L4600f

tjquick

Equipment
L4600F
May 22, 2013
Peninsula, Ohio
I purchased a new L4600F two wheel drive tractor about a year ago and really like this machine. It's primary use to mow around the farm with it's attached 6 foot Woods PDR7200 finishing mower. One thing that I noticed right from the beginning is that there seems to be a fair amount of play in the steering wheel. When mowing long rows, I have to correct the steering quite a bit. It's really noticeable driving on the highway to reach another field. It's a hydro-static steering system and I figured that maybe air was inside and would eventually work it's way out. Nothing has improved over the past year, but hasn't been any worse either. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas.
Thanks, Tom

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most likely your play is from one of 2 places, with someone watching very closely at the only the steering ram not the linkage or tires, turn the wheel, does the ram start to move immediately or is there a delay?
If there is a delay the problem could be before the Hydro unit, pull the covers and look at all points from the steering down before it gets to the unit, a warn shaft or pin can cause some play.
If there is no play there, then the problem could be in a seal on the ram, if you turn the steering wheel real slow does it move the front tires or just turn?
With the tractor off do you have steering?

If the ram does move immediately then the problem is in a ball joint, and several could be bad with all of them adding up to play, check them all.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Check the toe in as well, a incorrect setting can cause a "hunting" back and forth sensation.

More so on pavement.

David

tjquick

Equipment
L4600F
May 22, 2013
Peninsula, Ohio
Okay, thanks for the ideas. I did check the linkage and all looks good and tight. The steering wheel just goes to the controller below the console. No direct connection to the front wheels. While the engine is operating, if you turn the steering wheel, nothing happens on the hydraulic cylinder until the wheel turns about 30 degrees. The dealer thought that possible it could be the controller. I still have a year warranty on it and might have it checked out after the season. I was just hoping there was a simple adjustment that could be made.
Thanks...Tom