L4701 or MX5200 - Stuck on Decision

lewgar

Jun 22, 2020
Canonsburg, PA
I have 50 acres, 30 open field and 20 woods and trails in hilly WV. I am looking or an open station L4701 or MX5200. Brush hogging, grading and smoothing trails, clearing trails, moving dirt and other things around. I am between the L4701 and MX5200, is the extra cost worth it for the MX5200. I know everyone says get as much horsepower as you can, but will I use it and do I need it.

The attachments I will be getting to do all this work. FEL with 3rd Function kit, backhoe, box blade, Lane Shark or Trailblazer Flex and later on a grapple. Tires will be filled and Hydro static transmission.

Is the L4701 enough or should I step up to MX5200? What in practicality do I gain or lose with either machine? The dealers are not much help and really recommend both. I am stuck doing the analysis for a week or more now.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I'll 2nd the above, buy the MX, I have a MX5800 and a couple of L tractors, I would not survive without my MX.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I have an L4701 HST and I love it. But, for me, it was an upgrade from an L3301 or L3901 that is what I probably actually "needed" for my purposes. I would go with the MX if you can afford it. Always go up a size if you can. I also got a Lane Shark (LS3 smaller one) hooked up to my third function. According to Tractor Data, the MX has a bit more hydraulic flow than my L4701 (9.5gpm vs 7.8gpm). You could probably get the bigger Lane Shark for the MX. I think they want at least 9gpm for the bigger one. The only real advantage the L4701 might have over the MX (other than price) is tighter turning and faster loader, but I imagine with 50 acres these are of little concern to you? I love mine, but I think of it as I got the bigger tractor. You should probably do the same.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Another thing to consider is that the MX has a handful more HP at the PTO than the L4701. This may end up forcing you into CATII implements (more $$$). It seems that most of the CATI implements that require a PTO have gearboxes rated ~40HP. L4701 is just under 40HP @ PTO and MX is just over. Someone with more experience than me can correct me if I'm wrong, but this may mean CATII brush hog??

lewgar

Jun 22, 2020
Canonsburg, PA
Another thing to consider is that the MX has a handful more HP at the PTO than the L4701. This may end up forcing you into CATII implements (more $$$). It seems that most of the CATI implements that require a PTO have gearboxes rated ~40HP. L4701 is just under 40HP @ PTO and MX is just over. Someone with more experience than me can correct me if I'm wrong, but this may mean CATII brush hog??
This is an angle I was looking into as well Cat I vs Cat II implements and cost difference.

lewgar

Jun 22, 2020
Canonsburg, PA
I have an L4701 HST and I love it. But, for me, it was an upgrade from an L3301 or L3901 that is what I probably actually "needed" for my purposes. I would go with the MX if you can afford it. Always go up a size if you can. I also got a Lane Shark (LS3 smaller one) hooked up to my third function. According to Tractor Data, the MX has a bit more hydraulic flow than my L4701 (9.5gpm vs 7.8gpm). You could probably get the bigger Lane Shark for the MX. I think they want at least 9gpm for the bigger one. The only real advantage the L4701 might have over the MX (other than price) is tighter turning and faster loader, but I imagine with 50 acres these are of little concern to you? I love mine, but I think of it as I got the bigger tractor. You should probably do the same.

Did you install your own Lane Shark or did the dealer? I was curious other than installing the box to control on/off, did you have to do any additional hydraulic work with additional hoses above and beyond the 3rd function valve? I am not opposed to doing the work, but it is not clear if you need the additional plumbing if you have a 3rd function.

lewgar

Jun 22, 2020
Canonsburg, PA
Since it is your money, I vote MX.

The MX is $2k more as it stands, without working with the dealer or getting another quote. I think I can get them down another $2k-$3k based on the whole package he put together. But still researching so not really pushing the dealers yet for final pricing.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Did you install your own Lane Shark or did the dealer? I was curious other than installing the box to control on/off, did you have to do any additional hydraulic work with additional hoses above and beyond the 3rd function valve? I am not opposed to doing the work, but it is not clear if you need the additional plumbing if you have a 3rd function.
The dealer installed mine as part of the deal, but I was prepared to do it myself. There is the control box which could be replaced by something else that is cheaper, but their control box is definitely nice. The only other additional plumbing is that you have to T into the sump with the return line. If it wasn't raining, I'd go take some pictures for you (maybe tomorrow). So, you will end up with 3 lines. The normal 2 for the third function and then the return line. My dealer used 3/8" flat faced couplers for the third function and then ran a regular ag type coupler for the return line. This way, I can't hook the Lane Shark incorrectly. It works great for what it is.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Lewgar,

I saw your comment above about Cat 1 and cat 2 attachments. This is not an issue, the MX 5200 has about 44HP at the PTO. I have lots of Cat 1 attachments that I use on my MX 5800, first thing is spend about $8 for a set of cat 1 to cat 2 sleeves as cat 1 pins are smaller than the cat 2 holes in 3pt arms. Anything that drives by PTO should have drive-line protection either shear pin or slip clutch, anything you just pull is subject to damage by misuse typically not pulling HP.

You will find many attachments that have stepped attachment pins and can be used on either cat 1 or cat 2. Attachments will not be more expensive because you selected a MX 5200 v's L4701.

You do need to pay attention to what you are doing both in terms of safety and drive line protection. Make sure shear bolts are correct specification and make sure slip clutches are adjusted every season and tested, these rules apply no matter what size of tractor you have.

Good luck in ,making your selection.

TXMX5200

May 2, 2020
Richmond, TX
I recently got the 5200 ....and as said the implements aren't an issue. I picked up the conversion sleeves for few dollars and my attachments used on my 1953 Ford NAA hook up fine...cat1 or 2 doesnt matter.

I went bigger to handle round bales with the loader. Personally, I would go with the 5200 for those few times the extra size and hp will be needed.

Fyi...may shop for a good used model. I found this 2014 with 97 hours with the loader and is like new for under 15k. Its 2wd and you may need 4wd, but depends on what your needs are.

Attachments

Pburchett

Equipment
MX5200HST
May 7, 2016
South Central KY
Same here! I went with the MX 5200 HST 4x4 It felt more stable on uneven ground. I use the implements from my Ford 640 without issue. I just had to get the Cat 1 to Cat 2 sleeves for the implements. I do trailer mine once or twice a year so I got a bigger trailer as I had a 7000 pound axle car hauler. Still every once in a while I still need a bigger tractor and more HP.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you are buying on a finance plan.... you will NEVER GET IT CHEAPER than RIGHT NOW and you will always regret not having bought the more capable tractor. Making payments on a lesser tractor will EAT at you for a long time.
Bigger engines, anchors, bilge-pumps are almost always better.... having a too-small tool is never good.

lewgar

Jun 22, 2020
Canonsburg, PA
If you are buying on a finance plan.... you will NEVER GET IT CHEAPER than RIGHT NOW and you will always regret not having bought the more capable tractor. Making payments on a lesser tractor will EAT at you for a long time.
Bigger engines, anchors, bilge-pumps are almost always better.... having a too-small tool is never good.
Well I drove the l4701 and MX5400 this weekend. They did not have an MX5200 at the lot. Hands down the mx is the way I will go.

Discussing with the finance committee. Price is lowest of the 3 dealers I have asked to quote me.

lewgar

Jun 22, 2020
Canonsburg, PA
Well I drove the l4701 and MX5400 this weekend. They did not have an MX5200 at the lot. Hands down the mx is the way I will go.

Discussing with the finance committee. Price is lowest of the 3 dealers I have asked to quote me.
Ok, so the MX5200 at the place I test drove at is sold and he will do the MX5400 for $500 more. I have another dealer that has the MX5200 in stock and price is $500 cheaper. The only difference between the 2 is The MX5400 (45 min away) is $240 delivery other dealer with the MX5200 is throwing in delivery, 2 hrs away. I have not asked the dealer with the MX5400 that is 45 minutes away, I will bet he will throw it in to make the sale . So for the MX5400 I am roughly $1k more with delivery than the MX5200 or $500 more if they throw in delivery. The MX5400 will have a lane shark, the MX5200 a trailblazer TB-FLEX. The trailblazer includes the reservoir tank in the price and runs off the PTO vs lane shark tapping into hydraulics and adding a separate box to turn off/on.

The question is, is the MX5400 worth the extra $500 for the few HP? Also MX5400 it is a newer model and some tweaks where the PTO on/off is, handle on both fenders, rubber mat, etc... all minor stuff or items I can add to the MX5200. I think I like the more simple setup of the Trailblazer TB-FLEX as it runs off the PTO vs. tapping into hydraulics and separate on/off box in the operator station.

What are your thoughts, I am trying to make a decision today.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Well shoot. Just now reading your post. At this point, go with what you want. Doubt you can go wrong with either.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
No decision here for the tractor I would buy the new MX5400 for the extra $500. Your cutting attachment is another decision.