La524 fel

Hammer Head

Equipment
L3800 LA524 B77, Ford 1720, Scag Tiger Cat
Oct 6, 2013
Lock Haven, PA
My loader seams to be on the weak side. I have heard there is a way to boost the pressure to gain additional lifting capacity? Also I have heard that changes to the pressure may void the warranty.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I ask the dealer to make the changes?
Jeff

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You should have the dealer check the hydraulic pressure with a guage. That is the only way to know if it needs to have the pressure bumped up safely.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I just posted what I had done to my hydraulics to boost the FEL lifting. I think its in the next forum up at (FEL rating).

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The FEL on my L3800 has impressed me, but I will put a gauge on it at some point just to see if it'll do more.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Bluegill,
Do you have the larger SS style bucket or the standard. I thought it may be due to the larger bucket?
I have the standard bucket and this is one reason I wanted it. I feel it fits the size of this tractor better. The standard one is also closer to the pins, thus slightly higher lift capacity.

Hammer Head

Equipment
Oct 6, 2013
Lock Haven, PA
I have the standard bucket and this is one reason I wanted it. I feel it fits the size of this tractor better. The standard one is also closer to the pins, thus slightly higher lift capacity.
Had to go with the SS bucket so I can use forks, never thought about the bucket being more forward. This forum is great, if I could have thought of all the questions before the purchase!!

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Had to go with the SS bucket so I can use forks, never thought about the bucket being more forward. This forum is great, if I could have thought of all the questions before the purchase!!
The smaller bucket digs better and a heaping load of gravel/dirt spilling off all four sides is not close to the lift limit on mine.

I rarely need forks, but I have a set and I might build a frame for them. I'll just use the bucket pins. Not as easy to change out, but pulling four pins ain't that bad either. Or I might make a 3 pt frame for the forks?

If you have to change out the bucket for other attachments often, say more than once a day, then the quick set up is probably better. But I like the pin on bucket better...

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I got the SS bucket, and have regretted the choice. Mostly because it seems to put the bucket WAY out in front of you. Having the bucket back another 6-8" would help with all capacities.
Having said that, I cannot begin to complain about the capability. I wouldn't want a narrower bucket. My rear tires are spaced out to 66", both for hillside stability and winter chains, so 66" is a good bucket width. I have handled 1200+ lbs of concrete blocks, no problem. I've dug out rocks too big to pick up, but could push them around OK. Digging into a hillside, I can always to get a heaping bucketful of dirt/sod. With R4s, I lose traction long before I loose bucket capacity.
If you are having lift problems, check the hydraulic pressure. I'd have the dealer adjust it, or at least call him and tell him what you are about to do, and the pressure you are adjusting to. The manual on the loader says 2347 max psi.

Hammer Head

Equipment
Oct 6, 2013
Lock Haven, PA
I got the SS bucket, and have regretted the choice. Mostly because it seems to put the bucket WAY out in front of you. Having the bucket back another 6-8" would help with all capacities.
Having said that, I cannot begin to complain about the capability. I wouldn't want a narrower bucket. My rear tires are spaced out to 66", both for hillside stability and winter chains, so 66" is a good bucket width. I have handled 1200+ lbs of concrete blocks, no problem. I've dug out rocks too big to pick up, but could push them around OK. Digging into a hillside, I can always to get a heaping bucketful of dirt/sod. With R4s, I lose traction long before I loose bucket capacity.
If you are having lift problems, check the hydraulic pressure. I'd have the dealer adjust it, or at least call him and tell him what you are about to do, and the pressure you are adjusting to. The manual on the loader says 2347 max psi.
Thanks for the help.
How do you go about checking the pressure?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I know. I was wondering if the extra HP from the L3800 somehow made a difference in lift capacity on the same loader?
Tractordata.com shows the same capabilities for the LA524 loader on both tractors. My GUESS is there's a standard/common hydraulic pressure that Kubota uses. Since it's the same loader the cylinders are used so the same pressure on the same cylinder = same lift.

That pic reminds me that it's about time to put the cab back on. Sounds windy and chilly outside this morning. Hopefully we'll see more snow here this winter:D

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I know. I was wondering if the extra HP from the L3800 somehow made a difference in lift capacity on the same loader?
The hydraulic pressure will vary a bit between individual tractors. Thus two rigs with same loader might act a little different.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
To check the pressure you'll have to go out and get a pressure gauge, probably with a range of about 4000psi. Then you have to connect it to one if the hoses or QDs on the loader. Operate the corresponding lever and see what you have.
The LA524 uses DIXON 3/8" quick disconnects. Take one, or several pictures of one down to your local hydraulics supplier and they can match you up for about half of what your Kubota dealer charges.
By the time you buy the fittings and gauge you'll probably be out $50. You'll use it once, and put it on the shelf. You might be better off having the dealer check and adjust the pressure, and be done with it.
After you are finished fooling with the FEL hoses, make sure you turn off the tractor and move the valve handle around to relieve the pressures, or it can be a bear getting things back together. And wear a face shield - a high pressure oil squirt to the face/eyes can ruin your whole day.

Hammer Head

Equipment
Oct 6, 2013
Lock Haven, PA
To check the pressure you'll have to go out and get a pressure gauge, probably with a range of about 4000psi. Then you have to connect it to one if the hoses or QDs on the loader. Operate the corresponding lever and see what you have.
The LA524 uses DIXON 3/8" quick disconnects. Take one, or several pictures of one down to your local hydraulics supplier and they can match you up for about half of what your Kubota dealer charges.
By the time you buy the fittings and gauge you'll probably be out $50. You'll use it once, and put it on the shelf. You might be better off having the dealer check and adjust the pressure, and be done with it.
After you are finished fooling with the FEL hoses, make sure you turn off the tractor and move the valve handle around to relieve the pressures, or it can be a bear getting things back together. And wear a face shield - a high pressure oil squirt to the face/eyes can ruin your whole day.
I think I can handle the pressure check myself rather than drag everything to the dealer. If the pressure is not to spec. than I will have to visit the dealer and have them shim it or what ever needs to be done.
I only have a couple of hours on the tractor, so I would rather have them deal with it.
Thanks,
Jeff