Land Pro 5 foot brush hog separation

fma1015

Oct 22, 2017
Raymond, WA
I did not know the clutch of the mower was bolted on so the drive shaft separated for the mower. I found the bolt, but the clutch end of the drive shaft did not want to slide back on the mower end.

Do I?

Detach the clutch from drive shaft and bang it on and hope I can line up the holes that the bolt goes through both pieces?

File down some apparent rough sports, the clutch first because the other end is nice and shiny?

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

20200603_183049
.jpg
1.4MB

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don’t 100% understand what happened but if you are saying the PTO shaft separated then you need to get the inner shaft turned into the same orientation as the outer shaft. They will only fit together in one way. For example there are triangular shapes and have to be rotated 120 degrees until the two halves are able to fit together.

Hope that makes sense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I think the OP is talking about near the gear box where a slip clutch attaches. My "slip clutch" never slips, I shear the bolts that hold the "slip clutch" on to the gear box.

Look to see if there is a burr that needs to be filed down...
Not sure if I understand what you're saying 100%, but there are instructions on how to set the tension on the clutch so it will slip correctly. When I adjusted mine when I first got it, it was too tight. Hopefully, I have it set correctly now so it will slip rather than shear bolts.

Ted

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, agree with Ted. Sounds like “old and tired” has his clutch-bolts too tight and his clutch is unable to slip.... if he’s losing shear bolts instead.

There is a video of “slipping the clutch” which should be done each year to confirm the clutch is working properly. TractorMike on you tube, things you should do to your rotary cutter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVRr9eechLI

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Yes, you are both correct... :eek: :p my slip clutch has never been adjusted. Adjusting it is one of the last projects on my todo list... which is long. I should be retired in a couple of years and then I'll have plenty of time to adjust it. Until then, I'll rely on a $0.59 bolt to protect the gear box.

Just for the fun of it, this mower, LandPride, was originally bought for $250 to "find" all the hidden treasures in my pasture. After that, I would buy a good mower but it turns out, this IS a good mower.

The mower mainly turns big rocks into gravel (or at least smaller rocks). I have started to re-skin the old girl as she started to rust out pretty badly. Seems re-skinning her is higher on the todo list than adjusting her slip clutch.