L4600 Box Blade? What size?

Sid Post

Member

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
121
3
18
Texas, Oklahoma
I'm looking to buy a Land Pride Box blade, one of the BB25's. The weight seems to be a good match for my tractor, any more is likely to be a lift problem and any lighter would be an issue on a larger tractor.

The LAND PRIDE BB2572 seems to be a reasonable size but, it is probably too small for a bigger tractor (I want to be able to clear my tracks). Would my L4600 pull a LAND PRIDE BB2584? If I had my big tractor today, I'm sure I'd get an 8 footer but that would overwhelm my L4600. Plus, I want something reasonable for my L4600 with lighter work so I have a more nimble rig when big power isn't needed.

Soil conditions will generally be pretty soft with a fair amount of sand though, the farm up North is certainly a lot tighter (i.e. no sand just good dark red earth) which would likely only see a bigger tractor. The L4600 will see the sandy soil with some roots and heavy grass FWIW.

So, in summary is the LAND PRIDE BB2584 too much for my L4600?
 

Daren Todd

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
11,063
9,118
113
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm not familiar with the model numbers but if you want to go with the smaller blade and it doesn't dig enough, you can always add weight to it:) my little tractor will only handle a 5 footer. To get it to dig, i made a deck on top of it out of angle iron and heavy gauge steale mesh. If i need the extra weight i load it up. If i'm doing some fine spreading i unload it :)
 

RobD70

New member

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
62
0
0
Marathon, WI
I have a L3800 and got the BB2572 and it works fine for what I use it for. I think you would be fine with either the 72" or 84" box scraper. Im thinking the 72 would cover your tracks though.
 

skeets

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
15,953
5,678
113
SW Pa
One thing I would add here is that its not so much the weight of the box but the traction of the tractor. They get really heavy really fast when you start pulling them, and I have seen smaller boxes stop a big tractor simply because they didn't have the traction,, plenty of power but couldn't get it to the ground right.. bigger aint always better and in box blades this goes double. You might be farther a head to go a little smaller and make 2 passes,, just MHO
 

Sid Post

Member

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
121
3
18
Texas, Oklahoma
*Thanks guys!

Yes, a 6' box blade would definitely cover my tracks with the L4600. With a ~90HP tractor probably not.

Regarding traction, I agree that I'm more likely to loose traction in the L4600 before I run out of HP. However, with wheel weights and possibly some water in the tires it will pull hard with some moisture in the ground. Dry both box blade widths are going to be traction limited.
 
Last edited: