LA535 Loader 54 vs 60" Bucket

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
All, about to purchase an LX2610 and one more question I realized i forgot to ask previously is what bucket should I pick up? To me the 60" bucket seems to have very little downside except weight, is it a lot heavier than 54"? Having a hard time finding the weights of each.

brettskub

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, LA535, BH77, LP 60” Grapple, LP Box Scrape, LP Forks
Mar 8, 2021
Port Orchard, WA
I had the same dilemma and went with the 54” mainly to get material out of a landscape trailer. Downside is my tires are a couple inches wider than the bucket. Looks like weight diff is 29 lbs. Hope the attached helps or link to other loader manuals: Kubotabooks.com
5B4C400B-79A3-423F-A6C2-294F636F7819.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
I have a LX3310 and ended up putting the 54" bucket with a cutting edge. It is a beefer bucket and covers the tracks when back dragging (barely). If you are only scooping loose material or light digging , the 60 will do well, but I live in hard chert dirt territory and wanted a little tougher bucket. The difference in weight is negligible...

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Wider is better for light material. I think either will work or they wouldn’t offer them. Narrow is better for tight spaces. I don’t think 6 inches will make it that much more manueverable. I’ve only had my tractor 6 weeks, but my 66 inch bucket doesn’t seem too wide on my L2501.

I’d look to see if the buckets have the same design to add hooks etc. Or, if your dealer does it, have them add the weld on hooks. I know some dealers will add them for free which just saves a bit of effort if you ever want them. That was a mini regret for me.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Based on the above specs for the bucket, a 54 inch bucket is holding about 700 pounds when filled with gravel (crusher - gravel and sand). I just leveled a 35 x 35 foot site with the FEL and box blade; I then spread and leveled 18 tons of crusher over the site (30 by 30 foot pavilion style shed will be installed). I had to do some limited digging into the ground (hard clay) on the back side of the site (it was 1-1.5 ft high at the edge sloping to level over a distance of 5 - 10 feet). I am pleased that I have the 54 inch bucket for heavy/hard work. However if you needs are for more volume at lower weights, you might want to choose the 60 inch bucket. The downside to the 60 inch bucket will be that it reduces your ability to dig, push into hard piles and probably most importantly may prevent you from lifting a full bucket to full height to dump.

Reactions: 2 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I went with the 60" bucket for mine because I knew that I would be adding rear wheel spacers. I also recently ordered a tooth bar for it as well. One difference if your interested in doing bolt on hooks is the new buckets for the LX's allow for Ken's combo hooks where the older square back style do not. Just something to specify if your interested as I received the older style bucket with my LX2610.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The B2650/LX2610 will lift a full 60" bucket with whatever fits inside of it. I'd recommend a tooth bar if your intention is to dig with it routinely. Adding a tooth bar also adds capacity to the bucket.

Reactions: 4 users

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I opted for the 60" bucket as well, I knew it was going to be used extensively for snow removal so the wide track coverage is excellent. I also have numerous landscaping projects and this bucket works great for that.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Based on the above specs for the bucket, a 54 inch bucket is holding about 700 pounds when filled with gravel (crusher - gravel and sand). I just leveled a 35 x 35 foot site with the FEL and box blade; I then spread and leveled 18 tons of crusher over the site (30 by 30 foot pavilion style shed will be installed). I had to do some limited digging into the ground (hard clay) on the back side of the site (it was 1-1.5 ft high at the edge sloping to level over a distance of 5 - 10 feet). I am pleased that I have the 54 inch bucket for heavy/hard work. However if you needs are for more volume at lower weights, you might want to choose the 60 inch bucket. The downside to the 60 inch bucket will be that it reduces your ability to dig, push into hard piles and probably most importantly may prevent you from lifting a full bucket to full height to dump.
I said nearly exactly the same thing in another thread about exactly the same thing, and was quickly told I was wrong.

Here's what the dealer told me when I was shopping:

"If you're planning on rough digging in natural soil or want to equip the machine with a backhoe that normally has some heavy material moving involved, stick with the standard 54 inch bucket on the LA535 because it's beefier and designed for rougher duty. The 60 inch bucket will be better for lighter dryer materials if you plan on loading trailers from stockpiles such as chips, mulch, or washed gravel because it is made from lighter gauge material so that it doesn't add significantly more weight to the front of the loader"

Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
The B2650/LX2610 will lift a full 60" bucket with whatever fits inside of it. I'd recommend a tooth bar if your intention is to dig with it routinely. Adding a tooth bar also adds capacity to the bucket.
FWIW, the Messick's video only shows about 850 lbs. to full height (w/ standard bucket and quick coupler). I would think that you could exceed lift capacity with either bucket, but it would be easier/more likely with the big bucket working with gravel/stone. My estimate of the load with crusher in a 54 inch bucket is about 700 lbs. A 60 inch bucket gives you about 10% more volume capacity. The added weight of the bucket with the additional 10% (and/or a heaping bucket) would put you right at or over the limit with crusher. If you were moving heavier materials, you would be over.

Of course, carrying height weight is much higher

brettskub

Equipment
Mar 8, 2021
Port Orchard, WA
This is almost exactly what I will have to do with my LX, 54” bucket and box blade. Did you have a tooth bar or cutting edge on your bucket? I figure I may have to break into it with the BH first (mine is a full slope of about 2 ft over a similar distance) but soil conditions will dictate what I ultimately need to do.

brettskub

Equipment
Mar 8, 2021
Port Orchard, WA
I went with the 60" bucket for mine because I knew that I would be adding rear wheel spacers. I also recently ordered a tooth bar for it as well. One difference if your interested in doing bolt on hooks is the new buckets for the LX's allow for Ken's combo hooks where the older square back style do not. Just something to specify if your interested as I received the older style bucket with my LX2610.
I’m curious as to why you received the old style on your LX and how one can tell the difference. I’m very close to receiving mine and want to ensure it’s the new bucket that can accept the hooks. Thanks.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I’m curious as to why you received the old style on your LX and how one can tell the difference. I’m very close to receiving mine and want to ensure it’s the new bucket that can accept the hooks. Thanks.
Mine was delivered back in December when everything was hard to come by so I'm guessing they just grabbed an older bucket that they had in stock. Both the older and newer style buckets will accept hooks on the top, but only the newer style will allow for the combo hooks on the top and bottom. B2371 and B2372 are the part numbers for the newer buckets. Also, here is a link to @Kennyd4110's website that has a lot of helpful information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
This is almost exactly what I will have to do with my LX, 54” bucket and box blade. Did you have a tooth bar or cutting edge on your bucket? I figure I may have to break into it with the BH first (mine is a full slope of about 2 ft over a similar distance) but soil conditions will dictate what I ultimately need to do.
I just have the standard bucket - no tooth bar. I did not have any problems digging into the hard clay; the area also has some rocks. My bucket is unscathed. However, it had rained often the week before I was working the site, but the site is on a well drained hill.
I do not expect to have to do this work much in the future. If I did, I would buy a tooth bar. Most of my future work will be done with the grapple.

Last edited:

brettskub

Equipment
Mar 8, 2021
Port Orchard, WA
Mine was delivered back in December where everything was hard to come by so I'm guessing they just grabbed an older bucket that they had in stock. Both the older style and the newer style will accept hooks on the top but only the newer style will allow for the combo hooks on the top and bottom. B2371 and B2372 are the part numbers for the new buckets. Also, here is a link to Ken's page that has a lot of helpful information.

That link is really informative. Just confirmed mine will have the B2371. Many thanks!