L4060HSTC PTO engagement

E.T

Equipment
B7510 , L4060 HSTC ,
Oct 24, 2023
Sunburst, Montana
New Tractor , has very harsh PTO engagement. It seems to slam into gear when hooked to my MX6 JD Mower.
Haven't tried it on other PTO equipment yet.
Its a hydraulic engagement that has no soft start as found on other tractors .
it will slam into gear and kill engine at an idle. One had to be very coordinated with two hands to get mower started. One hand to twist PTO engagement knob , the other on throttle to advance rapidly or it kills the engine.
Dealer says this in normal.
Anyone else have this problem and is it normal to slam in to gear ?
Is there an adjustment?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Starting something with a lot of inertia you might try a very brief bump on to get it started, another bump to get it spinning faster, then full on and go. Someone on here suggested that in response to same issue on another model so I tried it on mine and it still isn’t as smooth as feathering in with a clutch but it’s a lot smoother than just turning it on and letting it slam in.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Fastball714

Equipment
L4060HSTC, B3300SU
Feb 27, 2021
Georgia
HSTC doesn't have a clutch. I idle mine up a little before engaging the pto. No problems.

E.T

Equipment
B7510 , L4060 HSTC ,
Oct 24, 2023
Sunburst, Montana
Starting something with a lot of inertia you might try a very brief bump on to get it started, another bump to get it spinning faster, then full on and go. Someone on here suggested that in response to same issue on another model so I tried it on mine and it still isn’t as smooth as feathering in with a clutch but it’s a lot smoother than just turning it on and letting it slam in.
The owner's manual says not to do that , unless I miss read it.

FOX3

Equipment
MX6000, ZD1211
Oct 25, 2023
MD
I have a 2023 MX6000 that also has a hard pto start with my bush hog (RCR1872). I’ve tried slightly increasing the throttle prior to engaging, bump starting it by pressing the PTO switch a few times to get it up to speed, etc… with no luck smoothing it out. I ended up having to put a slip clutch on the bush hog since it was actually breaking the shear pin sometimes on startup. I haven’t tried it yet with any other pto implements. The dealer looked at everything and there aren’t any problems with the tractor or bush hog but it sure would be nice to be able to feather the PTO startup.