L4060 HSTC PTO takes a minute to disengage sometimes.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I have a 12' woods finish mower.

I always engage and disengage the PTO at idle.

If the mower keeps spinning and I put it is some tall grass it stops. If I wait a minute it stops. If I rev it and back to idle it stops.

It is not electrical because I can get of the seat and the tractor keeps running.

Maybe I should check the PTO operating pressure. When engaged it should be 363 to 413 PSI. When disengaged it should be 0 PSI.

The tractor has about 570 hours on it.

The Super UDT2 oil was changed 300 hours ago.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Lower rpm before disengaging. Too high on the rpms accelerates the pto brake wear.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

If the mower keeps spinning and I put it is some tall grass it stops. If I wait a minute it stops. If I rev it and back to idle it stops.

It is not electrical because I can get of the seat and the tractor keeps running.

Maybe I should check the PTO operating pressure. When engaged it should be 363 to 413 PSI. When disengaged it should be 0 PSI.

I got the Gauge hooked up. I went out and did some mowing. It started out at 250 PSI, after about 30 minutes it was 320 PSI. After about 45 minutes the gauge was pointing straight down. I thought the brand new gauge broke. It goes to 600 PSI so I think it was about 800 PSI.

The PTO did not shut off. The engine was at idle. I engaged the pto again and drove over to some high grass. I went back to idle and drove into the high grass. It shut off and the gauge went back to 0.

I ran the mower another 15 minutes and the gauge stayed at 320 PSI.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I got the Gauge hooked up. I went out and did some mowing. It started out at 250 PSI, after about 30 minutes it was 320 PSI. After about 45 minutes the gauge was pointing straight down. I thought the brand new gauge broke. It goes to 600 PSI so I think it was about 800 PSI.

The PTO did not shut off. The engine was at idle. I engaged the pto again and drove over to some high grass. I went back to idle and drove into the high grass. It shut off and the gauge went back to 0.

I ran the mower another 15 minutes and the gauge stayed at 320 PSI.
I am having a little trouble following that descrption but if I got it right the pressure is "normal" then goes way high then to zero. If that's right sounds like it might be a malfunctioning relief valve.

Dan

Last edited:

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
p
I am having a little trouble following that chronology but if I got it right the pressure is "normal" then goes way high then to zero. If that's right sounds like it might be a malfunctioning relief valve.

Dan
It is low for a while. Then a little low. Then way high. It goes to zero when I shut off the PTO.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

This is the Regulator.
1691093747965.png

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have to pull the third function and the RH tank to get to it.

#120 goes to a sensor like the sensor on the HST petal. I don't know what that is for.
Surely the WSM describes the operation and gives you test and trouble shooting guidance.

Looking at the parts diagram there is plenty of electrical involvement. Checking those sensors would seem to be a good use of time.

Dan

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

I hooked up the brush hog.
At .4 hours it was 340 PSI, .6 hours 600 PSI.
I idled it and shut off the PTO. I shut off as it should.
At .7 hours it was 800 PSI. I idled it and shut off the PTO. The light on the dash shut off. The PTO did not. I engaged the PTO and let idle for a minute. It went down to 600 PSI and it shut off as it should.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

I got this from Messick's
Issue:

On some HST models, the PTO will remain running after turning off the switch after the machine gets to operating temperature. When Pressure testing the system, dealers will see PTO clutch pressures well above the specified amount (600-800 psi).

Solution

Solution:

When experiencing this issue, remove the check ball and valve from the PTO clutch inlet elbow. See attached document for more information.

I have not done that yet. I would bet that will fix it.

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I’m having trouble seeing how removing something that was part of the original design by the manufacture, would be called a fix. Seems more like it would be a workaround.

So was this something that Kubota recommended be done? Did Kubota issue a service bulletin advising to do this? If it were my tractor, I would probably try this. But I’d also like to know where the idea came from…

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Surely the WSM describes the operation and gives you test and trouble shooting guidance.

Looking at the parts diagram there is plenty of electrical involvement. Checking those sensors would seem to be a good use of time.

Dan
The WSM does not mention high pressure.

The only electric is 1 wire to turn on the solenoid.

The rest is HST stuff.

1691156386243.png

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I’m having trouble seeing how removing something that was part of the original design by the manufacture, would be called a fix. Seems more like it would be a workaround.

So was this something that Kubota recommended be done? Did Kubota issue a service bulletin advising to do this? If it were my tractor, I would probably try this. But I’d also like to know where the idea came from…
Messick's said it is a Kubota knowledge article.

Reactions: 1 user

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I have to confess I have not read the WSM. Isn't it supposed to go to zero when you shut off the PTO?

Dan
It goes to Zero in about 1 second. If the pressure is not way high. About 800PSI.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I got this from Messick's
Issue:

On some HST models, the PTO will remain running after turning off the switch after the machine gets to operating temperature. When Pressure testing the system, dealers will see PTO clutch pressures well above the specified amount (600-800 psi).

Solution

Solution:

When experiencing this issue, remove the check ball and valve from the PTO clutch inlet elbow. See attached document for more information.

I have not done that yet. I would bet that will fix it.
Before I took out the check valve.
At .4 hours the pressure was 340 PSI.

At .6 hours the pressure was 600 PSI.
The PTO would still shut off.

At .7 hours the pressure was around 800 PSI.
The PTO would not shut off. You can even shut off the engine and start and the PTO is engaged.
Wait about 45 seconds and the pressure drops and it is normal for about 5 minutes.

After I took out the check valve.
At .3 hours the pressure was 280 PSI.

At .6 hours the pressure was 380 PSI.

At 1.4 hours the pressure was 380 PSI.

I think the problem is fixed.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

This is where the check valve is.

Attachments