Land Pride RTR 1266 PTO help

matlock123

Oct 1, 2021
USA
Long story short, the dealer installed the 2 clevises incorrectly on my tiller causing the PTO to be too long. Not knowing any better I cut the PTO down and it worked although the tiller was at a horrid angle and did not work well. After more research I learned I needed to rotate the Clevis 90 degrees on the square tube. Now the tiller sits right on the tractor, but the PTO is now too short :mad:.

I am trying to resolve this issue as cheaply as possible. Land pride only sells the front end of the PTO or the back end of the PTO. I only need the shaft which they do not sell. To resolve this through the dealer will cost about $300 getting Land Pride parts.

Can I get a 3rd party PTO tube like a Weasler or some other manufacturer? If so what do you reccomend?

There are also cheap PTOs online, would this be a good option?

What would you do? I am a new to tractors, so any advice/specifics are appreciated.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I just went through this for my RTA1258 tiller as I installed a quick hitch and had to lengthen all my PTO shafts (5!).

I inquired with land pride, my local kubota dealer and even messicks. They each told me I had to buy a new PTO shaft assembly as a whole ($360). Additionally, they told me to get a new safety shield, I had to buy a whole new assembly as well. Pretty ridiculous.

What I ended up doing was taking the PTO shaft to a local "driveshaft shop", I did not know such places existed but they are out there. I used google to find mine. The shop actually had the shaft stock on their shelf and was familiar with the work. There is a roll pin they knock out, press out the old shaft, then install new shaft stock. I did not have a press here, so I couldn't DIY. They only charged me about $40 for each shaft pair. For the safety shield, I purchased a universal PTO shaft shield on Amazon, and it works perfect, in fact I like it better.

There are also places that sell the shaft stock online but there are a lot of different profiles to pick from.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Long story short, the dealer installed the 2 clevises incorrectly on my tiller causing the PTO to be too long. Not knowing any better I cut the PTO down and it worked although the tiller was at a horrid angle and did not work well. After more research I learned I needed to rotate the Clevis 90 degrees on the square tube. Now the tiller sits right on the tractor, but the PTO is now too short :mad:.

I am trying to resolve this issue as cheaply as possible. Land pride only sells the front end of the PTO or the back end of the PTO. I only need the shaft which they do not sell. To resolve this through the dealer will cost about $300 getting Land Pride parts.

Can I get a 3rd party PTO tube like a Weasler or some other manufacturer? If so what do you reccomend?

There are also cheap PTOs online, would this be a good option?

What would you do? I am a new to tractors, so any advice/specifics are appreciated.
My local tractor dealer sold my the front and rear shaft. I knockout the roll pin and did it my self. I think about $30.00.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd really appreciate a picture of what went wrong, getin old and can't 'see' what 'clevises' you're talking about.
The dealer SHOULD be helping you,seeing how THEY caused the problem,sad that they aren't.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I imagine he's talking about these as they are configurable in many ways. It's in the book, you'd think the guy putting it together would have read it.

matlock123

Oct 1, 2021
USA
Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to get the tube replaced and sized correctly!

I have now run into another problem. When I was tilling smoke started coming from the slip clutch. I think I may have overtightened it?

Can anyone help me understand if overtightening the slip clutch would cause this and if so how to properly tighten it?

Will I likely need a new friction disc or could anything else have been damaged?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
In the book for the tiller they provide a spec for the correct height of the springs on the slip clutch. I don’t have this value off hand but know it’s in the book for the tiller.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
You do not have the clutch tight enough...it is slipping because of that, that's why it's smoking, it's slipping. This is all basic stuff and the owners manual needs to be read. I'm having zero problems when following the literature.

Reactions: 1 users