weasler Disc" hub assembly. I wish there was a way to convert this to a slip or shear pin clutch for the intermittent driveline and then this thing would be a hit. Photos for reference and thanks in advanced.

You are missing parts in the assembly. There are special washers that go against the rubber disc. There are also steel bushings through the disc, that are not visible and could be missing. Check the parts catalog. Also, timing can be off by one spline and cause problems. The blade carriers must be perfectly perpendicular to each other.