L4701 wont start

terryd

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 4, 2023
Missouri
Can I get some assistance? L4701 will not start unless I give it brake fluid in the air intake. It got hot once, never in the red and immediately cooled it off and shut it down, sprayed off the dirt everywhere and had dirty fuel. Bled the lines, changed filters and it won't start without the spray to the intake. Any ideas that may assist me?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Can I get some assistance? L4701 will not start unless I give it brake fluid in the air intake. It got hot once, never in the red and immediately cooled it off and shut it down, sprayed off the dirt everywhere and had dirty fuel. Bled the lines, changed filters and it won't start without the spray to the intake. Any ideas that may assist me?
Oops.....
DO NOT spray ANYTHING - EVER - into the "air intake"!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A L4701 is a computerized engine.

Any type of “helper” in the intake could cause some pre-ignition issues that can bend rods or damage pistons.

Never heard of using brake fluid, but guessing could cause similar problems.

Are you sure have good flow of fuel all the way to the injection pump?

There’s a common issue with the filter housing getting gummed up in the 90 fitting on the intake side with debris in some models.

Good luck, and stop spraying anything into the intake….😉

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suggest you evaluate if there is good fuel flow available to the injection pump or not and then if there is good fuel flow read how to bleed the fuel system on your tractor and go through that process and see if it starts.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get the WSM (aka Service manual) and read how to bleed the fuel system.
You need to NOT spray anything into the intake, these are very close tolerance electronic controlled systems and forcing it to run is not the answer!
If it will not start under normal and recommended procedures you'll need to get professional help!
You can't treat this like a 40 year old tractor, you will cause some serious damage if you haven't already!

Reactions: 1 user