L4701 Coolant level drop after servicing

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Hello All, I appreciate all the advice I have received since joining this group.

I drained my radiator and reservoir. Topped off radiator and reservoir. Ran engine ten minutes and there was no change in level. Operated the machine for two hours. Level went from high mark to below the low mark, almost empty, on the reservoir. Just checking if this is normal? Thanks

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Probably. Just burped/purged air. I find that sometimes I have to top off the recovery tank a few times before it stays steady. Run, get hot, let cool, air is purged and coolant drawn in. Level drops.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Probably. Just burped/purged air. I find that sometimes I have to top off the recovery tank a few times before it stays steady. Run, get hot, let cool, air is purged and coolant drawn in. Level drops.

+1.....I dislike (AKA F'ing hate...)working on cooling systems because of this phenomena......(I use the "F" word because if you are unfamiliar with the particular system, it ranges from "ooooo boy, some coolant spilled out.............all the way to .........."HOLY FU&K , that thing is overheating!!!"

I use a "vacuum filler" to avoid this problem.

There may be some sort of system that these vacuum fillers do not work for, but I have not found one yet.

150 bucks......Worth it, IMHO.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRH5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I ran into this with my RTV-X900… I thought I‘d done the job properly…. then it overheated almost immediately…… I shut it down….. THEN I found there was in the Owner’s Manual an “engine coolant breather” (located behind the drivers seat, between cab and dump-bed.) when re-filling the system. I don’t think this is intuitive for most owners. (I recall my days as a Toyota-tech in the early ‘70s there were instructs to open various devices in cooling systems in order to avoid air-pockets that will fool-with sensors and thermostats and also will prevent completely filling the systems. )

IMG_2490.png

Last edited:

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Thanks for the replies. This has been a learning experience.

Reactions: 1 user