LA344s

ondrajka

Dec 9, 2017
grass lake
I have a bx2380 and am going to buy a loader in the spring.

I found a demonstration video from a equipment dealer where they said the la344 and la340 loaders are identical, they have different warranties and they use the different numbers to track them.

On ebay there is a service manual for a la344,la344s.

What does the "S" stand for in la344s?

MedB

Feb 8, 2018
SmallTown, New England
Pretty sure the "S" is the SSQA (skid steer attach) version, while the regular 344 has the traditional pin-on bucket instead. Same loader except for the bucket attachment style.

Seems there is debate on which is better because of the lower lift capacity caused by the extra weight and distance from pins on the SSQA version... may be something to think about on the BX?

Last edited:

Lizlec

Equipment
BX1870-1 + LA203A FEL + B2789 3PT SB + 54" HLA1500 Snowpusher
Feb 4, 2018
Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada
The LA344"S" is the one with the quick attach for the bucket / implement. If you don't plan to have other implement than the bucket (like pallet forks), no need for the quick attach.

And even if you change your mind and buy another item afterward, it's a bit longer to do but not impossible to change the implement with the "pin-on" version ;-)

Reactions: 1 user

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
I just purchased my BX2380 last week. The LA340 and LA344 are identical pin on FEL's just different part numbers, the LA340 is for the BX23S TBL and the LA344 is for all other models.

Add an 'S' to either LA340S or LA344S for the QA (Quick Attach) removable front bucket. This reduces lift 17% for a FEL that's already a weakling vs other brands in this size tractor. 423 lbs lift that's pathetic, 509 lbs for the pin on which is also pretty weak. Will do what I need it to do but coming from a B2920 that would lift close to 1,000 lbs its quite the step down.

I opted for the plain pin on FEL for max lift. But then I don't need any of the other front implements anyway, just the bucket. If I needed the QA FEL and other front implements I would almost certainly step up in tractor size 1-2 steps.

I started using the FEL yesterday, within its limits it works fine no complaints. Removing/re-installing is pretty easy vs the old style FEL. Love how I don't have to hop on and off the tractor 3-4 times to remove/install the FEL now.

I do notice a bow in the bucket front edge, not sure if that was their before or if they bowed it installing the optional cutting edge but I'll probably loosen all the bolts today and see if it can be straightened out.

Something else to consider with the BX FEL they use thinner steel for the bucket, go take a look at a BX vs B side by side the B bucket is quite a bit thicker steel. If you are hauling bark chips or light soil doesn't really matter, if you plan to use your bucket like a bull dozer pushing stuff it might. I used my B2920 like a bull dozer to push big stumps around, demolish 8 foot high blackberry thickets, it was a beast. Ah the good old days lol.