L3901 with Land Pride SA20 hyd auger

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
I couldn’t find any information on this setup when ordering my tractor package. I could only find the Messicks video showing a B2650 (higher hydraulic flow than the L3901) and a few forum threads discussing various other brands of hydraulic augers.

I ordered mine with the Land Pride 3rd function valve and I have no complaints so far. These are only the 3rd and 4th holes that I’ve dug with it, so I’m sure with a bit more practice I’ll get better at figuring out when to float and when to add pressure.

It turns slow, but it does the job and it’s way easier than using a 3pt auger. These holes were 4’-5’ from a fairly large tree, so there’s lots of roots that the bit is chewing through with very little complaints.

https://youtu.be/60XqF_XWEsg

https://youtu.be/_u481jIni04

This is what we’re building. It’s surprisingly sturdy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Thanks for the videos. I am working on an auger project right now. I should have it all done this week.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you are liking your purchase! I can imagine working in front of you is much easier than working the 3 point. I'm not sure if this is a stupid question - does the hydraulic allow you to reverse the direction? That would certainly be an advantage over the 3 pt.

For those considering an auger, do make note of the speed of the unit. I plant 100's of trees each spring and that speed wouldn't work for my application.

Last edited:

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
I'm glad you are liking your purchase. I can imagine working in front of you is much easier than working the 3 point. Thank you for making note of the speed of the unit. I plant 100's of trees each spring and that speed wouldn't work for my application.

While it spins slow, it doesn’t necessarily dig slow. It digs faster than my friends 3pt auger just due to the ability of applying down pressure.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My 'down pressure' is provided by a fat gal hanging on the position rod of the 3 point auger. Won't say who the 'fat gal' is however.........:eek:

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
While it spins slow, it doesn***8217;t necessarily dig slow. It digs faster than my friends 3pt auger just due to the ability of applying down pressure.
That's interesting and does make some sense. I went out and looked at a couple more videos and my 3 pt does still appear quite a bit faster. I'm in sand however, so maybe that comes into play.

I'm a bit newer to tractors. I've never taken the time to fully understand how all this hydraulic stuff works. It makes sense to me how arms and a bucket can go up and down or tilt based on pressures. Admittedly, the concept of how how it can cause continuous spinning of an auger eludes me. My earlier, maybe dumb, question still stands. Can you turn the auger both directions?

Last edited:

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
That's interesting and does make some sense. I went out and looked at a couple more videos and my 3 pt does still appear quite a bit faster. I'm in sand however, so maybe that comes into play.
In clean sandy soil I'm sure a fast spinning 3pt would probably work better. In the videos, I'm digging through roots that are coming off of the tree and the auger didn't even know they were there.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
PTO augers tend to spin at around 100RPM.
I think LP named that one the sa20 because it spins about 20 RPM lol.

AugerTorque has models made for lower GPM units. I get 48RPM on the one I just purchased on a B2650

Hydraulic Front Mounted Augers,
1. Better digging depth (on smaller tractors you can get a 4' hole in one shot
2. Better visibility
3. Much better torque
4. No shear pins
5. REVERSE no more getting it stuck
6. DOWN FORCE
6. Much more comfortable
7. More control with the hydraulics vs clutch/pto
7. Can handle a dual tooth high flute bit (dig more aggressive/faster)

The guys at AugerTorque are propeller heads when it comes to augers. The bit you choose can double work or half the work, it makes a huge difference when you can add torque and down force to the mix.

Popgadget

Equipment
L6060
Mar 11, 2020
PA
Watching the YT video with a stop watch, I come up with 34 RPM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
A B2650 has 8.7gpm total … 3.? for steering and 4.? for the rest. An L3901 has 3.8gpm for steering and 6.3gpm for main hydraulics. An L3901 has more hydro flow … according to the Brochures.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
A B2650 has 8.7gpm total … 3.? for steering and 4.? for the rest. An L3901 has 3.8gpm for steering and 6.3gpm for main hydraulics. An L3901 has more hydro flow … according to the Brochures.

Ah, I must have read it wrong then. I thought the B2650 had slightly more GPM than the L3901.

Ken2step

Equipment
MX5200HST
Mar 22, 2020
Rock, Kansas
I couldn’t find any information on this setup when ordering my tractor package. I could only find the Messicks video showing a B2650 (higher hydraulic flow than the L3901) and a few forum threads discussing various other brands of hydraulic augers.

I ordered mine with the Land Pride 3rd function valve and I have no complaints so far. These are only the 3rd and 4th holes that I’ve dug with it, so I’m sure with a bit more practice I’ll get better at figuring out when to float and when to add pressure.

It turns slow, but it does the job and it’s way easier than using a 3pt auger. These holes were 4’-5’ from a fairly large tree, so there’s lots of roots that the bit is chewing through with very little complaints.

https://youtu.be/60XqF_XWEsg

https://youtu.be/_u481jIni04

This is what we’re building. It’s surprisingly sturdy!

I'm picking up an SA20 tomorrow to use on my MX5200. I bought the medium speed head which supposedly gives me more torque. Thanks for sharing your info and video!!
cheers,
Ken

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have well over 1000 holes dug with my hydraulic AugerTorque setup so far. Mostly for a buddy with a fence company, but I have also done a lot of footings and plantings as well.

You guys that think the 3pt is so great, you should try a hydraulic. I have had a 3pt auger for over 20 years and hardly ever used it. Up here, it is tough digging. Down pressure and reverse are huge game changers. Just a lot more control, power and flexibility and comfort with the QA mounted hydraulic unit.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I used this to dig some 18" holes yesterday. No problems at all.

View attachment 51455 View attachment 51456 View attachment 51457
If it was mine (it's not), I believe I'd have it mounted centered between the loader arms. Too great a chance of tweaking the arms when applying down force wit it offset like that.

If I did more holes, I'd probably have one but I don't and I added a weight box to my rear mount digger so I can put in a couple hundred pounds of steel in it. Works quite well for the few I bore.

If I did a bunch, I'd have one. I don't so the economics of one for me is moot.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
If it was mine (it's not), I believe I'd have it mounted centered between the loader arms. Too great a chance of tweaking the arms when applying down force wit it offset like that.

If I did more holes, I'd probably have one but I don't and I added a weight box to my rear mount digger so I can put in a couple hundred pounds of steel in it. Works quite well for the few I bore.

If I did a bunch, I'd have one. I don't so the economics of one for me is moot.
A few things there:

1. Having it in the center sounds like a good idea until you realize that you can't see the tip of the bit, so you HAVE to have someone on the ground guiding you.

2. Having it mounted on the side, I can get closer to existing fences/buildings/poles

3. You can put enough pressure on the bit to actually stop it from turning. As such, I typically go light on the pressure, so I'm not too concerned with tweaking the arms.

I usually just have a 9" bit on there for fence posts. I used the 18" bit to dig some 4' holes to form concrete light pole bases for our arena lights. If I were to be doing a ton of large holes in an area where I have to worry about roots or rocks, I'd probably mount it in the center position just for better stability. For what I typically use it for, the side mount works out the best.

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I might add, having a skid with couplers on the front, I'd go with that if I ever got one. No issue seeing where it is with a skid. Again, as it is, no need.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If it was mine (it's not), I believe I'd have it mounted centered between the loader arms. Too great a chance of tweaking the arms when applying down force wit it offset like that.......
You need to see it, and you need to get close.

You need to keep the center available for the concrete mixer.

ballast.jpg

Last edited: