L4802 or MX5400 to purchase?

John99

Equipment
B7200, L4701
Mar 28, 2023
Xenia, OH
Trying to decide. 10 acres, half wooded. Leaning toward the L4802 b/c it is a bit smaller and easier to maneuver. Also the dealer says the big K basically isn't making many MX's b/c the profits and sales are in the L series. A customer ordered an MX in July 22, estimated delivery December 23!

Anyways, one concern I have is the hydraulic pump capacity in the L4802 is 7.8GPM vs. 9.5 GPM in the MX 5400. I will do a lot of digging the the backhoe and wonder if the lesser pump flow rate will slow down the backhoe.

Anyone with ideas or experience? Thanks

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I’m not sure what the price difference is between the L4802 vs. MX5400 right now but, I’d be looking at the MX because it’s a more substantial and capable tractor. It’s true the L4802 is a bit smaller but, you’re getting more tractor for your money in the MX. But, if availability is a concern/issue, the L4802 will be a great alternative.

Honestly, you really can’t go wrong with either choice.

Mike

Reactions: 5 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
$/hp is lower when you go MX or M series...at least it was in 2020.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Trying to decide. 10 acres, half wooded. Leaning toward the L4802 b/c it is a bit smaller and easier to maneuver. Also the dealer says the big K basically isn't making many MX's b/c the profits and sales are in the L series. A customer ordered an MX in July 22, estimated delivery December 23!

Anyways, one concern I have is the hydraulic pump capacity in the L4802 is 7.8GPM vs. 9.5 GPM in the MX 5400. I will do a lot of digging the the backhoe and wonder if the lesser pump flow rate will slow down the backhoe.

Good day. I am very biased…;)so there is that. I have an open station with a BH92. I have not used the BH much, and I don’t think for a Transactional (single use) purchase it makes much sense, but it so far has been flawless, and I would still buy again even though price doesn’t justify for immediate/short term use. Anyway, for someone that doesn’t operate commercial earth moving equipment regularly the BH paired with an MX is very helpful for a weekend / infrequent user (ie. Myself). Its easy on/off and it’s there when I want it. IMO regarding the tractor size don’t get hung up in acres / HP….figure out what you want to lift, move, or attach to it…that is not necessarily acreage dependent. So figure out the weight and stance of the machine you need for the work (lift/push/pull/flow for attachment) you want to do and then add some SWLL for margin. just my thought.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
MX no doubt over the orphan model
I prefer the MX myself for the capability and value, but why do you always knock the L4701 and 4802 as “the orphan model?” It’s a tractor, not a child. And it’s a popular model. I suggest that describing the features is a better way to make your point, instead calling it a weird name. The MX has larger front wheels, more loader capacity and stability, the ability to use cat 1 or 2 implements, telescoping lift arms, and many other upgrades for a similar price.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If the choice is between an L4802 now or an MX in 18 months, then I'd get the L4802. When supply comes back you can always sell it and get an MX if there's any capability you're missing.

Yes, the MX is bigger and heavier, and more machine for the money. The lift capabilities and HP are similar. What that means to me is that if you're doing ground engaging tasks the MX would probably be better. But if you're mostly running implements or using the loader, they'll be similar. And if you need to trailer it somewhere, or fit into a small shed, or fit through specific sized gaps, the L may be a better machine.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If the choice is between an L4802 now or an MX in 18 months, then I'd get the L4802. When supply comes back you can always sell it and get an MX if there's any capability you're missing.

Yes, the MX is bigger and heavier, and more machine for the money. The lift capabilities and HP are similar. What that means to me is that if you're doing ground engaging tasks the MX would probably be better. But if you're mostly running implements or using the loader, they'll be similar. And if you need to trailer it somewhere, or fit into a small shed, or fit through specific sized gaps, the L may be a better machine.
Deleted

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
MX no doubt over the orphan model
This is your tenth post on six threads that you've referred to the L4701/4802 as an 'orphan'. I'm curious why? Seems if the 4701 was an orphan, Kubota wouldn't have come out with the updated model.

Reactions: 2 users

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California

Really, this is the question OP should be considering... "What are you doing with this machine?" The only thing mentioned is digging. If you want to dig as your primary activity, get a mini excavator, you will be 1000x happier than a subcompact tractor backhoe.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Obviously, the 4802 isn't an orphan or it would be called 4802 instead of 4701.

That being said, the difference in price between a L4701 and MX5400 used to be only a bit with the MX having more lift, more hp, etc. If that is still the same, I'd go MX5400.

Keep in mind that the L3902 etc is quite a bit smaller than a L4802. The L4802 is only a bit smaller than a MX. However, the MX is much more capable with a stronger loader and Class 1/2 rear end with more HP.

Hard to say if you'll notice the greater hydro flow, but more won't hurt anything.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Obviously, the 4802 isn't an orphan or it would be called 4802 instead of 4701.

That being said, the difference in price between a L4701 and MX5400 used to be only a bit with the MX having more lift, more hp, etc. If that is still the same, I'd go MX5400.

Keep in mind that the L3902 etc is quite a bit smaller than a L4802. The L4802 is only a bit smaller than a MX. However, the MX is much more capable with a stronger loader and Class 1/2 rear end with more HP.

Hard to say if you'll notice the greater hydro flow, but more won't hurt anything.
Also, the MX category 2 hitch allows for using beefier implements on the 3ph.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
This question comes up occasionally, probably because of similarity in price and in some areas performance.

The MX has significantly more loader capacity. That’s the glaring performance differentiator between the two models. The ability to run Cat 2 implements may be a big deal to some but IMO not a real advantage in this size machine unless you already have some Cat 2 stuff small enough for it to run. Otherwise, the differences are real but incremental.

When I bought my 4701, there was a 5400 sitting beside it. Both fit my budget. There are several places on our property where the machine has to go where the 5400 is simply too large. That has been discussed before as well with some saying “it’s only a little larger”. A 5/16” bolt is only a little larger than a 1/4” hole, and sometimes enlarging the hole is not desirable.

So, I bought the L4701 and haven’t regretted it for one minute. It’s a very capable machine if you want a basic open station tractor. It has done everything I need it to do.

However, I would have chosen the 5400 if it hadn’t been too large. I don’t know what the price difference is currently. At the time I bought mine the difference was about $2500 which I gladly would have paid for the additional loader capacity. However, I wouldn’t wait a year or more for a 5400 if there was a 4701 ready for delivery unless the loader capacity was a deal breaker.

I do understand why some refer to the L4701 as an orphan. That’s been discussed before as well. If that’s the type criteria you use to make equipment buying decisions, good luck to you.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

WOW!
The Kubota nomenclature.....L4802..... led me to believe that that the tractor itself was an updated model/version of the L48.
The L4802 has 7.8 GPM flow, v/s the L48 at 24.9 GPM?
I realize that the L48 is a backhoe machine, and needs more flow, but other than having 4 wheels, the L4802 apparently has little commonality with the similarly named, but long out of production, L48 ?

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This question comes up occasionally, probably because of similarity in price and in some areas performance.

The MX has significantly more loader capacity. That’s the glaring performance differentiator between the two models. The ability to run Cat 2 implements may be a big deal to some but IMO not a real advantage in this size machine unless you already have some Cat 2 stuff small enough for it to run. Otherwise, the differences are real but incremental.

When I bought my 4701, there was a 5400 sitting beside it. Both fit my budget. There are several places on our property where the machine has to go where the 5400 is simply too large. That has been discussed before as well with some saying “it’s only a little larger”. A 5/16” bolt is only a little larger than a 1/4” hole, and sometimes enlarging the hole is not desirable.

So, I bought the L4701 and haven’t regretted it for one minute. It’s a very capable machine if you want a basic open station tractor. It has done everything I need it to do.

However, I would have chosen the 5400 if it hadn’t been too large. I don’t know what the price difference is currently. At the time I bought mine the difference was about $2500 which I gladly would have paid for the additional loader capacity. However, I wouldn’t wait a year or more for a 5400 if there was a 4701 ready for delivery unless the loader capacity was a deal breaker.

I do understand why some refer to the L4701 as an orphan. That’s been discussed before as well. If that’s the type criteria you use to make equipment buying decisions, good luck to you.
My personal preference for cat2 implement capability is my rear blade. From past experience, light blades aren’t very useful. It takes a heavy blade with offset and tilt capabilities to really work well. My 8’ cat 2 blade is 1025 pounds. It will cut and grade a hard roadbed when most lighter weight blades just chatter and bounce on the surface.

Reactions: 1 user

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I bought an L401. I would have preferred an MX5400, but at the time the price difference combined with the financing difference (L series had 0%) added up to quite a bit more money and put the MX out of my budget. If you’re like me, you’d be very happy with the L, but if you go that route on occasion wonder how much happier you would be with an MX.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
You arent going to notice any difference in the BH with 2 gpm flow difference. They are both going to move about he same speed (pretty slow I might add). The MX will be heavier so you are less likely to move the machine when digging.

What kind of digging are we talking about? Asking as you mentioned this in the OP.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'll throw in my $0.02 for the L4802 vs. the MX5400 debate. I started out with a BX25D about seven years ago and it was definitely too small for many things that I wanted to do. The MX6000 open station that I upgraded to was a big jump, and big enough for me to notice. It took a while for the size shock to wear off, but wear off it did. Now I see the MX tractors as being kind of small, and BX models are just toyish to me. It's all relative, and now after the jump from an MX6000 cab to M6060 cab, which is a big jump, my idea of a big tractor has changed yet again.

There are many models that are close enough together that you'd have to use both regularly to really see the differences in terms of performance. These two fall into that category, so make your choice based on what you plan to do, do some reading, look at specs, watch some videos and try to make the best choice for you ... today. That choice might turn out to be fine or not. We all face that risk when we buy a tractor. I will say this, I very much doubt you'll regret your purchase regardless of which model you buy. Without the luxury of comparison you'll never know.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Really, this is the question OP should be considering... "What are you doing with this machine?" The only thing mentioned is digging. If you want to dig as your primary activity, get a mini excavator, you will be 1000x happier than a subcompact tractor backhoe.

"If you want to dig as your primary activity, get a mini excavator, you will be 1000x happier than a subcompact tractor backhoe".

If you want to dig as your.. only... activity, get a mini excavator!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'll come back to my earlier advice. In a choice between a tractor now and a tractor later, tractor now is always the right choice. A whole year of tractor ownership difference between the two says buy the one that's available now. The differences between the two tractors aren't huge. The difference between having a tractor and not having a tractor is.