L3901 Block heater

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Re: 3901 Block heater

I want to install a block heater in my 3901 any suggestions appreciated
Search amazon for kat block heaters... If you want to do it cheap, search craigs list for coleman single burner camp stove, that's what I use in barns without 'lectricity... Just shim it up, so's its about 4" under the oil pan, and you might have to use a couple sheets of plywood, and a tarp, if the barn is windy...:D:D

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI

I got mine for $70ish from the dealer. Installs easily enough, once the freeze plug is out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

retyred57

Equipment
L3901 HST, Ag tires, LA525 FEL, Landpride 66" boxblade, BE 60" rotary cutter
Aug 3, 2015
Ontario, Canada

Mine came with a block heater, maybe it's a standard item in northern climates. Unfortunately I don't have hydro at my bush lot where the tractor is used:(

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent

5-Star Manufacturing out of Tennessee makes (imports) the Kats Line of heaters.

Install the red T-shape heater in the lower radiator hose, coil up the wire where it doesn't get snagged, and you're good.

Plug it in on a timer overnight if you can plan ahead when you'll need it in the morning. Mine takes about 2- (no more than 3-) hours to bring it up to temp.

At 0-deg F after heating my glow plug lamp barely flickers and she starts right up every time with no smoke.

Ours are plugged in ahead of starting anytime the temp drops to 40-F and below. Overly cautious but easier on machine, battery, entire system.

Add also a Schumacher on-board automatic battery tender. Avoid Harbor Freight's similar model. Our charger is plugged in continuously from about now through March.

For the heater be sure to use the red Kats "T" type; O'Reilly's lists a silvery soft-ball size cross-reference model that is NOT equivalent in size or wattage heat output.

For the effort and ease, I perfer the lower radiator hose heaters compared to freeze-plug type. Personal preference and your choice. Kats makes both. My dealer sells Kats as their after-market add-on.

You can search this Forum and turn up many many strings on the same subject.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I want to install a block heater in my 3901 any suggestions appreciated
I'm in the exact same boat. My L3901 starts perfectly fine in the cold, but I'd feel better with a block heater and they aren't terribly expensive (dealer told me $85 but I am seeing them cheaper online). I think I found the threaded plug with the 17mm hex in it that needs to come out but it seems like a pain in the butt to get to. I think I may let the dealer install this, maybe I'll get a rear remote valve installed as well. Anyone have pics of their installation of the block heater?

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I'd vote for the block heater as it heats the engine block area most directly. Installed one on my Kubota and it's a simple job. As others said, it's very effective. The frost plug on my engine was very easy to get to. I don't know your machine but unless you just can't get to the plug I'd be hesitant to take it to the dealer since it's such an easy installation.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I think I found where it goes, the DPF filter and bracket is crowding the area

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

thomasnchy

Jan 29, 2016
Cheyenne, Woming
That looks to me like the water pump port for a heater option on a cab model. The block heater would be installed in a freeze plug on the block. The last 3901 I installed a block heater on had a knock-out style freeze plug, and was just in front of the starter.

Last edited:

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
that looks to me like the water pump port for a heater option on a cab model. The block heater would be installed in a freeze plug on the block. The last 3901 i installed a block heater on had a knock-out style freeze plug, and was just in front of the starter.
thank you!