L4740-1 ROPS Died - Won't Restart

Schmitty

Equipment
L4740, grapple, forks, box blade
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
As I was pulling out from a big pile of topsoil the tractor chugged and died, like it ran out of fuel abruptly, not a fast cut off like when a safety is interrupted like a seat switch. When trying to restart I see PTO>NEUTRAL>CLUTCH>DEPRESS on the Intellipanel.

Someone previously cut off the blue wires on the PTO microswitch. I would assume the other end of those wires are connected together somewhere. I did dig around and found a non-factory loop that was in bad shape and reterminated it. But it is not known if this was the PTO sensor as the wire colors did not match, and it did not fix the issue. I did notice that other miscroswitches had blue wires as well, so maybe all switches change color as they travel from the switch?

I checked the fuses in the front and at the dash. At the dash there was a 10A fuse in the TM/Controller2 spot that was blown. This location specifies 5A as well. That was replaced without success. Keystop, panel, and TM/Controller1 have no fuses currently and never had for as long as I've had this tractor, coming up on 4 years.

I have gone through the Operators manual, but I do not have a WSM for a -1 only a -3, so I cannot rely on the wiring diagrams. Anyway, I am dead in the water without my tractor. I put a multimeter on the clutch switch and it was fine open/closed, I don't know why the ECU would indicate the clutch would need to be depressed. Even with the seat removed and disconnecting those two switches I did not get any additional errors on the Intellipanel.

Is there an easy way to test the PTO safety interlock? Are the colors int eh third picture below consistent with a 4740-1 PTO switch? They are black with red and orange with black. Help is appreciated...I have a permit expiring at the end of the month and there is a bunch of work to do!

Thanks,
Schmitty

IMG_0611 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0612 (Medium).JPG

Here is the PTO wiring that would tell the tractor the PTO is on, when the microswitch is open. The small wires that were connected poorly can be seen sprouting out of the loom in the lower right corner of the picture.
IMG_0613 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0615 (Medium).JPG

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Forum member Lugbolt posted this procedure. I have never used it but it may help you.

Lugbolt on reading safety switches in codes.

I'm familiar with these things

first is the hourmeter showing any codes (P0606, etc)? If so, call the dealer. There isn't much you can do to them beyond basic stuff...everything else, requires kubota software and hardware.

No codes? Ok do this......

with the key OFF, hold down both of the buttons on the left side of the dash, both at the same time...for a few seconds. Then turn the key on. Look at your hourmeter it should say "A". Let off of those two buttons now. Now, push and hold the RIGHT button, and you'll hear a beep and the hourmeter lcd should show something like 1:(with a number following 1:). Pay no attention to that, when you see 1: let off the right button and don't touch it no more. At this point you can AUDIBLY test every single safety switch's operation. They are all on-off switches. HST pedal switch. Move the pedal forward from neutral and you should hear a beep. Let it return to neutral and once it hits neutral you will hear a beep again. Repeat for reverse, then let it return to neutral, should beep. That lets you know the hst neutral switch is working properly. NO beep? Switch wire is off or switch is bad (two likeliest issues). Repeat for pto switch. engine off for all of the tests. Turn the pto "on" you outta hear a beep. Turn it off and it outta beep again. NO beeps, your pto switch is not sensing an on or off condition check wiring and check the switch to make sure one of them didn't fall off. Repeat again for hi-low range or forward-reverse shifter. Outta beep when it comes out of neutral. Repeat again for seat switch, outta beep when ou get out of the seat. Only other switch would be for parking brake and it is not on the start circuit. Neither is the seat switch. It should at least crank over regardless of whether you're on the seat or not. Once your done playing with the beeper and you have isolated your issue, turn the key off and fix your issue. When you restart, the hourmeter will return to normal.

Dave

Schmitty

Equipment
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, without wires connected to the PTO switch I will not be able to test that switch. I do hear the beeps when actuating the HST pedal while the ignition is in run but the tractor is off, without even going into this test mode. I am concerned that the feedback I am getting from the tractor indicates that the clutch is not depressed and the HST pedal is not centered/neutral even though they are and the switches test as good.

Perhaps the ECU is bad or the harness needs to be reseated? It has been quite dry and dusty the last couple months.

Either way I will use the above procedure to test the engine start conditions for an HST; clutch, pedal, PTO. If I can muster enough strength I may reconnect the seat presence switch to test that one as well.

Schmitty

Equipment
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
whitetiger, would/should the procedure for testing the switches be in the WSM? Is there a way to electronically bypass these safety interlocks temporarily through the dash instead of shorting wires together?

I did play with it a bit more, disconnecting the battery and waiting ~5 minutes then trying again without any change in result.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
whitetiger, would/should the procedure for testing the switches be in the WSM? Is there a way to electronically bypass these safety interlocks temporarily through the dash instead of shorting wires together?

I did play with it a bit more, disconnecting the battery and waiting ~5 minutes then trying again without any change in result.
No, there is no way to bypass them through the dash, they can be unplugged and jumped by touching the harness wire ends together.
The WSM does show how to test each switch using a multi meter.

Schmitty

Equipment
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
Solution found:
-The wiring for the seat tilt and operator presence were both in bad shape and were cut and butt connected, likely leading to the blown fuse.
-The PTO bypass butt was redone.
-The clutch switch was adjusted as it did not appear to be getting fully depressed by the clutch pedal/lever.

I don't know how all of these things broke at once, but the tractor is back to operational, just needed some electrical know-how and time. ;)

Thanks all, for the help.

Reactions: 1 user