L5240 3rd function kit build help!!

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
Ok guys I've looked around multiple forums and can't find any definitive answers to my questions pertaining to my tractor and I'm wanting to do a write up of the newer L-40 series tractors.

With that being said i need a few specifics of the hyd system and loader valve. The hoses will be made by a buddy of mine at his shop. If anyone has purchased any of the popular aftermarket kits (specific to the grand L-40 tractors) please add to this thread. For i will be making another thread to include a detailed list of all parts and plenty of pictures.

1. What kinda fittings does this tractor use going from the loader valve to the 3pt which should be my power beyond. Actually all of the ports from the valve would be helpful.

2. Is the "BY" port on the valve the power beyond? It goes to the 3pt valve so I'm assuming it is.

3. What size are the hoses? They look to be 1/2" but I'm not sure.

I can figure the rest out but just need this info to buy all the fittings to make the hoses.

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
Ok guys I've looked around multiple forums and can't find any definitive answers to my questions pertaining to my tractor and I'm wanting to do a write up of the newer L-40 series tractors.

With that being said i need a few specifics of the hyd system and loader valve. The hoses will be made by a buddy of mine at his shop. If anyone has purchased any of the popular aftermarket kits (specific to the grand L-40 tractors) please add to this thread. For i will be making another thread to include a detailed list of all parts and plenty of pictures.

1. What kinda fittings does this tractor use going from the loader valve to the 3pt which should be my power beyond. Actually all of the ports from the valve would be helpful.

2. Is the "BY" port on the valve the power beyond? It goes to the 3pt valve so I'm assuming it is.

3. What size are the hoses? They look to be 1/2" but I'm not sure.

I can figure the rest out but just need this info to buy all the fittings to make the hoses.
If you go to the Kubota web site and look under the parts tab you can view the hydraulic hose/tubing routing.
I think that they may be hard lines with banjo fittings.
I checked and they are.

Do you have the factory back hoe?
That makes it easier, since the loader valve feeds the backhoe and then the three point. I believe those are hoses and not hard lines. Then you could add your valve before the back hoe.

If you don't have a back hoe you could order the lines 230 and 250 which are banjo fitting to JIC it looks like. At least you can see once you receive them.

View attachment BH Hydro.pdf

View attachment Hydro supply.pdf

Last edited:

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
I've looked at the parts diagram and see where they have the banjo fitting coming off the loader valve and looks to be a short line that's threaded on the end maybe for pipe threads. Its hard to tell from the illustration. But can't find any fitting or line going to the 3pt banjo fitting in any illustration. Thats why i was hoping someone could post some pictures or at least give me some insight.

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
I've looked at the parts diagram and see where they have the banjo fitting coming off the loader valve and looks to be a short line that's threaded on the end maybe for pipe threads. Its hard to tell from the illustration. But can't find any fitting or line going to the 3pt banjo fitting in any illustration. Thats why i was hoping someone could post some pictures or at least give me some insight.
If you look at the PDFs I just posted "hydro supply" #10 feeds the 3pt from the loader valve...Banjo to banjo.

Look at PDF "BH Hydro" You need to order # 230 and 250 that will get you converted to hoses.
And I think Kubota uses alot of JIC fittings on the hydro systems.
You won't know exactly what size and type until you receive the hard lines 230 and 250.

I'm in the planing stages to add a "true third function" for my L4240 that is on order. I wanted the factory 3rd funtion but the dealer said they're on back order for three weeks.

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
Dixie
From what I understand from your starting post is that you want to add a 3rd function and not rear remotes?

If it is is a third function will the valve be a solenoid type?
If so have you figured out the switch type and location?
I ordered a John Deere Joystick grip and switch including all of the screws for less than $75.00 shipped.
I can forward the part numbers and vendor contact if you need it.

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
Dixie
From what I understand from your starting post is that you want to add a 3rd function and not rear remotes?

If it is is a third function will the valve be a solenoid type?
If so have you figured out the switch type and location?
I ordered a John Deere Joystick grip and switch including all of the screws for less than $75.00 shipped.
I can forward the part numbers and vendor contact if you need it.
man I cant believe I didn't think to look there for them. I was looking at the factory third function kit and I could only find the one coming off the loader valve and was getting aggravated as crap lol. This is exactly what I was looking for thank you.

Yes it is a solenoid type 3rd function I want to put on with a new joystick. I actually already have all the parts I need except those banjo fittings. I'm waiting on my quick couplers to come in and i will be ordering these 2 lines from Kubota tomorrow. that should complete everything i need to finish it up so i can start a thread for anyone who wishes to build their own kit. i kind of wish i new what exactly the aftermarket guys building the kits use instead of those banjo fittings for the backhoe. it would prob make the install a little bit cheaper.

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
man I cant believe I didn't think to look there for them. I was looking at the factory third function kit and I could only find the one coming off the loader valve and was getting aggravated as crap lol. This is exactly what I was looking for thank you.

Yes it is a solenoid type 3rd function I want to put on with a new joystick. I actually already have all the parts I need except those banjo fittings. I'm waiting on my quick couplers to come in and i will be ordering these 2 lines from Kubota tomorrow. that should complete everything i need to finish it up so i can start a thread for anyone who wishes to build their own kit. i kind of wish i new what exactly the aftermarket guys building the kits use instead of those banjo fittings for the backhoe. it would prob make the install a little bit cheaper.
The factory 3rd function installs directly off of the hydro pump, thus the solenoid valve sub plate contains a relief, tank return, power beyond to the loader and the work ports. Five hydro connections.
The loader valve already contains a relief so you definitely want to have your 3rd function after it, but before the 3point valve.

I'm not sure what the aftermarket vendors are using.
I would gather that the banjo fitting bolt threads are straight thread.
So you may be able to use a SAE/ORB fitting into the loader valve with a JIC male on the end of it for your new hose.

If you have access to the tractor yo may want to remove one of the banjo fittings and see if a SAE/ORB fitting will thread in.
Could save you some serious money.

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
A SAE ORB fitting will go into the loader valve power beyond port. The threads are 3/4-16 but the one banjo bolt going in the 3pt valve is smaller at 5/8-18 threads. And haven't found a fitting with those threads.

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
Yes the only one that looks like it may work would be the SAE J512 45 deg flared. But i would have to put an o-ring on it and not sure if it would seal very well. I looked at all this before i started the thread and figured i would ask before i just purchased a bunch of fittings that wouldn't work.

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
I guess you could just order the part #250 (7K500-64950) for $45 plus shipping that would convert you to JIC I assume. or remove yours cut it and braze the correct fitting on it.

I've ordered the factory Back hoe so I'm all set.

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
I just ordered both lines. Figured i could just set it up like the backhoe. I'll be buying more land and building a house so I'm gonna purchase a BH92 in a few years anyway.