L47 vs. SVL65 Breakout Force - trying to decide between two machines

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
I am trying to decide which machine I will get for my new 55-acre multi-purpose property. It has tillable land, RV sites and neglected wooded areas.

I originally determined that the L47 would be a great all around and powerful machine for all the things I need to do.

Then I started thinking that a SVL 65 high flow skid steer+ Danuser Intimidator would help me be faster in the early years with a lot of invasive honeysuckle removal, but also allow most other tasks I need to do. Buy some basic attachments (pallet forks, grapple, post auger) and rent others like a cold planer for reworking asphalt paths.

I would really only be giving up the backhoe and less expensive/less powerful implements in exchange for a faster more powerful machine.

Then I saw that the L47 breakout force is 4531lbs and the SVL65-2 is 4614lbs. Only 70lbs difference. Now I am reconsidering. :). Are those breakout force ratings almost equivalent in real life? The L47 is very heavy built with good hydraulic flow.

Any experienced folks out there helping me decide between a great mulipurpose TLB and a skid steer?

What are your thoughts?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am trying to decide which machine I will get for my new 55-acre multi-purpose property. It has tillable land, RV sites and neglected wooded areas.

I originally determined that the L47 would be a great all around and powerful machine for all the things I need to do.

Then I started thinking that a SVL 65 high flow skid steer+ Danuser Intimidator would help me be faster in the early years with a lot of invasive honeysuckle removal, but also allow most other tasks I need to do. Buy some basic attachments (pallet forks, grapple, post auger) and rent others like a cold planer for reworking asphalt paths.

I would really only be giving up the backhoe and less expensive/less powerful implements in exchange for a faster more powerful machine.

Then I saw that the L47 breakout force is 4531lbs and the SVL65-2 is 4614lbs. Only 70lbs difference. Now I am reconsidering. :). Are those breakout force ratings almost equivalent in real life? The L47 is very heavy built with good hydraulic flow.

Any experienced folks out there helping me decide between a great mulipurpose TLB and a skid steer?

What are your thoughts?
Wow....tough choice.
I have a Kubota L48 TLB (older brother to the L47).
The L48/L47 machines are often referred to as "Swiss army knives".

That said: a tracked machine like the SVL-65, can be best for many things.
I would say for your described uses though, the L47 might be best,.... because you will find MANY uses for the backhoe!

If the cost difference is not a killer, I would actually suggest the larger M62.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd think of you're going to FARM some of that 55 acres, you need a tractor NOT a skidsteer.
Possibly write down on paper ALL the jobs, big and small and then check off which machine is best suited for the task ? Also include TIME to do the tasks. And of course the cost and time to GET the needed implements and attachments. Will this be your 'day job' or a 'weekend warrior' deal ??
Neither is the BEST job for ALL of the tasks, so do your 'homework' before you sign on the dotted line.....
How skilled are you at operating the equipment ? Might be cheaper to rent a man with machine for a day to get a 'project' DONE than you 'learning as you go'.....
options always look at the options...

Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Why choose one, maybe you should just buy both ……lol. I had my MX5800 and found that a track loader was needed for many other tasks. A high flow track loader can run a serious front cutter, super heavy duty, also a disk mulcher. Track loader does some serious root digging with a stump bucket, you can move a lot of weight with the track loader, far more than the front bucket of a tractor. I rented back hoes but found a reason to own and buy one too.

it’s amazing what you can justify if you have the budget and love your toys. If you are on a tight budget I would consider how much time you anticipate for each use for each task, you will have to work out the give and take as the 2 machines you are looking at are very different and have different advantages.

Good luck in making your choice.

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
Wow....tough choice.
I have a Kubota L48 TLB (older brother to the L47).
The L48/L47 machines are often referred to as "Swiss army knives".

That said: a tracked machine like the SVL-65, can be best for many things.
I would say for your described uses though, the L47 might be best,.... because you will find MANY uses for the backhoe!

If the cost difference is not a killer, I would actually suggest the larger M62.

Thanks @fried1765 Appreciate the feedback!

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
I'd think of you're going to FARM some of that 55 acres, you need a tractor NOT a skidsteer.
Possibly write down on paper ALL the jobs, big and small and then check off which machine is best suited for the task ? Also include TIME to do the tasks. And of course the cost and time to GET the needed implements and attachments. Will this be your 'day job' or a 'weekend warrior' deal ??
Neither is the BEST job for ALL of the tasks, so do your 'homework' before you sign on the dotted line.....
How skilled are you at operating the equipment ? Might be cheaper to rent a man with machine for a day to get a 'project' DONE than you 'learning as you go'.....
options always look at the options...

Thanks, GreensvilleJay. I'm just a little unsure of all the tasks that I want to have a tool to help do all the jobs. Although I am open to renting each first to see how they and I perform!

Last edited:

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
Why choose one, maybe you should just buy both ……lol. I had my MX5800 and found that a track loader was needed for many other tasks. A high flow track loader can run a serious front cutter, super heavy duty, also a disk mulcher. Track loader does some serious root digging with a stump bucket, you can move a lot of weight with the track loader, far more than the front bucket of a tractor. I rented back hoes but found a reason to own and buy one too.

it’s amazing what you can justify if you have the budget and love your toys. If you are on a tight budget I would consider how much time you anticipate for each use for each task, you will have to work out the give and take as the 2 machines you are looking at are very different and have different advantages.

Good luck in making your choice.

Ha, ha. Yes, I have imagined eventually having both. :) It's the essence of my dilemma. But I am thinking first buy the one that I need the most at the beginning of this adventure. I can always sell it and get the other when the time to transition is there. Or maybe, we have the cash flow to have both!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
How much do you really need those more obscure implements like an asphalt planer? That sounds like a one-time job to me, but those are the things the skid steer will do better. 55 acres isn't a small property. Skid steers are slow and bumpy. There's a reason most people have tractors. My guess is that the tractor would be better at the jobs you spend 95% of your time doing. The last 5% the tractor probably won't do at all, whereas the skid steer would. I'd hire out those 5%, and focus on the things the tractor will do faster. For example, I couldn't imagine mowing with a skid steer.....

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I was faced with a similar decision a few years ago. I ended up with the L47 with an upgraded 3 PH. I do some bush hog work which is much more comfortable on a tractor.
I work alone most of the time. Being able to get off the machine with the loader arms raised allows me to adjust slings etc.
The visibility is another advantage of the L47. Skid steers have lots of blind spots .

After several months of ownership I added a backhoe to my L47TL which I use more than I ever thought I would.
Works for me.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
How much do you really need those more obscure implements like an asphalt planer? That sounds like a one-time job to me, but those are the things the skid steer will do better. 55 acres isn't a small property. Skid steers are slow and bumpy. There's a reason most people have tractors. My guess is that the tractor would be better at the jobs you spend 95% of your time doing. The last 5% the tractor probably won't do at all, whereas the skid steer would. I'd hire out those 5%, and focus on the things the tractor will do faster. For example, I couldn't imagine mowing with a skid steer.....
Kinda depends on your definition of "mowing".
For lawn mowing I agree, but a ZT mower is best for that.
My neighbor has a tracked (CAT) skid steer, with a 10' hydraulic brush mower.
It is an absolute brute!
I pay him to mow (rough) for me.
My 3pt -60" brush mower sits in the barn!

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
Thanks, Paul. Yeah, I would definitely rent the cold planer to stick on the skid steer for that job.

My key decision point rests on how well the L47 will work for clearing about 16 acres of invasive overgrown Honeysuckle bush. And there's some slopes. I'm thinking I will do it with the Danuser Intimidator tree puller rather than a forestry mulcher.

Long term, I will definitely prefer having the tractor tlb for all the jobs and maintenance.

Thank you for your thoughts!

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
I was faced with a similar decision a few years ago. I ended up with the L47 with an upgraded 3 PH. I do some bush hog work which is much more comfortable on a tractor.
I work alone most of the time. Being able to get off the machine with the loader arms raised allows me to adjust slings etc.
The visibility is another advantage of the L47. Skid steers have lots of blind spots .

After several months of ownership I added a backhoe to my L47TL which I use more than I ever thought I would.
Works for me.
Thanks, notforhire! Great to hear how useful it has been for you.

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
Kinda depends on your definition of "mowing".
For lawn mowing I agree, but a ZT mower is best for that.
My neighbor has a tracked (CAT) skid steer, with a 10' hydraulic brush mower.
It is an absolute brute!
I pay him to mow (rough) for me.
My 3pt -60" brush mower sits in the barn!

Yeah, it always comes down to the specifics of what an owner needs. I have no rough brush cutting, but I do have more finished fields. I'll use a ZT for those areas, neither the tractor nor skid steer.

Thanks for chiming in!

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Use a Danuser Intimdator with M59 and B26. Skid steer not very useful on our 140 acre hillside farm
Grip and how much you can push more important than breakout.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
100_1583.JPG
100_1583.JPG

If you do go with a L47 and want the 3 PH kit, I would suggest getting extendable links and telescopic stabilizers. They are not available as a regular option, but my dealer made up a set from GL parts.
I also added a hydraulic top link and a tilt cylinder (not shown).
The storage rack that is available for the 3PH kit will not work with my cobbled kit.
I just hang everything on my barn wall when the backhoe is on.

Honeysuckle I would think could be removed with a root rake grapple, or with a backhoe. A grapple is handy tool. The loader is powerful enough to handle my 66 inch unit although I suspect a 60 inch would work as well, maybe better in some cases.
If I had the money I would love to add a track skid steer for use with a front brushcutter and grapple for use in the woods.
Until I hit the lottery I guess I'll continue with the L47. : )

Reactions: 1 users

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
If you do go with a L47 and want the 3 PH kit, I would suggest getting extendable links and telescopic stabilizers. They are not available as a regular option, but my dealer made up a set from GL parts.
I also added a hydraulic top link and a tilt cylinder (not shown).
The storage rack that is available for the 3PH kit will not work with my cobbled kit.
I just hang everything on my barn wall when the backhoe is on.

Honeysuckle I would think could be removed with a root rake grapple, or with a backhoe. A grapple is handy tool. The loader is powerful enough to handle my 66 inch unit although I suspect a 60 inch would work as well, maybe better in some cases.
If I had the money I would love to add a track skid steer for use with a front brushcutter and grapple for use in the woods.
Until I hit the lottery I guess I'll continue with the L47. : )

Thanks, notforhire!

All the feedback definitely has me rethinking my lean towards the skid steer...The L47 may just be a better all around and less costly, in terms of attachments, than the skid.

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
I have 1 on order, so I am a bit biased. The price of the machine is crazy, but it does a lot of things in one package.

Its if a Skid Steer, Tractor, and UTV had a love child. Take a look at the ToolCat UW53 -

As a product designer, I always love these well-designed multi-purpose tools. I bought a dilapitated Shopsmith Mark V in high school and rebuilt it because we had a tiny shop room in our basement.

Thanks for suggesting it! It is probably just a little too flexible, general purpose than what I need to begin with.