L3901, L4701, or MX5400

Tacoma16

Dec 12, 2019
Michigan
Looking at purchasing a L3901 (32hp pto), L4701 (39hp pto), or MX5400 (46hp pto). Wanted to get advice on what the right tractor for my use is. Looking at 4wd HST with loader on all models.

The primary use is to rotary cut about 15 acres. Grass can get thick at times (usually in spring) but I try to cut it once a month. Will either use a 5 or 6ft cutter. Regardless of size I use I want to be able to go about 3.5 to 4 mph. I have attached a picture of the worst of what it will be rotary cutting. That’s about 3 ft tall.

Other than rotary cutting will be used to snow blow and light loader work.
DD73A045-66B3-4EA1-97E4-F98C59F58F34.jpeg

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Any of the three will work with the exception of the ground speed. The 3901 you may need to slow down a bit. I would think that the budget would be a big factor. The 5 ft implements a little slower, less money. Larger tractor 6 ft implements faster but more money. Do you see your needs changing anytime soon? Do you have a place to store the tractor? Buy a smaller tractor and build a shed as apposed to big tractor setting out in the weather. And right now which tractor can be found to buy? Some of the dealer lots are getting a little light on inventory.

And just to mix in something else, smaller tractor with a cab. Those winter days can be chilly. Much more pleasant but slower. I think it is a balance of money/time/long term objectives.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you want a front mounted snow thrower determine the hydraulic flow required to run it. If using a rear snow thrower it wouldn't matter. Cutting more frequently would permit a smaller tractor but the narrower mower would take longer to do the job each time.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have a L3901 and a MX5800, for what you have advised for your use I think any of the tractors would work out fine. The other thought is the loader, I tend to use the loader more on my MX5800 with forks due to the increased lift height and load capability. The L3901 with a set of 42" forks will just lift my 800lb chipper out of my pick up but is at the max capability. If you are only having one tractor my advice would be to buy the MX5400, it will run a 6' heavy duty brush hog, will be great for any heavy ground work and will have enough loader capacity to do most things you want to do.

I'm not saying bad things about the other models, I really like my L3901, the PTO HP is great, it's a great all round tractor, I just find the loader capability a little too light for my overall use.

You say you are only looking at light loader work, if you can live with the loader capacity of the L3901 it will run well with a 5' brush hog. I've run a 6' rear snow blower on the L3901 which worked great. For what you save from an MX5400 to a L3901 you can fit a front 3rd function and 2 sets of rear remotes. The L3901 will also save on fuel for you. If you opt for the L3901 buy a telescopic stabilizer kit (Part # L8430) just under $200, makes mounting rear attachments much easier.

Good luck with your selection.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Looking at purchasing a L3901 (32hp pto), L4701 (39hp pto), or MX5400 (46hp pto). Wanted to get advice on what the right tractor for my use is. Looking at 4wd HST with loader on all models.

The primary use is to rotary cut about 15 acres. Grass can get thick at times (usually in spring) but I try to cut it once a month. Will either use a 5 or 6ft cutter. Regardless of size I use I want to be able to go about 3.5 to 4 mph. I have attached a picture of the worst of what it will be rotary cutting. That’s about 3 ft tall.

Other than rotary cutting will be used to snow blow and light loader work. View attachment 47022
That's a lot of mowing. I wouldn't consider a 5 ft mower. Will the MX lift a 7 footer? Also, SSQA and 3rd function for that grapple you need.
:)

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
If money is not a problem, go with the biggest you can. You will see that advice quite often and I can't disagree with it. I would have liked more horsepower on my L2501, but I got it for general loader work and the backhoe and I didn't want DPF. I have an older 68 hp tractor that can do the heavier work when I need more pulling or PTO power. If you will only have one tractor, you may find down the road a smaller tractor with less hp may not be the best for the situation.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
If mowing speed is the important issue you could look at this: https://www.rhinoag.com/products/rotary-cutters/flex-wing/ts10/.

It should cut down on the mowing time. It requires only 25 hp but if you have hills I would go with the bigger tractor.
If I missed nothing it is 10 feet wide cut and for 25 hp for pto that is only 2 1/2 hp per foot. To me that would be amazing. Then we don't know how light of cut they are talking about.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have a L4600, was looking to buy a L3800 but the L4600 came up for sale in the town I live in. it was used with 176 hours on it, in good shape and the price was right so I got it. It was an excellent choice, glad I went with it over the L3800.

The odds of you looking for a MX5400 and my cousin just bought one last week.

It is considered more of an industrial version or more heavy duty than the L series.

I looked it over last Thursday, it is a beast. He went with remotes for front and rear, and R1 tires. Plan to talk with him this week about it, he was not around when I stopped by. I saw he had moved some round bales with it curious how it handled them. He has a 6' brush hog he will use for his pastures.

after I talk with him on his initial thoughts on it I'll report back.

Good luck.

Jay

lewgar

Jun 22, 2020
Canonsburg, PA
I have a L4600, was looking to buy a L3800 but the L4600 came up for sale in the town I live in. it was used with 176 hours on it, in good shape and the price was right so I got it. It was an excellent choice, glad I went with it over the L3800.

The odds of you looking for a MX5400 and my cousin just bought one last week.

It is considered more of an industrial version or more heavy duty than the L series.

I looked it over last Thursday, it is a beast. He went with remotes for front and rear, and R1 tires. Plan to talk with him this week about it, he was not around when I stopped by. I saw he had moved some round bales with it curious how it handled them. He has a 6' brush hog he will use for his pastures.

after I talk with him on his initial thoughts on it I'll report back.

Good luck.

Jay

Other than rotary cutting will be used to snow blow and light loader work. View attachment 47022
I just got an MX5400 and used it for the first time this weekend for about 8hrs loader and backhoe work. I looked at the L4701, but the price difference to bump up to MX5400 with the additional stability and weight, I am in hilly WV, it made more sense to have a bit more power and be able to use larger implements. For brush hogging I would go with the heavier MX5400 for being able to pull the 6' brush hog.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
If I missed nothing it is 10 feet wide cut and for 25 hp for pto that is only 2 1/2 hp per foot. To me that would be amazing. Then we don't know how light of cut they are talking about.

It sayeth: cutting capacity 2". Does that mean 2" tall grass (why bother ) or 2" diameter saplings (unbelievable) or something else?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The 2" refers to cutting a 2 " sapling. I would think this would be ok for maintaining a pasture but I think I would take a smaller/heavier cutter to clean up a field. Then you could keep up with the TS10.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Thanks, it's hard to imagine that wide of a mower with that little HP cutting too many 2" sapplings all at once.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thanks, it's hard to imagine that wide of a mower with that little HP cutting too many 2" sapplings all at once.
Yeah, I'd interpret that as "you won't break it by cutting things up to 2" thick", rather than meaning "you can cut a whole field worth of 2" saplings at full speed".

A mower like that is a great machine, but my thought would be you need a different machine for first (and maybe second) pass to knock the worst of it down, then a flex-wing that you'd probably need to do at least once a month to keep on top of things. If it grows back too much you'd be loading that pretty heavily. You could borrow that first machine - a brush hog from a neighbour, or rent one, or just hire it out first time.

Tacoma16

Dec 12, 2019
Michigan
Thanks for all the advice. My local dealer has a l4701 and a mx6000. Going to get quotes on both but I know the MX is going to be substantially more.

I’m probably going to stick with a 6ft cutter because I’m too cheap to buy a 10 or 12ft and I question the ability to run it in tall grass with that low of an hp tractor.

Right now using a borrowed tractor and a 6ft cutter. I can get through it in about 6 hours but that’s at around 4.5 mph per speed tracking app. The tractor I’m using though is 60 pto hp. If I can at least keep the speed at 3.5 mph I don’t think it will take too much longer. And it’s only once a month.

Looks like I have narrowed it down to a l4701 or MX5400/6000. Leaning towards 4701 due to cost. But the drop of 20 pto hp concerns me, but I’m sure 60 pto hp is overkill?

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Given that I'm using 60 year old equipment, but I save a lot of time by mowing slower anyway. I have pastures that I mow once a year with a 50 hp Ford and a 6 foot rotary mower. I could mow in 2nd or 3rd, but then I'm breaking stuff--shear pins for sure and normally more. I just mow in first. It probably doesn't take more time, and if it does the time is much more pleasant.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Thanks for all the advice. My local dealer has a l4701 and a mx6000. Going to get quotes on both but I know the MX is going to be substantially more.

I’m probably going to stick with a 6ft cutter because I’m too cheap to buy a 10 or 12ft and I question the ability to run it in tall grass with that low of an hp tractor.

Right now using a borrowed tractor and a 6ft cutter. I can get through it in about 6 hours but that’s at around 4.5 mph per speed tracking app. The tractor I’m using though is 60 pto hp. If I can at least keep the speed at 3.5 mph I don’t think it will take too much longer. And it’s only once a month.

Looks like I have narrowed it down to a l4701 or MX5400/6000. Leaning towards 4701 due to cost. But the drop of 20 pto hp concerns me, but I’m sure 60 pto hp is overkill?
I only still have my 4ft cutter leftover from my previous smaller tractor. I have no doubts that my L4701 HST would run a 6ft cutter through my field that gets dotted with 1" saplings. I've found that a lot of Cat1 implements like cutters have 40HP gearboxes. If you got more than that at the PTO, you will probably need to consider Cat2 implements = more $$$. The L has a smaller front axles and wheels, so it will probably turn a tighter radius, while the MX will probably handle transporting heavier loads in the bucket with a beefier front axle. I was also considering an L3901, but stepped up to the L4701. I briefly looked at the MX4800 which everyone said was a no brainer over the L. I decided that the L was already overkill for what I need and took the $1200 I saved to install third function and a set of rear remotes. I have no regrets.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I do not see anything in that photo that would give any of your choices a problem. If the whole area is the same you can go with any of them. I routinely do my 8 acres with my L4400 (37.5 PTO) and a 6 foot Bush Hog 286 in about 2.5-3 hours. Now I keep it cut very short, as it is part of my 'yard'.

Personally I would probably bump up to the 4701 for resale and power.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I do not see anything in that photo that would give any of your choices a problem. If the whole area is the same you can go with any of them. I routinely do my 8 acres with my L4400 (37.5 PTO) and a 6 foot Bush Hog 286 in about 2.5-3 hours. Now I keep it cut very short, as it is part of my 'yard'.

Personally I would probably bump up to the 4701 for resale and power.
dochsml brings up a good point about HP rating. We've had a Bush Hog 286 (6') for about 25 years with no problems. Just keep it reasonably clean and in a shed to keep wet grass from making rust. It has Class I (II optional) hitch and 110 HP rated gearbox. Brochure says 2-1/2" capacity and I've cut an occasional sapling that large. It weighs 900 - 1000 lbs and the Ford (model 3930 - 50 HP 2wd) we pull it with has plenty of power, but gets a little light in the front when it's lifted. I would just warn OP to make sure whatever he buys can safely lift the cutter as well as power it. I assume the FEL and 4wd add enough front weight on your L4400 without additional weights?

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
dochsml brings up a good point about HP rating. We've had a Bush Hog 286 (6') for about 25 years with no problems. Just keep it reasonably clean and in a shed to keep wet grass from making rust. It has Class I (II optional) hitch and 110 HP rated gearbox. Brochure says 2-1/2" capacity and I've cut an occasional sapling that large. It weighs 900 - 1000 lbs and the Ford (model 3930 - 50 HP 2wd) we pull it with has plenty of power, but gets a little light in the front when it's lifted. I would just warn OP to make sure whatever he buys can safely lift the cutter as well as power it. I assume the FEL and 4wd add enough front weight on your L4400 without additional weights?
I do have both 4WD and FEL. I have never noticed any problems picking it up, although I really never do, but it is quite heavy. Put new blades on and cuts like my BH finish mower, just not as low.

Reactions: 1 user