L4200 pto problem

Gjackson

Equipment
L4200 kubota
Apr 10, 2021
Michigan
Please help My pto works sometimes when I engage it and sometimes won’t do anything I’ve changed the oil and filter also adjusted the cable where I have maximum oil flow through. When it goes there is no problems but some times it spins until I use backhoe lever and it will just stop? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Gjackson

Equipment
L4200 kubota
Apr 10, 2021
Michigan
My pto works sometimes when I engage it and sometimes won’t do anything I’ve changed the oil and filter also adjusted the cable where I have maximum oil flow through. When it goes there is no problems but some times it spins until I use backhoe lever and it will just stop? Any suggestions?
Did I do something wrong here? Not one reply from anyone could use some help

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Did I do something wrong here? Not one reply from anyone could use some help
For me your description is not complete enough. Is this a new condition with some background leading up to it?

A L4200 can have a Glide Shift or manual transmission. You should provide this info.

A L4200 may or may not have a FEL. If you have one, assuming it is a Kubota one, provide the model number i.e. LA681

I do not think the L4200 has a mid pto but some tractors around that size do and they have a mid pto.

It would be helpful if you clarified the presence or absence of a mid pto

Are you saying the pto wont turn but then you talk about a change when moving a backhoe lever.

Is this condition happening when an implement is connected to the pto shaft?

Is this just an observation of the shaft with nothing connected but when the BH is mounted?

Hydraulic issues are complicated and many members avoid the questions which are not very clear.

I cannot find a free WSM which makes it harder to study the L4200 systems

This is a helpful group but you need to be patient. Weekend posts get less attention in my experience as it is only old ones like me who are on line on a nice weekend :)

Dave

Gjackson

Equipment
L4200 kubota
Apr 10, 2021
Michigan
For me your description is not complete enough. Is this a new condition with some background leading up to it?

A L4200 can have a Glide Shift or manual transmission. You should provide this info.

A L4200 may or may not have a FEL. If you have one, assuming it is a Kubota one, provide the model number i.e. LA681

I do not think the L4200 has a mid pto but some tractors around that size do and they have a mid pto.

It would be helpful if you clarified the presence or absence of a mid pto

Are you saying the pto wont turn but then you talk about a change when moving a backhoe lever.

Is this condition happening when an implement is connected to the pto shaft?

Is this just an observation of the shaft with nothing connected but when the BH is mounted?

Hydraulic issues are complicated and many members avoid the questions which are not very clear.

I cannot find a free WSM which makes it harder to study the L4200 systems

This is a helpful group but you need to be patient. Weekend posts get less attention in my experience as it is only old ones like me who are on line on a nice weekend :)

Dave
Ok I can give this info thank you it is a glide shift transmission it’s l4200 DT tractor without a mid pto I have the wsm. When I engage the pto the shaft will spin most of the time to my backhoe attachment but when you pull a lever on it the shaft will just stop turning sometime I just drive around then try again eventually it’s turning with full power and I can use the backhoe then I can turn it off and on but the other day I tried to use it and nothing then let it sit 10 minutes moved shaft by hand back and forth started tractor and it took off? I am going to test hydraulic pressure today any help is greatly appreciated

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I assume the hydraulic pressure test you are referring to is measured at the pto clutch engagement lever which should be 356 to 370 psi.

The WSM states L4200 with serial numbers from 50001 to 50818 do not have an accumulator.

Would your tractor fall into this range?

Dave

Attachments

Gjackson

Equipment
L4200 kubota
Apr 10, 2021
Michigan
I assume the hydraulic pressure test you are referring to is measured at the pto clutch engagement lever which should be 356 to 370 psi.

The WSM states L4200 with serial numbers from 50001 to 50818 do not have an accumulator.

Would your tractor fall into this range?

Dave
I will check serial number tonight after work and I checked the main hydraulic pressure it was 2275 book shows about 2350 min and 2489 max I shimmed it and now have 2425 psi the pto seems to work now when I try it it’s starts to spin then gradually goes faster and works this takes about 30-45 seconds that still don’t seem right I’m not sure where to connect gauge to the engagement lever I’ll look tonight in my book thank you for your help!

Gjackson

Equipment
L4200 kubota
Apr 10, 2021
Michigan
I will check serial number tonight after work and I checked the main hydraulic pressure it was 2275 book shows about 2350 min and 2489 max I shimmed it and now have 2425 psi the pto seems to work now when I try it it’s starts to spin then gradually goes faster and works this takes about 30-45 seconds that still don’t seem right I’m not sure where to connect gauge to the engagement lever I’ll look tonight in my book thank you for your help!
Ok I looked at the pdf I’ll check the pressure there if I can I know there are steel lines right in front of it

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Need serial number or does is it with IND-PTO or W/O IND-PTO, This is not a MID PTO difference.
They are 2 different animals on controls.

Gjackson

Equipment
L4200 kubota
Apr 10, 2021
Michigan
Need serial number or does is it with IND-PTO or W/O IND-PTO, This is not a MID PTO difference.
They are 2 different animals on controls.
It is with independent pto and I cannot remove plug to test the pressure there is there any other way to test if not I’ll have to get couple parts ordered and get back later to you

Gjackson

Equipment
L4200 kubota
Apr 10, 2021
Michigan
Guys I think we got figured out I was able to get the pressure to 370 and my pto winds right up with no hesitation I appreciate the help I am concerned why the pressure was so low? It was 250

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Guys I think we got figured out I was able to get the pressure to 370 and my pto winds right up with no hesitation I appreciate the help I am concerned why the pressure was so low? It was 250
It is possible with time internal seals leak a little more and pressure drops to the point where engagement is spotty.

In any event, thanks for letting us know all is OK

Dave

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Where are you checking that pressure and what did you do to change it?

Gjackson

Equipment
L4200 kubota
Apr 10, 2021
Michigan
Checked at the pto valve spool I finally got the plug out it shows how to adjust it in the wsm there is a regulator valve on the right side of the tractor