L45 blew hose under the right fender and seat/floor, need some guidance

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Hi,
It took me 5 days to blow a hose on my new L45 lol. I don't think I was doing anything abusive, just was time for that hose. I don't yet understand the hydraulics on this beast, but it's one of the (three?) hoses from the loader valve that run out back under the right fender and off under the seat area. It's a gusher. I think I have identified which one is leaking, but I can't find a diagram of how it works and I think I might be taking the seat and floor out to get to it.

I am about 100 yds from my house/garage in a field. Given that it's gushing out whenever the tractor is running, I have shut it off and left it there. I have started it a couple times with access covers removed from loader valve and seat/floor to identify which hose is leaking but can't really see how to get to any of it. Theres one that goes kind of on it's own towards the remotes valves. The other two are really crunched up with eachother and kind of under the HST pedal linkage. One of those has a tee off to something and the remaining hose is the gusher. I think it's the power beyond that goes to the backhoe.

1. Can I pull the directional valve lever out back to switch it to three-point hitch position even though the backhoe is on? I am hoping this will bypass the power beyond and stop the bleeding so I can drive it back up to the house and get it on concrete to work on it.

2. If that doesn't help me, can I drive this thing 100 yards or so where I can work on it without damaging anything or would I need to somehow tow it or fix it where it sits?

This kinda sucks. It's just a hose, but it's looking to be a real bugger and it's not a great to start to our new relationship.

I will check this in the am and come back with some pics and more info. Thanks for your help!

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
I had one fail while I was moving snow. It was the one that comes out of the bottom of the loader valve and winds up connecting under the seat. Took it to Oreillys and they made a new one. Was not a real tough job. I didn't have to remove the seat just the access panel where the 3pt adjuster is.
I think if you disconnect the lines to the backhoe and pull the levers the tractor wouldn't know it was there.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi,
It took me 5 days to blow a hose on my new L45 lol. I don't think I was doing anything abusive, just was time for that hose. I don't yet understand the hydraulics on this beast, but it's one of the (three?) hoses from the loader valve that run out back under the right fender and off under the seat area. It's a gusher. I think I have identified which one is leaking, but I can't find a diagram of how it works and I think I might be taking the seat and floor out to get to it.

I am about 100 yds from my house/garage in a field. Given that it's gushing out whenever the tractor is running, I have shut it off and left it there. I have started it a couple times with access covers removed from loader valve and seat/floor to identify which hose is leaking but can't really see how to get to any of it. Theres one that goes kind of on it's own towards the remotes valves. The other two are really crunched up with eachother and kind of under the HST pedal linkage. One of those has a tee off to something and the remaining hose is the gusher. I think it's the power beyond that goes to the backhoe.

1. Can I pull the directional valve lever out back to switch it to three-point hitch position even though the backhoe is on? I am hoping this will bypass the power beyond and stop the bleeding so I can drive it back up to the house and get it on concrete to work on it.

2. If that doesn't help me, can I drive this thing 100 yards or so where I can work on it without damaging anything or would I need to somehow tow it or fix it where it sits?

This kinda sucks. It's just a hose, but it's looking to be a real bugger and it's not a great to start to our new relationship.

I will check this in the am and come back with some pics and more info. Thanks for your help!
I am not real familiar with the L45 but that sounds like either the main pump supply or return hose on tthe loader valve. Operating the loader valve will not bypass it. Go get a hose and replace it before you do some real damage. You can buy a generic off the shelf 2 wire hose and a couple thread adapters at your local tractor supply as a temporary fix.

My question is what caused it to rupture? Hose may just have been old but it makes me worry you may have had one of the hydraulic selectors in the wrong position and created an over pressure condition. Have you read the manual and do you understand the operation of the hydraulic selectors? The L45 is kind of strange in that regard.

We have a couple L45 guys with more familiarity with those hydraulics that hopefully will chime in shortly.

Dan

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
That sucks on a new to you machine. Beware that Kubota does use some British thread fittings that look closely like NPT that have challenged my repairs and modifications. NAPA, Bobcat, TSC, etc don’t carry those. Luckily a close to us hydraulic shop knows all about them and can duplicate and upgrade any line while we wait.

Same issue with some grease fittings on Kubotas.

B20 I had used hydraulic lines that were not wire reinforced but synthetic fiber. Worked good till the rubber covering started to peel off after 20 years. After several ill timed hose failures, replaced all hoses with two wire HD ones mostly from Surplus Center.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Answers:
1. Yes, if the diverter solves your problem then great
2. If you have a massive leak you only have 10-15 gallons of hydraulic fluid and your pumps are brutally expensive to fix. I'd put it in neutral and tow it back to your shop.

Reactions: 1 users

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Thanks for the advices. I fixed it in the field. It was jammed in real tight against the frame and it rubbed through the sleeve and the hose.

It wasn't too bad to get to. Just was hard to identify which hose. It was the hose on the bottom of the loader valve to the top of the gear case/main pump - I guess that's the power beyond. I took it to O'really and they set me up. Topped up with my last gallon of SUDT and got it back home for some degreasing and cleanup + greased everything real good everywhere. All better.

Thanks!

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Ha, same hose. Tough part was getting the hose started on the fitting under the seat.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Sometimes cutting and securing a piece of old radiator hose or similar can help prevent a rub abrasion wear.

• Love