L4701 or MX5200 - Stuck on Decision

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The addt’l hydraulic capability of the MX5400 that “taps in” to the hydraulics is worth the $500 alone! You’ll have much more capability in the future with that tractor. I’ll bet the dealer will throw in delivery to make the sale, especially if you tell him about the other dealer.

lewgar

Jun 22, 2020
Canonsburg, PA
MX5400 it is, now the pressure is on to finish the pole barn. Garage doors are the last piece and delivery is delayed they say due to Covid....

Thanks for all the input and thoughts.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
the MX5400 with the trailblazer is worth the money no question!!! the lane shark is a good tool but the trail blazer has a ton more power with its dedicated pto pump. I have run a Lane shark on a M125x, it worked good until you touched the loader or 3 point. it was kinda frustrating trying to sculpt a tree line or mow a ditch bank, the Trail Blazer with its aux power supply is amazing, I have run it on my little L2501 and worked very well. personally I think the TB is built a bit stronger.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
the MX5400 with the trailblazer is worth the money no question!!! the lane shark is a good tool but the trail blazer has a ton more power with its dedicated pto pump. I have run a Lane shark on a M125x, it worked good until you touched the loader or 3 point. it was kinda frustrating trying to sculpt a tree line or mow a ditch bank, the Trail Blazer with its aux power supply is amazing, I have run it on my little L2501 and worked very well. personally I think the TB is built a bit stronger.
I have a similar problem with my Lane Shark. I have found that if I start high, it doesn't cut power to the Lane Shark while lowering (only when I raise up). I can also raise very very slowly and not get it to cut back on power. Maybe once I get money again, I can afford to hook it up with a PTO pump, but it works better than a pole saw and some Alleve for now.

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
Am late to the party, and hope you'll allow my two-cents of input.
Am a new tractor owner, and was in the same consideration as you, on the L4701 versus the MX5200.
I never did drive the L, but just took the guidance of my salesman, and went with the MX.
Have had it only 10 months now, and just did my 50 Hour service.
So, I have no honest reference to anything for advice, but would like to share that I really like my MX5200.
Am sure you'll be super-happy with the MX5400!
Good luck with it, hope it does work out great.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
To the OP.
This may seem like an odd question, but what is the elevation where your property is located? I'm at 3,000 ft and that causes a slight loss of HP. If you're in a similar situation, you may want to consider the larger engine.