L3901 w/LA525 FEL class and attachment type

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Hi all,

I have a 1 year old L2901 with LA525 FEL. I'm looking to purchase pallet forks. I'm seeing more specifications on class and attachment types than I was expecting. At risk of embarrassing myself, I'm going to admit that being relatively new to tractors, I'm a bit ill informed in general. Please correct and educate me.

Class - I knew there was a class rating for the 3 point hitch, but I didn't realize there was one for the FEL. I assume this is a reference to weight capabilities? What's the class of my LA525?

Attachment type - I'm seeing pallet fork postings that appear to separate skid-steer and universal attachment types. Are these different or one in the same? I believe I've come to understand that my LA525 has a pin-on type attachment. I thought this made it compatible with skid steer attachments, but I'm now I'm believing not? Would this be universal then? Something else?

Size and weight - I understand there is a load limit to the FEL and I obviously can do the math on subtracting the pallet attachment weight and determining load capabilities. However, since I'm posting, if you had any general guidance on size, weight, and length of forks I'm all ears! And I was thinking I'd go with the style as pictured below that has a rack to support taller loads, but it looks like these tend to reference being skid steer attachments. It certainly doesn't look like much to me, but does the rack add any significant weight and decrease my load capabilities too much?

Pallet fork.jpg

Thanks all. This site is much appreciated by those of us not in the know!

Last edited:

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Post a photo of your loader; where the bucket and the hydraulic curl cylinders join up.

The Standard L's like ours are in a class of their own; Class 1 (just kidding there isn't a class one but we can barely lift 1200 # on a good day) Class 2 starts at 2500 pounds...

Last edited:

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
A picture would be best but they do make pin on pallet forks if you do not have a quick attach (SSQA) setup. They are rare, but they do exist. However, if you plan on swapping attachments often, moving to a SSQA setup is likely the better choice.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Depending on what you want to do and how much of it you could also consider pallet forks on the three point.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
does your loader have two gray handles on the back side of the bucket like this?

SSQA.jpg

If so, you have a SSQA compatible loader that will accept SSQA (skid steer quack attach) implements. This feature allows you to swap from SSQA bucket to SSQA pallet forks (as well as just about any other SSQA implement) in seconds.

A far as forks, I'd say look for something in the 42" fork range for a good all around length. Make sure that the forks are adjustable (width) like in your picture and as light as you can get without compromising strength. Mine have a 2" square receiver mounted to the frame that is useful for moving trailers (just add a 2" square hitch).

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
If you do have a quick attach setup, it's hard to beat the Land Pride PFL1242 from a weight/performance perspective. They are on the pricey side though.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have SSQA on my L3901, I use the following forks UA 42” PALLET FORK FRAME ATTACHMENT WITH HEADACHE RACK AND HITCH | MADE IN USA. They are the perfect fit with the loader, fork set up is about 289 lbs and leaves a real world lifting capacity of about 1,000 lbs on a pallet (away from pin). Headache rack is needed for protection, you can buy without the hitch connection to save a little money. What ever brand you buy my key comment would be do not buy forks that do not adjust the full with of the frame. Do not buy non adjustable forks.

I see a recommendation for Land pride forks 1242 above, they will work for you, they are lighter and will allow you to lift more however they are rated at 1,200lbs that is for a pallet load equally spread across 2 forks, THERE IS NO SAFETY MARGIN USING THOSE FORKS. The UA forks I recommended are rated at 4,000 lbs, they have a high safety rating. You should care about safety rating as you may lift on one fork only or lift uneven loads.

good luck with your selection and use.

Last edited:

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
I have SSQA on my L3901, I use the following forks UA 42” PALLET FORK FRAME ATTACHMENT WITH HEADACHE RACK AND HITCH | MADE IN USA.
I did a search and got a lot of hits on "UA pallet forks." Is UA a brand or a standard? If a standard, what brand did you buy?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I did a search and got a lot of hits on "UA pallet forks." Is UA a brand or a standard? If a standard, what brand did you buy?
Brand UA is United Attachments - Made in USA product, nice quality, nice paint finish.

I own a 48” UA fork set for my MX 5800 and 42” UA fork set for L3901, I have a UA V2 receiver mount for use on tractor and track loader. UA fork frame is reasonable weight but high strength. UA is USA made.

There are a ton of good fork options in the market place, just remember headache rack, width adjustable and have a safety factor in capacity. I would not buy forks that are not rated for at least 2,000 lbs, combined rating for both forks.

Did you determine that your loader is SSQA and has the 2 levers?

Last edited:

Timmer92

Equipment
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Post a photo of your loader; where the bucket and the hydraulic curl cylinders join up.
I will try to get a picture posted. I don't have lights in my shed so weekdays are tough with work hours. I'm pretty sure I have SSQA but we will confirm that!

Last edited:

JohnMackenzie

Equipment
B6200, L3901, LA525, BH77, MK Martin 60" Mower, Agrotrend C60, ect.
Oct 7, 2020
Ontario
If you don't have the ssqa but plan on swapping between your bucket and forks often (more than twice a month) I'd recommend investing in the land pride quick attach, plus you might find more attachments you'll want to buy that use an ssqa setup, a 1200 lb capacity set of forks will be more than enough for your loader seeing as most of them in that capacity are around 300-350lbs, plus the weight of the ssqa if you have it, the headache rack on the forks adds less than 40-50lbs to the setup if it's made of ¼" or ⅜", I personally have never seen a pin on set of forks in person but they do exist, Seeing you live in the us, depending on your stance on buying USA made Vs Canadian made, I'm biased towards the hla HD1242 forks because they're made here in Ontario and they're ideal for my needs. Hopefully you already have a quick attach because it'll make life a lot easier. Good luck in your search

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Easiest way to identify is the two black levers behind the bucket (see dirtydeeds post above). If you have these, you have SSQA and either the Land Pride that I mentioned previously or the Everything Attachments 42" for small compact tractors would be a good fit for your machine.

Timmer92

Equipment
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Thanks all. Here is a picture of my FEL. Yes, it's dirty, no that's not rust!

Tractor FEL Connection.jpg

Last edited:

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
SSQA it is. I have the same Land Pride front blade. Be relieved as this is by far the better of the two options.