L5240 log splitter recommendation?

dlwhitlinger

Equipment
Kubota L5240 with FEL and backhoe
Dec 16, 2012
Ossining, New York
We just moved to NY and it looks like we'll be burning 6-8 cords per year. I have a Kubota L5240 with the backhoe so I can easily drop off the backhoe and connect up a 3 point hydraulic log splitter as I already have a quick connect hydraulic line for the backhoe.

Suggestions on a log splitter?

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My opinion is you will be better served with a self powered splitter. They're much faster and cost only a little more and they leave the tractor free for pulling and lifting logs or other chores.

dlwhitlinger

Equipment
Kubota L5240 with FEL and backhoe
Dec 16, 2012
Ossining, New York
Yes, I've thought about owning a separate stand alone splitter, but I don't split enough wood in a year to maintain a separate engine.

Recommendations for a solid 3 point log splitter that matches up to the L5240 hydraulics would be appreciated.

Jim Jacobson

Apr 3, 2012
Bondurant, WY
Might look here:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395410_200395410

I have the gas model of this unit and debated for some time whether or not to get a verticle split option, or dual direction splitter. Got the dual direction and have never looked back. I live in WY and no one has ever seen a dual direction splitter. You can keep several people busy hauling and stacking. Have rented to several folks and so far its split 15 cords or so w/out ANY issues whats-so-ever.

Good luck.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have a Bush Hog brand splitter, rigged for the 3ph. It is plenty heavy duty, and works great for the occasional use it gets. Advantage is it is not something that is hurt by sitting around for a year or two, which is the problem with self powered.
Frankly, if I was burning 6-8 cords a year I'd go along with Kingcreek. You'll get good and tired of swapping on and off implements to split logs, then mow, or till, or do the driveway, or clear snow. Better to have a stand-alone self powered unit.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guess I ll toss in my 2 cents too,, A friend whoes farm I get my wood from has a BIG MF ( thats Massey Fergison) and a 3pt splitter, and we cut and split for him kinda payment for lettin me get my wood,,, But it is a PIA split and toss in to a plie take the tractor back take the spliter off and come all the way back out toss the wood in all the way back and then stack between him and the kids they burn maybe 20 to 25 cords a year.. I can cut haul and split more wood easyer and more quickly and have it stacked than he can,, and thats only because of the 3pt spliter,, even if he were to cut and drag the logs to the barn and cut and split there I would still get done before him useing my standalone spliter though perhaps I may do a little more work,, The upkeep is minable staibel in the gas tank, turn the shutvalve off and let it run out of gas, change oil in the spring and your ready to split these thoughts are just MHO you understand