Land Pride STB1072 Question

clarksvilleal

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, BSS65 Box Blade, 6' Landscape Rake, Wallenstein BXM32 shredder
May 28, 2011
Maryland
I have an LX3310 / LA535 on order. I am thinking seriously about getting the Land Pride STB1072 Snow Blade, for both snow removal and light grading (in locked blade configuration, for moving/spreading loose dirt, mulch, gravel, etc., per the Land Pride manual). I plan to get it equipped with a hydraulic angle adjustment option. However the manual shows single cylinder and dual cylinder options. The manual says "Each option will angle up to 30 degrees to the left and to the right..."

Is there any difference in operation between the single and dual cylinder options? Is there any significant advantage to the dual cylinder option? Are there things you can do with the dual cylinders that you cannot do with the single cylinder version? Obviously the cost will be significantly higher for the dual cylinder option; but I can't find any discussion in the Land Pride literature on criteria for choosing the single vs. dual cylinder option.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think you’d be better off with a typical rear blade and leave the loader on. Adding the hydraulic kit would be ok. What I found is that I end up with a pile of snow that I still need the bucket to move. I usually plow with my Polaris Ranger, and so I like having a front blade. But when you need to move a pile, a bucket is handy.

At the end of the day, my situation could be completely different than yours, so think about where you will move the snow and if the snow blade will handle all you need.

One thing I’ve finally figured out, for instance, is that I need to pile snow on the downhill side of the road. Sounds obvious, but never mattered until last year when it took forever to full melt the piles of snow.

One more thing, you lose width when you angle the blade so 72 might not be enough width.

Have fun.

clarksvilleal

Equipment
May 28, 2011
Maryland
I think you’d be better off with a typical rear blade and leave the loader on. Adding the hydraulic kit would be ok. What I found is that I end up with a pile of snow that I still need the bucket to move. I usually plow with my Polaris Ranger, and so I like having a front blade. But when you need to move a pile, a bucket is handy.

At the end of the day, my situation could be completely different than yours, so think about where you will move the snow and if the snow blade will handle all you need.

One thing I’ve finally figured out, for instance, is that I need to pile snow on the downhill side of the road. Sounds obvious, but never mattered until last year when it took forever to full melt the piles of snow.

One more thing, you lose width when you angle the blade so 72 might not be enough width.

Have fun.
Thanks for the reply, Jim. I'm in an area where we don't get really big snowfalls (big for us -- 1' or more) more than once every 8 or 10 years. Most years we do get at least one and often 2 or 3 from 6 - 10 inches that require me to get the Ariens snowblower out, which can take several hours of hard work to clear the whole drive. I have a semi-circular asphalt driveway with a total length of about 400', plus a paved parking pad on the garage side of the house that's about 50' x 60'. I'm getting up in years, and while still healthy and able to clear the whole area with the snowblower, it's slow and it's no fun.

I don't have a standard rear blade. I do have a 5' box grader, and have used it to clear snow a couple of times with my B2910 (which I'm trading in for the LX3310), but it was a pain and I was always worried about damaging the asphalt. Plus I really don't like clearing snow (or grading) going backwards; hurts my neck and is just plain uncomfortable.

One reason I want the Land Pride snow blade is that it can also be used for light grading, spreading mulch, etc., of which I have a fair amount that I plan to do once I get the new tractor.

As for wider, the next size up is the STB1584 84" blade, which weighs almost twice as much - 648 lbs - and which seems to me it might be a little too big for a 30 HP LX3310.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I run an old 6 1/2ft fisher plow with no problems.

The single piston will be fine for snow plowing. Get the double if you plan to push anything else with it.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have an LX3310 / LA535 on order. I am thinking seriously about getting the Land Pride STB1072 Snow Blade, for both snow removal and light grading (in locked blade configuration, for moving/spreading loose dirt, mulch, gravel, etc., per the Land Pride manual). I plan to get it equipped with a hydraulic angle adjustment option. However the manual shows single cylinder and dual cylinder options. The manual says "Each option will angle up to 30 degrees to the left and to the right..."

Is there any difference in operation between the single and dual cylinder options? Is there any significant advantage to the dual cylinder option? Are there things you can do with the dual cylinders that you cannot do with the single cylinder version? Obviously the cost will be significantly higher for the dual cylinder option; but I can't find any discussion in the Land Pride literature on criteria for choosing the single vs. dual cylinder option.
I've been blowing snow with a BX and front mount snow blower for the past five years but last February opted for an STB1596 when I bought the MX. All STB15 models have dual cylinders with an optional cushion valve, which mine has. The STB15 models are much heavier and it seems intuitive that the dual cylinders are better i.e. more torque, more power, more efficient and more capable at rotating the blade, particularly when there's a load in front of the blade. Think about the days before power steering was common place when we'd grab the steering wheel with both hands and turn the wheel using a push/pull configuration. Imagine trying that with one hand.

I would choose the dual cylinder version with the cushion valve if possible. I am extremely pleased with the STB1596 and would buy it again, no doubt about it.

stb1596_03.jpg

stb1596_02.jpg

stb1596_01.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

clarksvilleal

Equipment
May 28, 2011
Maryland
I've been blowing snow with a BX and front mount snow blower for the past five years but last February opted for an STB1596 when I bought the MX. All STB15 models have dual cylinders with an optional cushion valve, which mine has. The STB15 models are much heavier and it seems intuitive that the dual cylinders are better i.e. more torque, more power, more efficient and more capable at rotating the blade, particularly when there's a load in front of the blade. Think about the days before power steering was common place when we'd grab the steering wheel with both hands and turn the wheel using a push/pull configuration. Imagine trying that with one hand.

I would choose the dual cylinder version with the cushion valve if possible. I am extremely pleased with the STB1596 and would buy it again, no doubt about it.
Great pictures, mcm. Thanks. I still plan to go with the STB1072, which the dealer is telling me is the appropriate size for the LX3310. And after a discussion with the dealer I have also decided on the dual cylinder option. He confirmed what Sleddog said about needing the dual cylinder for pushing anything but snow. And I will get the cushion valve as well.

Thanks to all for the good advice!

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have also decided on the dual cylinder option. He confirmed what Sleddog said about needing the dual cylinder for pushing anything but snow.
I don't agree that the dual cylinder option is only good for pushing "anything but snow". Snow can be very heavy, and snow with packed snow behind it can be very hard to move. Land Pride makes the point that these blades are only intended for "light grading" and there are better implements for moving dirt.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
A plow for a truck has a hinge to allow the blade to float. These LP plows mount solid to the FEL. The blade gets packed with snow or bumps into something frozen to the ground, the FEL float function doesn't work right. The front axle lifts from the ground. If you want a front blade look for another manufacturer that has a lift chain and a hinge near the SSQA plate

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A plow for a truck has a hinge to allow the blade to float. These LP plows mount solid to the FEL. The blade gets packed with snow or bumps into something frozen to the ground, the FEL float function doesn't work right. The front axle lifts from the ground. If you want a front blade look for another manufacturer that has a lift chain and a hinge near the SSQA plate
The LP front snow blades have a trip feature with springs, plus they have side float allowing for +/- 5 degree or rotation relative to the FEL, and they have the option of a cushion valve, and the FEL has a float function. I pushed a fair amount of snow around last winter without any problems at all.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
The LP front snow blades have a trip feature with springs, plus they have side float allowing for +/- 5 degree or rotation relative to the FEL, and they have the option of a cushion valve, and the FEL has a float function. I pushed a fair amount of snow around last winter without any problems at all.
I've used a rear blade only for over 40 years. On my gravel drive the front blade has been the biggest PITA attachment I have ever used. The float mal-functions the way I described. The front blade works best if it never touches the ground. After the front axle leaves the ground the trip springs will trip but, you've carved a groove in drive or lawn.
20160101_210401.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've used a rear blade only for over 40 years. On my gravel drive the front blade has been the biggest PITA attachment I have ever used. The float mal-functions the way I described. The front blade works best if it never touches the ground. After the front axle leaves the ground the trip springs will trip but, you've carved a groove in drive or lawn.
It doesn't matter to me if you've used a rear blade for 100 years. I plow 800 yards of gravel driveway and blow 200 yards of asphalt at my place and I haven't had the issues you've had. The STB1596 was great last winter and no doubt will be great every winter.

I'm using an MX6000 to push the blade so maybe the combination I have along with my driveway works for me.